Page 1 of 2
Y'know songs that make you think or command your attention, dont really know how to explain it tbh

Was just listening to Coheed and Cambria - Welcome Home and, i dunno, just kinda makes me think or concentrate 100% on it.

Fade to Black is another good example for me, the build up of the song into the ending solo is incredible imo, sends shivers down my spine.

So what are your favourite powerful songs? And why?
Down they come
The swarm of locusts
Skies above
Converge to choke us
Feast of souls
Consume the harvest
Young and old
Suffer unto the locust
Juular - The Devin Townsend Project http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8062NiloUU
Why? because DAT RHYTHM

Also...

Agony of the Damned - Toxic Holocaust (dat intro)
Rude Mood - Stevie Ray Vaughn (dat whole damn song)
The Dead Flag Blues - GY!BE (dat slide guitar and monolouge)
Lee Van Cleef - Primus (the chorus)
A Tap Dancer's Dilemma - Diablo Swing Orchestra (everything about it, in every conceivable way)
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Sep 15, 2011,
Black by Pearl Jam is the most powerful song I can think of, both the live and studio versions.
Bands I've seen live:

Def Leppard
Journey
Tool
Testament
Megadeth
Slayer
Mastodon
Deftones
Alice in Chains
Foo Fighters
Rodrigo y Gabriela
Last edited by British Josh at Sep 15, 2011,
Electric Wizard, The build up in Funeraloplis is monstrous.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by British Josh
Black by Pearl Jam is the most powerful song I can think of, both live and studio versions

This.

Also, Pain Of Salvation's song A Trace Of Blood makes my heart kinda jump in the third verse, and their song Undertow, the part where he kinda screams "let me burn it all" has so much emotion in it that I always feel like I'm about to cry.
There are way too many. But a few great ones are "Cortez the Killer" by Neil Young and "The Noose" by A Perfect Circle
For me these songs always get me:
Release - Pearl Jam
Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
Daylight - Aesop Rock
No Children - The Mountain Goats
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Follow me on the tweet machine. I tweet about interesting things like the weather and what I ate for breakfast.
Murder in the City - The Avett Brothers

WyldEdit: Also, The Sprawl 2 (Mountains Beyond Mountains) - Arcade Fire
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
Last edited by wyldething at Sep 15, 2011,
Type O Negative have a lot of songs like this, mostly Love You to Death, September Sun, and others.

She's so pretty in her casts
The prettiest thing I've ever seen
I only get to hold her when she's injured
I only get to kiss her where she's sore
Quote by vayne92
Nothing Else Matters.
I don't needa say why.

This. Another one that is quickly becoming a favorite of mine is Something To Remind You by Staind. It's off of their new album, so if you have it, you probably know what I mean.
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
Quote by Sewn Up
This. Another one that is quickly becoming a favorite of mine is Something To Remind You by Staind. It's off of their new album, so if you have it, you probably know what I mean.

I really enjoy arron lewis' solo sets that he does, I haven't checked out that album yet though.
Quote by High&Mighty
I really enjoy arron lewis' solo sets that he does, I haven't checked out that album yet though.

I would check it out if I were you. I read the review of it here on UG prior to buying it and the reviewer said that this is the album that Staind should've made to follow up Break The Cycle. Not only do I agree with that claim, but I would even venture to say that it's the album they shoul've made IN PLACE of BTC. This is the most powerful that they've been in the better part of the last 10 years.
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
Quote by Sewn Up
I would check it out if I were you. I read the review of it here on UG prior to buying it and the reviewer said that this is the album that Staind should've made to follow up Break The Cycle. Not only do I agree with that claim, but I would even venture to say that it's the album they shoul've made IN PLACE of BTC. This is the most powerful that they've been in the better part of the last 10 years.

Bout to go look up that review now, didn't realize it was reviewed on here.
Fade to Black is one of mine as well.

