So UG, I've been in college for a few weeks now (I go to SUNY Buffalo, for those of you who care), and I'm not really enjoying myself. I know people will say it's all a matter of getting adjusted, but it's not. I've settled in, I've made friends, and I'm getting involved. I'm having fun, but I'm not really happy (if that makes sense).

Not only do I not feel challenged with my school work, but I don't feel like I'm getting anything out of it. I'm starting to think that college just isn't for me. I'm considering transferring out of University after the first year or even the first semester, and going to Westchester Community College back home (just because I feel it's too early to drop out completely.

I know I'm only a freshman, but I figured I'd make the most of my college experience while I think about doing something that will drastically affect a good portion of my life. I think it's best to do what I feel would make me happy. Besides, if I drop out, I can always go back to school sometime down the road (knowing the downsides to that option, of course).

So I ask thee, UG Pit, known for incredibly wisdom, to share your thoughts, opinions, or advice. I've asked others what they thought, I'm just curious what you all have to say.

Thanks
I'm in my 3rd week of college as well, and I'd say that if you don't like college now you're sure as hell not going to like it if you try to come back again when you're older. I'd at least wait a year and see if your opinion changes.
If you're a freshman, you might as well finish out the school year and then make a decision like that.

And anyways, you don't really learn shit (in most cases) in your first year of college. That's just kinda how it is.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Last edited by lushacrous at Sep 15, 2011,
College definately isn't for everyone. A few people going to trade schools and whatnot is better then everyone saturating the market with loads of kinda worthless degrees like Communications or something. Though, I don't really think you can tell if college is for you or not yet. Next semester take a few courses that actually interest you, not just the standard core classes that is usually taken in the first 2 years. Who knows, you might really enjoy a subject.

Stick with it for a little, but in the end you know if college is for you or not. Theres no shame if it isn't.
Thanks a lot for the quick responses. To be honest, those are the answers I expected to get. What are your opinions on transferring to community college after my first semester (it's cheaper and only 20 minutes from home, compared to the 6 hours from Buffalo)?
You can't judge college by your freshman year. Once you get further along, you start taking classes more directed at your major and they get more and more challenging/interesting.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
I think transferring to a community college because you feel unfulfilled and unchallenged at your current school would be pretty dumb and counterproductive.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
I think transferring to a community college because you feel unfulfilled and unchallenged at your current school would be pretty dumb and counterproductive.

sigh, typical views on community college. Are you implying that community college won't challenge you? I've had teachers at community college that have taught at Yale. At least where I am, The courses at CC compared to the state schools have a lot of similarities. Teachers even teach at both types of colleges. It is a great way of saving money and then finishing your degree at a university.
Last edited by High&Mighty at Sep 15, 2011,
Other people in the Pit actually go to UB? Crazy.

As other people have said, try going at least a full semester before doing something drastic. Most freshmen courses are bullshit, so maybe go for two semesters, but sign up for some interesting electives spring semester.
There will probably be a signature here at some point.
Quote by ErikLensherr

True, but the idea is that it's a fraction of the cost.