I searched Youtube for sweep tapping lessons, but can't seem to find any good ones.
I am new to sweep tapping. I wanna know where you keep your picking hand when doing this or what ever.

Just give me any info you can give.

Thanks,
Are you talking about tapping them out like 3 notes or so per string or just doing a sweep pattern and applying taps on the thinnest string?
It's spelled wiener.
There's not really much to it. Just move your picking hand closer to the fretboard as you progress down the strings, so you're where you need to be when the tap comes in, give it a firm pull off and pick back up the same way you came.
He probably mean like a sweep with a tap to extend the pattern.
By doing that, 2 octave arpeggios get way eaiser, but it's still hard to learn.
Anyways, there's is not a bit secret, since all you got to do is to learn to sweep (should be loads of good lessons of how to do it on YouTube) and just add a tap to the pattern.
Simply play so you feel comfortable with it, and don't push youself too hard doing this faster than neccesary.
If you haven't played for at least a year, and have other things to learn, suggest you to do that instead, since this technique is rarely used and very few guitarist make much use of it.
Quote by JB95
He probably mean like a sweep with a tap to extend the pattern.
By doing that, 2 octave arpeggios get way eaiser, but it's still hard to learn.
Anyways, there's is not a bit secret, since all you got to do is to learn to sweep (should be loads of good lessons of how to do it on YouTube) and just add a tap to the pattern.
Simply play so you feel comfortable with it, and don't push youself too hard doing this faster than neccesary.
If you haven't played for at least a year, and have other things to learn, suggest you to do that instead, since this technique is rarely used and very few guitarist make much use of it.

Ironically there's not much to teach about sweep picking, very much to practice though.
Quote by MaddMann274
I searched Youtube for sweep tapping lessons, but can't seem to find any good ones.
I am new to sweep tapping. I wanna know where you keep your picking hand when doing this or what ever.

Just give me any info you can give.

Thanks,

Get used to hammering on from nowhere, because your picking hand won't have time to keep moving back and forth between the body and the neck for tapping. Best to just keep it hovering over the neck.
Quote by mdc
Get used to hammering on from nowhere, because your picking hand won't have time to keep moving back and forth between the body and the neck for tapping. Best to just keep it hovering over the neck.

There's no reason you can't pick over the neck, it's what I tend to do when I'm doing these kinds of things.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
jeff loomis has some lessons on it and you can find those on youtube
Schecter BlackJack Atx v-1fr
Ibanez Gax70l Duncan Distortions
Peavey XXX
Peavey MS 412
Marshall MA 412
EVH Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
MXR Black Label Chorus
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
There's no reason you can't pick over the neck, it's what I tend to do when I'm doing these kinds of things.

Most of the time I find it really hard to pick though because you often would have to pick the very next note of the one that is tapped. Hammering out of nowhere is more convenient in my opinion.

I think sweep tapping is just something you can fiddle around with and come up with your own technique for. It's really hard to demonstrate to anyone, but if you break it down and figure it out it's fairly simple.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Quote by mdc

Or just pick over the neck. That will result in a warmer, more fluid legato sound. I don't see any disadvantage to that.

When I have sweeping passages that incorporate tapping, I tend to move my pick at an angle diagonally towards the neck on the downstroke and away on the upstroke. That seems to clear up the bottom notes (which can get a little muddy when sweeping) and gives the upper notes more warmth and fluidity while putting my picking hand in position to tap as needed.
Quote by Geldin
Or just pick over the neck. That will result in a warmer, more fluid legato sound. I don't see any disadvantage to that.

I don't see how picking in the middle of a legato run can make it more fluid.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by Geldin
When I have sweeping passages that incorporate tapping, I tend to move my pick at an angle diagonally towards the neck on the downstroke and away on the upstroke. That seems to clear up the bottom notes (which can get a little muddy when sweeping) and gives the upper notes more warmth and fluidity while putting my picking hand in position to tap as needed.

I find that Left Hand Tapping is useful, if i want to extend the range of an arpeggio with Right Hand tapping.

On the descending part, my fretting hand index finger is kept close to the strings to mute, and my picking hand releases its thumb pad mute as I descend.

The left hand taps need to be hard and accurate as possible, and over time the technique will refine and the fingers will hammer down from a short distance with full power, which is due to an improvement in accuracy.

Having said that, I do like the warm tone you get from sweeping over the neck.

I just find that hammering from nowhere in a sweep tapping context is more economic, and a natural benefit to one's legato technique as well.
Last edited by mdc at Sep 17, 2011,
i would just keep my picking hand wherever you use it to sweep then tap the note with my middle finger and go back
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED