ive just put a new nut and saddles on my strat type guitar and im haveing big issues with frett buzz, i have to set the action really hight so it doesnt buzz, then its horrible to play because of the hight of the strings! please help!?
Rock N FKn Roll!!!

Own~
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Bc Rich Mocking Bird ST
Kramer Ferrington KFS-2
Epiphone Special Les Paul
Peavey Milestone III Bass
Could you post some pictures of the string height at the nut, 7th fret, and 21st fret?

It could be that your nut is cut wrong, or you might need a truss rod adjustment.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
Put the action where you want it, then fret the highest fret and the first fret and look at the 7th fret. If the string is touching/very close, you'll probably just need to tighten the truss rod a bit
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
ok thanks guys massive help ill do that now and seeif i can get some photos up
Rock N FKn Roll!!!

Own~
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Bc Rich Mocking Bird ST
Kramer Ferrington KFS-2
i tryed the 1st fret and last and at the 7th there was an alright hight, plus the cameras out of battery. the D and G are completel fretted out and the rest die out near 10-12 :/
when at the action i want it to be*
Rock N FKn Roll!!!

Own~
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Bc Rich Mocking Bird ST
Kramer Ferrington KFS-2
I think there may be something wrong with the nut or the saddles. I'm not very good with this stuff so I'm afraid I can't really help you Is the nut the same height as before or lower?
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
Quote by UKMaster
Put the action where you want it, then fret the highest fret and the first fret and look at the 7th fret. If the string is touching/very close, you'll probably just need to tighten the truss rod a bit

um wut?

If it's touching/very close he shouldn't tighten it more.

People are so eager to mess with their truss rod before they actually know it's reasonable limits.

Here's some good info on truss rod adjustment

Generally, you want to know your manufacturers recommended specifications for the truss rod, as well as their recommended way to check it. But you can fiddle with a it a little each way to get it to where it feels right to you.
I thought you tightened the truss if there was an Upbow i.e the strings touching the frets?
Quote by UKMaster
I thought you tightened the truss if there was an Upbow i.e the strings touching the frets?

Typically, tightening(turning it clockwise) will counter the forward bow caused by string pull on a two way truss rod.
Quote by W4RP1G
Typically, tightening(turning it clockwise) will counter the forward bow caused by string pull on a two way truss rod.

Ahh I understand, sorry
is the trem bridge balanced or ass end in the air?

what frets and strings is the buzzing?

does the buzz transmit thru the amp?

two things to do.

1. fret between the 2nd-3rd fret low E, then each string, one at a time.
with it held, make sure that the string is NOT laying on the 1st fret.

when held the string should just be a hair up from the fret.
if it's too close to see, then tap the 1st fret and make sure you get a tap noise.

-this was to check that the nut cuts, and nut is at the correct height.

2. like said, check the truss rod.

Fret the Low E first fret, at the same time,
Fret the Low E last fret, around the 19th, where the neck and body meet.

with both places held, look at the middle frets, around the 7-9th frets.

is the string laying on those frets there?
can you fit a medium pick under the string in that gap without moving the string?
can you fit more in that gap?

quote this post and answer these questions and i'll help fix your problems.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011