I'm having trouble finding time to practice guitar. I only played for like 20 minutes yesterday, and nothing the day before

I also don't know what I should be practicing since I haven't talked to my friend who's been giving me lessons for the past year since I moved in.

What do?
Don't use college as an excuse for not having time for guitar. You have time you just use it in other ways. BE DEDICATED TO GUITAR and make time :P
i have time, i just don't know what to do lol. I'm sick of tabs and I'm having trouble teaching myself theory =\

It's been mostly finger drills for 20 minutes or so, some days I'll sit down for an hour. I need to know what I should do, really.
I guess it depends on what you want. I pick up techniques by learning my favorites songs and solo's. My most recent endeavor was Paul Gilbert's solo on teh Mr. Big song "The Whole World Is Gonna Know". Started sections at like 40bpm and worked my way up to the like 125 it normally is. Through that my fingers learn new patterns and the playing becomes more fluid.

That's just me though, I hate theory.
I currently attend college as well and yes it is hard to motivate yourself to practice sometimes, but 20 minutes isn't long at all you fingers are just warming up at that point, If you don't it I suggest you get guitar pro 6 it's effects are sound are pretty good quality and it's a great way to teach yourself how to play.

You have to look else where to expand your music theory, but as far as building up your skills and speed it works amazingly well.
I still have time to do all my homework/classes and practice 1-3 hours daily. IF you want to get better, write your own music, noodle around with idea's. It sounds like you are getting stuck on the technical side, make practicing musical and enjoyable and if you can do that I promise you can make time for playing.
I'm at University of Toronto and I play 4+ days/week. Granted, I'm not really trying to learn anything new just playing for fun.
A lot of it is time management but since you've said you have a bunch of time, you should focus on writing your own stuff and just messing around. A lot of my time in college is spent sitting in my dorm with GuitarPro open and writing songs.

I wrote this GuitarPro song yesterday in my dorm room.

http://soundcloud.com/ncatelli/new-metal-track-1

It's stuff like that that gets me buy in my dorm. I used to play a lot of covers and practice theory, but at the end of the day, it's writing original stuff that keeps me coming back to my guitar at the end of classes. Grab a good pair of headphones so you don't annoy anyone and you'll have a blast just jamming and making your own stuff... at least I do =P
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
You just have to manage/ plan your time. If you have spare time at college, dont waist it playing games, do any work you need to do, and when you have time in lessons to work, make sure you use it to its maximum potential, dont sit around day dreaming.

This will free up some guitar time as it will ease your homework pile.
sounds like you need something like this:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1423285

for motivation. pick a part of a song you totalllly dig, and stick with it. or maybe even 2 or 3 songs
i'm gonna try that 21 day challenge with led zeppelin's heartbreaker and the ocean solos.

30-45 minutes a day on each good enough? I have a lot of time to kill that's just spent sleeping or walking around aimlessly around campus lol. I'm not used to practicing with people here
hey if you dont want to make noise just unplug it and play.
i met one of my girlfriends by hanging my feet out my window and playing into the courtyard. she saw me and grabbed her guitar and sat out her window
like from a movie...

point is, use the guitar to your advantage while there! even if youre "not good" or whatever, you think most of the people walking by are any better? nahhh

that gf and i used to go out and sit in the grass and just hang out and id dick around on guitar.
biggest thing is to not be self conscious. its hard, but who cares what everyone else thinks, just go out, sit wherever is comfortable and focus on practicing. youll improve, and maybe youll meet some people and make a few friends!
You should probably drop out of college so you have more time to play your guitar. It just makes sense.
Instead of working on how to play guitar and working on technique, just sit down and play what you feel. Technique can really only get you so far, but feeling what your playing and being what you play is where you get your style. I'm sure there will be people to burn that technique is the most important thing, but in the last month I realized that you have to stop playing music, and start feeling music to truly become a better musician.

Read The Music Lesson by Victor Wooten as well. It's a life changing book.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
lol, I have a similar problem but the other way around. I play too much guitar and have no time to study college. If Ive learned anything the last year, its that guitars and college dont mix in a way. Also, what Arch said, just play music, if you concentrate too much on learning youll get bored.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Having the best technical chops in the world can't make a shitty song anything other than a shitty song. To hell with learning "proper technique," play what you like and what sounds good.
I neglected playing guitar for 3 years while I was at university. I now regret it. You just have to make time for it, like you would anything else in life.

I spent a lot of time in uni dossing around doing nothing. I could've been playing guitar then. So could you.

In terms of what you should be practicing there's plenty of resources online to use. Once you've got your technique pretty nailed (through exercises), learnt some theory so you know how music works then you can do pretty much what you want. Make sure you devote a substantial portion of your guitar time to practicing > playing though.

I find trying to write original stuff is the best way to practice aside from exercises etc.
Last edited by Duv at Sep 15, 2011,
Quote by Krauser
A lot of it is time management but since you've said you have a bunch of time, you should focus on writing your own stuff and just messing around. A lot of my time in college is spent sitting in my dorm with GuitarPro open and writing songs.

I wrote this GuitarPro song yesterday in my dorm room.

http://soundcloud.com/ncatelli/new-metal-track-1

It's stuff like that that gets me buy in my dorm. I used to play a lot of covers and practice theory, but at the end of the day, it's writing original stuff that keeps me coming back to my guitar at the end of classes. Grab a good pair of headphones so you don't annoy anyone and you'll have a blast just jamming and making your own stuff... at least I do =P

Not a bad song you got there, should convert it to GP6 format so that it's not MIDI though. Sounds o poor when it like that
im in college and i also work 20-25 hours a week and i still play 7-8 hours a week and i dont make the best of my time... you can find plenty of time if your motivated.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Quote by BigHeadClan
Not a bad song you got there, should convert it to GP6 format so that it's not MIDI though. Sounds o poor when it like that

Thank you! And I know haha but I'm a poor bastard and all I have is TuxGuitar so it's the GP file I just don't have anything to run it into a GP6 format haha. But yeah, I'd like to hear what it sounds like in a better rendering myself
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
oh yeah, my friends and i are starting a jam group/possible band. that'll keep me busy!!!

speaking of which, how much is too much reverb? it's my favorite effect after fuzz. And how much is too much fuzz?
i am going to be in the minority here but most and i mean MOST important thing in college is the classes and your studies. I remember living on 3-4 hours sleep from non-stop studying (being honest, not sarcastic). i worked my butt off in college but it was worth it. Now i have time to practice and play and my gear is better because i have a good job. I am not saying don't make time for guitar, keep it in your life but accept that you will have to devote time to college and studies first.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Dude, join a music society or get playing in a band (doesnt matter how good/bad). It is the best way to improve and you get a new social/friendship scene - - Ie having fun and practicing at the same time!!
My favourite time in college was while playing with a band, who happened to be my best friends anyway.

Zenbone has a point, but frist and second year are for fun so make the best of it, I got serious for the important study years, my playing is only now coming back to the standard it used to be at.
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
06 Fender Mex Strat - SDJb Jr, duckbucker, lil 59
Floor
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
Quote by Krauser
Thank you! And I know haha but I'm a poor bastard and all I have is TuxGuitar so it's the GP file I just don't have anything to run it into a GP6 format haha. But yeah, I'd like to hear what it sounds like in a better rendering myself

Ah shame, pm me if you try a live attempt with it. Then we really get to hear how it sounds