Hey, I've always been interested in trying to mix and master some songs, so I was wondering if anybody has any music that they need mixed that they can put in a .aup format, uncompressed. Not charging anything, and you don't have to use the mix, I just want to mix some songs for the hell of it.
I'm sure it's very likely you'll find any serious projects to mix, that were tracked in Audacity...

If you insist on using Audacity, instead of proper DAW's, I can only suggest you ask for raw audio stems instead (which is how most people upload them anyway, as uploading project files prevents people without the original DAW from being able to mix the tracks).
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Sep 15, 2011,
I'm not looking for anything serious, I just want to start off by doing some really low level, simple mixing work. All I'm looking for is something where I can play with panning, volumes, roll off, maybe some simple EQ work, etc. All of which, I know how to do in audacity, I just haven't been able to get tracks to experiment with. I'm interested in working as an audio engineer for a profession, so I'd like to be able to try out some large, broad stroke aspects of the process before I start investing in a real DAW or mixing boards or whatever else I would need to make at least a hobby out of audio production.
Quote by twtgd09
I'm not looking for anything serious, I just want to start off by doing some really low level, simple mixing work. All I'm looking for is something where I can play with panning, volumes, roll off, maybe some simple EQ work, etc. All of which, I know how to do in audacity, I just haven't been able to get tracks to experiment with. I'm interested in working as an audio engineer for a profession, so I'd like to be able to try out some large, broad stroke aspects of the process before I start investing in a real DAW or mixing boards or whatever else I would need to make at least a hobby out of audio production.

Yeah, but the problem is that noone, and I mean noone, who is likely to record a full band mix, is ever likely to use Audacity to track or mix, so the chances of you finding even one out of the very few decent Audacity-only users who is/was willing to upload a full project of theirs is effectively 0.

And as I said, noone who does upload full songs to mix ever does so by limiting it to one DAW. Trust me.
I see what you mean, but aren't these stems and raw audio files convertible to .aup, or openable in audacity? Also, I'm looking at other free DAWs now.
Last edited by twtgd09 at Sep 15, 2011,
Quote by twtgd09
I see what you mean, but aren't these stems and raw audio files convertible to .aup, or openable in audacity? Also, I'm looking at other free DAWs now.

I'm not sure you're understanding the .aup filetype correctly. .aup is just audacity's project file type (i.e the file it stores all the data in for a project). It doesn't contain any audio files or anything else... they're kept in a separate folder, and the .aup file just keeps a track of what the settings for everything were, which audio files to recall and at what position etc.

If you have the raw audio files to any project, all you do is create a new project in your DAW and import the audio files into new tracks and you're set to go - if the person exported the tracks properly, they'll have exported any regions in a song as part of a whole track on that channel, so that when you import it to your DAW it will still play at the same time/position in the song, because every audio file is kept the same length albeit with silence until the specific tracks play in the original project.

So really, you have no need for .aup files but you are much better off trialling Reaper and then trying to get the cash saved up to buy the license one day (if you have a conscience, as it's only $60 I believe) or even use it for a while for 'free' as the generous makers (Cockos) don't limit the software to only running for its trial period. Reaper is a fully-functional DAW, so would allow you to properly mix the tracks - Audacity is more of an audio analysis tool suited more to tracking what happens to waveforms when you do various stuff to them.
Ah, thanks. Yeah I just want the individual tracks but I figured I'd have better luck with .aup to save me some time importing to audacity. Anyway, I'll look into reaper. Now I just need someone who would be willing to take the time to send me the audio files and I'm good to go.
Why not record something yourself? If you're just looking to play around with some mixing software it doesn't have to be anything special, you could either just record a cover of something or just a random backing track that you make up whilst you play it.

Anyone who is able to record themselves in order to have songs ready to be mixed is going to be able to mix them themselves as well. I don't see why they'd send their work to someone who just wants to experiment with it.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud