In this thread I had some problems with my Guitar action:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1478402

Anyway it was determined that the truss rod was causing the action to be higher towards the end of the fretboard.

So what way should I turn the truss rod so the strings are the same action all across the fretboard. I am thinking I should tighten it. Just need some help as the neck seems fairly straight (pics in last thread)

Thanks all
Turning it counter clockwise makes the neck bow, turning it clockwise makes it straighter.
edit: I didnt read your other thread but if the action is high, it's bowing too much. if it's too low, it's too straight.
Last edited by Necronomicon at Sep 15, 2011,
Cliffs of last thred
-Action was 2mm at 1st fret
-4mm from 12th-22nd
-Saddle is as low as it can go (FR)
-Neck seems straight (when I put a ruler on it it touches all the frets)
-I want action of 2mm over whole guitar

Also do I need to loosen the strings to adjust the Truss Rod?
Last edited by MegadethFan18 at Sep 15, 2011,
uhmmm someone once told me when i asked about truss rod stuff: it;s a thing when you don't know what to do, don't do it. Because it can REALLY **** up your guitar... ask someone for help...
Quote by Headphonehead
uhmmm someone once told me when i asked about truss rod stuff: it;s a thing when you don't know what to do, don't do it. Because it can REALLY **** up your guitar... ask someone for help...

That's what I'm trying to do. I just need to know what way to turn it.
Quote by Necronomicon
Turning it counter clockwise makes the neck bow, turning it clockwise makes it straighter.
edit: I didnt read your other thread but if the action is high, it's bowing too much. if it's too low, it's too straight.

If that were true, why don't you just turn your truss rod all the way clockwise and giving it a notch counterclockwise in the end? :|

Turning the truss rod clockwise makes the truss rod tighten, counteracting the tension put on the neck by the strings.
Turning the rod counterclockwise makes the truss rod loosen, letting the strings pull the neck up more.

Righty = tighty
Left = loosey

EDIT: also, truss rods adjustment isn't the rocket science that many people think it is (who are often people who just heard scare stories about warped necks, but have no actual experience with it). As long as you go in increments of 1/8-1/4 turn at a time, you will not **** your neck up, unless it's broken to begin with.
Last edited by xFilth at Sep 15, 2011,
I think I need to loosen it a tiny bit so that the action is even all over as opposed to being higher from the 12th fret down. However the truss rod won't budge either way (I have never tried to adjust it or anything in the past) I have taken the nut screws out and loosened the strings a little. Any ideas?
You shouldn't loosen strings when adjusting the rod. If it doesn't budge, it's probably broken in some way and should be checked by a tech.
Quote by xFilth
You shouldn't loosen strings when adjusting the rod. If it doesn't budge, it's probably broken in some way and should be checked by a tech.

You think? The guitar came with 9-42 and 3 springs in the back. I changed to 10-46 and a 4th spring in the back without adjusting the truss rod. Could that have broken it?
Quote by MegadethFan18
You think? The guitar came with 9-42 and 3 springs in the back. I changed to 10-46 and a 4th spring in the back without adjusting the truss rod. Could that have broken it?

No
Quote by xFilth
No

In that case I think it's just stuck or it was broken when I got it. Today is the first time I have taken of the truss rod cover. I'm going to try a little WD40 and see what's up and if it is still tight I might have to ask my Dad.
Quote by W4RP1G
Here's some good info on truss rod adjustments

Find out what the factory recommended gap is before you start adjusting.

Just had a quick look and that link looks great, thanks. I'll read it and then resume adjusting. I managed to loosen the truss rod but I think I actually need to tighten it to reduce the action.
Okay I have loosend the truss rod 1/2 a turn and it has done nothing as far as the action goes so I'm going to tighten it and if that does nothing I'll put it back to neutral and then reassess my gameplan.
Quote by MegadethFan18
Okay I have loosend the truss rod 1/2 a turn and it has done nothing as far as the action goes so I'm going to tighten it and if that does nothing I'll put it back to neutral and then reassess my gameplan.

nope.

this is what you do.

Fret the Low E at the first fret, at the same time,
Fret the Low E at the last fret, where the neck and body meet. around the 19th.

when held,

is the string laying on the middle frets, 7-9th?
can a medium pick fit in the gap at the middle frets without moving the strings?
can a credit card fit in the middle gap without moving the strings?

measure, post back and i'll tell you what to do next.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
nope.

this is what you do.

Fret the Low E at the first fret, at the same time,
Fret the Low E at the last fret, where the neck and body meet. around the 19th.

when held,

is the string laying on the middle frets, 7-9th?
can a medium pick fit in the gap at the middle frets without moving the strings?
can a credit card fit in the middle gap without moving the strings?

measure, post back and i'll tell you what to do next.

