I don't play loud and always at home. The idea isn't financially driven, I could go out and buy a Mark V this afternoon if I felt I needed (wanted) to. I KNOW I'm not doing the beastly 6505 any justice, but I still love it. But it is rather noisy :P

At low volumes, am I really going to notice the difference between the 6505 212 and the 6505 modeling on one of the tube vypyrs? I could sell my combo + pedals + bcb-60 and be not far behind with the vyper head + mesa 2x12 rectifier cab and the sanpera footswitch. Or just go with the 60w tube combo and use the extra money for a set of BKP Warpigs

The ability to switch from very good cleans, then back and forth between 6505 and mesa type tones is very appealing!

Or just say $^#& it and buy an attenuator for the 6505
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
I would make sure and play the hell out of the vypyr in the store before thinking about doing it. If you are wanting to downgrade volume wise from something so beastly you might try out a Jet City combo or the 20w head.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
I've got a Vypyr and i love it, great cleans as well as some real nice dirties with the 6505 setting. It's a great amp, and if your not recording or gigging then it should suit you just fine. It does seem a bit blasphemous to sell your 6505 head just to get something that replicates the 6505 and quieter levels though.
If you want cleans as well maybe a XXX/JSX/Ultra?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I own the two amps in question.

The 6505 model on the Vypyr Tube doesn't sound like a 6505. That said, the amp still sounds really good, and, more importantly, it sounds good at whisper quiet volumes, and even better at ear shattering volumes. The 5150 (6505) on the other hand, sounds like crap below 1. And since you own the amp, you know how ****ing loud anything over 1 on that amp is.

If you're looking for actual 6505 tone, I'd probably get an attenuator. If you're just looking for a good metal tone(s) at very low volumes, the Vypyr is your amp.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by DarthV
I don't play loud and always at home. The idea isn't financially driven, I could go out and buy a Mark V this afternoon if I felt I needed (wanted) to. I KNOW I'm not doing the beastly 6505 any justice, but I still love it. But it is rather noisy :P

At low volumes, am I really going to notice the difference between the 6505 212 and the 6505 modeling on one of the tube vypyrs? I could sell my combo + pedals + bcb-60 and be not far behind with the vyper head + mesa 2x12 rectifier cab and the sanpera footswitch. Or just go with the 60w tube combo and use the extra money for a set of BKP Warpigs

The ability to switch from very good cleans, then back and forth between 6505 and mesa type tones is very appealing!

Or just say $^#& it and buy an attenuator for the 6505

Try out the vypr. If you like it, then do it. Plus, you can buy some pedlulz with the spare change you get. When I played the vypr it sounded nice, cleans seemed better than the 6505 to me.

Plus you get all the modelling and such.

Aaand, if you got a podhd500 along with the vypr, you can have extremely authentic modelling.
At least it seemed like it to me. I tried some fender modeling on the vypr and pod and it sounded just like my hotrod deville
^ I wouldn't put a POD with a Vypyr. POD's need an FX loop to really be worth using with an amp.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by MonsterMetalMus
I've got a Vypyr and i love it, great cleans as well as some real nice dirties with the 6505 setting. It's a great amp, and if your not recording or gigging then it should suit you just fine. It does seem a bit blasphemous to sell your 6505 head just to get something that replicates the 6505 and quieter levels though.

Yeah, the whole idea of selling the real thing to simulate it is one of the reasons to think I'm crazy to even think about doing it

Quote by Cathbard
If you want cleans as well maybe a XXX/JSX/Ultra?

Since I'm not pushing the 6505 at home levels, cleans aren't that bad. The ability to change tones on the fly is very appealing though. Want the 80s Maiden tone? Click. Want the mesa tone from Master of Puppets? Done.

Quote by Offworld92
The 5150 (6505) on the other hand, sounds like crap below 1. And since you own the amp, you know how ****ing loud anything over 1 on that amp is.

If you're looking for actual 6505 tone, I'd probably get an attenuator. If you're just looking for a good metal tone(s) at very low volumes, the Vypyr is your amp.

Yes, on the lead channel with the gain set to 4-5, even 1 on the master is stupidly loud. As in ears going numb in under 20mins. Sounds awesome, but I'd rather still be able to hear music in 20 years!

How does the vypyr handle sustain -> decay -> feedback? Love the dynamics of the 6505 for that!

Just checked Peavey's dealer listing, none in my city. W-T-F? Was hoping L&M carried them, that way I could (ab)use the 30 day return policy
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by Offworld92
^ I wouldn't put a POD with a Vypyr. POD's need an FX loop to really be worth using with an amp.

Not really. Its a different approach to reach the same end game.

Using amp modeling before the actual amp, is basically like an eq with a tonestack. It still very very usefull, just not in your terms.
Quote by 00_hns_00
Not really. Its a different approach to reach the same end game.

Using amp modeling before the actual amp, is basically like an eq with a tonestack. It still very very usefull, just not in your terms.

using a modeler in front of a modeling amp is redundant. TS, i'd say go for it, but as has been said test out the vypyr because maybe it's tones aren't your cup of tea. on top of that, you have to figure out how to work the amp and make decent tones, but if you spend a bit of time with it its pretty simple.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I'll just echo what everyone else has said.

Play it first if you can.

It does not cop a spot on 6505 tone but it is nice enough as it is.

It is definitely more controllable at higher volumes and usable at lower volumes.

Headphone and USB jacks are nice.

Stock speaker seems fine to me. I have a the combo. Despite the open back it seems plenty tight. I'd love to play the head version on a 212 closed back tho.

If you can handle my crappy playing I have some clips in my profile of various amp models. Most of these had the Gain cranked and a flat EQ recorded with a Shure57/Audacity.

If you think you might like the added versatility of the Twin/Diezel/Dual Rec models then I would say go for it for sure. Those are my favorite. I kind of messed up the Twin/6505 clip because I spent no time dialing the 6505 model in and it in and was on the green mode vs red on the Vypyr.

anyway, you'll get the idea. Shredkev on youtube has some really good clips of the Vypyr 60. Hope that helps,

v....good idea

vv.....also a good idea
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 15, 2011,
Well if finances aren't really an issue and you don't have a problem affording a Mark V if you felt like it, why not go for an Axe FX? Bunch of amp models, bunch of effects. I don't really see a situation where you wouldn't be happy with it.
If you have the money for a Mark V at the moment, then keep the 6505 and buy the Vypyr anyway.

My 2 cents.
LTD Viper 1000 Deluxe
Simon & Patrick CW GT Vintageburst
Egnater Vengeance
ISP Technologies Theta (for sale)
ISP Technologies Vector (for sale)
Randall RG75DG2
Maxon OD808
Boss Super Shifter PS-5
Boss Chromatic Tuner TU-3
Quote by ChrisBW
Well if finances aren't really an issue and you don't have a problem affording a Mark V if you felt like it, why not go for an Axe FX? Bunch of amp models, bunch of effects. I don't really see a situation where you wouldn't be happy with it.

+1
if money isnt an option there are much better choices than a peavey vypyr.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Quote by ChrisBW

Was gonna say the same thing..

Axe is great with an interface - > PC - > computer speakers or if you wanna crank it through a poweramp and cab.
/rig
Quote by ChrisBW

BIG difference between being able to and willing to

311ZOSOVHJH, yeah I've listened to a lot of shredkev's stuff on youtube and I really like the sound of his setup.

Hrmm kind of like the idea of just trying one out. Too bad there's no local dealers

Possible that I might be more happy with my 6505 tone once I have my fender with the EMGs back in operation. As much as I love how alive and responsive the MoJoe in the Ibanez 540 is, it just doesn't really drive the amp hard enough for metal. Great for noodling with Satch type stuff tho! Hopefully the solderless pot & switch come in soon.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
BIG difference between being able to and willing to

The willing is the easy part - financing is the hard part.
If u have the dough, why not just buy the best and be done with it. No remorse getting rid of the 6505 that way, and it'l probably suite you forever.
I know I'm not contributing much, but please don't buy an attenuator for your 6505. That's just stupid.

That is all.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