Oh...

I tightened it and now the action is the same as the Kramer 1mm at first fret, 2mm at 12th fret and a little higher than 2mm after the last fret. (I think it might feels)
a little bit higher, but I am starting to chase the dragon)

Before I touched the truss rod if I fretted 1st and where the body meets the neck the string was touching the frets 7-9 . It still touches the fretboard after tightening the truss round 1/2 turn. I had to tighten it, if anything loosening it 1/2 turn made the strings even higher.
Quote by MegadethFan18
Oh...

I tightened it and now the action is the same as the Kramer 1mm at first fret, 2mm at 12th fret and a little higher than 2mm after the last fret. (I think it might feels)
a little bit higher, but I am starting to chase the dragon)

Before I touched the truss rod if I fretted 1st and where the body meets the neck the string was touching the frets 7-9 . It still touches the fretboard after tightening the truss round 1/2 turn. I had to tighten it, if anything loosening it 1/2 turn made the strings even higher.

ok if right now, the string lays on the middle frets when you fret the first and last,

then i need you to tun the truss rod counter clockwise 1/4 turn.
dont force the turn.
then tune up and let the guitar settle.

later, you can again measure.

if the string lays on the middle frets, when the first and last fret are held,
if that string still lays on the middle frets,

then again, dont force the turn, but turn Counter clockwise 1/4 turn.
tune up and let the guitar settle.

that is the correct direction. take your time and
always measure and let settle.

eventually the string should lift off the
middle frets slightly, and with a balanced bridge, that should help your action.

provided you dont have any really high frets throwing off the whole board.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
ok if right now, the string lays on the middle frets when you fret the first and last,

then i need you to tun the truss rod counter clockwise 1/4 turn.
dont force the turn.
then tune up and let the guitar settle.

later, you can again measure.

if the string lays on the middle frets, when the first and last fret are held,
if that string still lays on the middle frets,

then again, dont force the turn, but turn Counter clockwise 1/4 turn.
tune up and let the guitar settle.

that is the correct direction. take your time and
always measure and let settle.

eventually the string should lift off the
middle frets slightly, and with a balanced bridge, that should help your action.

provided you dont have any really high frets throwing off the whole board.

If I 1/4 turn it it will only be 1/4 tighter than it was originally and originally the action was way too high and if I fretted 1 and 19 the strings touched at 7th to 9th. I have put all my guitar stuff away and I'm about to go to bed but I'll investigate tomorrow as I'm guessing you know a lot more than me. Right now though when I fret the strings it feels like I just have to touch them it is wonderful! I was hoping that tomorrow I would be able to finish tuning up (B and e) and then get back on the saddle.
Quote by MegadethFan18
If I 1/4 turn it it will only be 1/4 tighter than it was originally and originally the action was way too high and if I fretted 1 and 19 the strings touched at 7th to 9th. I have put all my guitar stuff away and I'm about to go to bed but I'll investigate tomorrow as I'm guessing you know a lot more than me. Right now though when I fret the strings it feels like I just have to touch them it is wonderful! I was hoping that tomorrow I would be able to finish tuning up (B and e) and then get back on the saddle.

i responded because i could see you didnt know which way to turn your truss rod.

i hope the above explains how you measure then, after measuring, know which way,
and in what increments to turn the rod.

use that information to give the guitar a very slight amount of relief.

after thats finally all done. (dont rush it)

post back and talk to me about the rest of the guitar's setup.

if the bridge is balanced.
why the action (bridge is high)
where the fret buzz is... which strings and which frets.

i know you want to get rolling.
but imo, this shouldnt be rushed, or
you're going to end up at the guitar tech.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Sep 15, 2011,
Just turn it 5 times clockwise, 13 times anticlockwise, then 2 times clockwise. Give the neck a tap, drink a glass of milk, and then play the greatest song of your life.

I've got no idea TBH, but I've experimented on an old acoustic guitar before. Didn't turn out well...
"We weren’t too ambitious when we started out. We just wanted to be the biggest thing that ever walked the planet."
-- Steven Tyler
Okay I got it! I took a break from tuning the last 2 strings cause I am pretty much scared of that here are the results!

Neck: http://oi56.tinypic.com/2ewyulj.jpg
Action: http://oi55.tinypic.com/x4hmc9.jpg (so beautiful)

All it took was 1/2 and a little bit turn counter clockwise.

However I discovered a cut on one of the frets but thats a whole different ball game.

Thank you to all the helped.
ok glad that worked out.

if you want, you can eventually get that
fret dressed.
shouldn't be a problem.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62