For some reason (and please dont ask me why 'cause I havn't got a fookin' clue) so does "This is the Life" by Amy Macdonald; just love that song.
Pearl Jam- Yellow Ledbetter
Set Your Goals- Echoes
Alice in Chains- Rooster
Alkaline Trio- Radio
From Autumn to Ashes- The Afterdinner Payback
Thursday- War All the Time
Dillinger Escape Plan- Baby's First Coffin
Crazier than a fish with titties.
Quote by Lord_Hondros
That was a great troll, and it made me laugh. Which then made me cause I was having a good time being scared shitless

Quote by behind_you
Grandfather clocks and jizz.
Quote by robertito696
Electric Wizard, The build up in Funeraloplis is monstrous.

This, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Awaken by Dethklok, and Odyssey by Kyuss are some good ones.
Katatonia- Forsaker is the latest song I've found which does that for me. The vocals just make the song perfect, especially in the chorus. To be honest, it's hard for me to listen to music which doesn't grab my attention in some way.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Scissors by Slipknot
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Fiction -Avenged Sevenfold.

Say what You'd like about them, giving the back story and circumstances of that song, I can't help but get shivers during it.

Turn Soonest to The Sea - Protest The Hero

Dat outro.

You Had Me at Hello - A Day To Remember

'twas the first song I sang to my girlfriend, actually the first song I ever sung for anyone, it brings back very amazing memories.
You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
'I'm so lonesome i could cry', either the Johnny Cash featuring Nick Cave version or the Seasick Steve version, those are the two best ones and it's a very meaningful song to me, i'd play it and occasionally attempt to sing it when i was lonely but trying to look ahead to the better future that i thought i had.
I made a version of it in standard tuning on the guitar and i've always planned on playing it to someone since it was an important song to them for other reasons, although that may never happen now i'm afraid, so i guess the meaning of ithe song applies directly now. :/
search and destroy - iggy
1969 Honey Burst Les Paul
2001 Gibson SG
2009 Martin D-15m
2006 Fender Sonoran

1979 MusicMan HD130 2-12
Framus 2-12 V30's
Blackstar HT5

Blackstar Dist-x
Boss DS-1
Crybaby Wah
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone

View my Pedal Thread
I don't know why, but Welcome to the Family by Avenged Sevenfold sounds really powerful to me.
Quote by Shaharz
This.

Also, Pain Of Salvation's song A Trace Of Blood makes my heart kinda jump in the third verse, and their song Undertow, the part where he kinda screams "let me burn it all" has so much emotion in it that I always feel like I'm about to cry.

PoS is pretty good for that, eh?
"The Flame Beyond the Cold Mountain" by Mono.
Quote by tacaco1000
yes, babies tend to become a blue gooey liquid when kept inside a plastic bottle in the dark for a year.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

Basically Comfortbaly Numb and Fade to Black which have already been said.
Pause it and Turn it Up-Biffy Clyro from around 1:48 until the end of the song ALWAYS sends me into this weird euphoria. Probably from the rhythem of the power chords, drum line and piano, and the graduall build-up of the extra guitar riffs and vocal lines. I don't get why people take drugs when you have stuff like this, gets really really intense around 3:18.
Stairway to Heaven always gives me chills
The main guitar riffs of Orion are also very powerful
Please call me Rainer, was 16 and empty minded when I made my profile.

Sometimes I talk to myself too...but never on the internet.
This is kind of my thing, so I've got a bunch.

I Can See You - Neurosis
Sæglópur - Sigur Rós
Feedbacker - Boris
Flood - Boris
Farewell/Parting - Boris
Grow Till Tall - Jónsi (especially live)
Not For Want of Trying - Maybeshewill
Plains Of The Purple Buffalo, Part 2 - *shels
Butterflies On Luci's Way - *shels
The World is Our _____ - This Will Destroy You
We Flood Empty Lakes - Yndi Halda
Finland - Cult of Luna
Metridium Field - Giant Squid
Carry - ISIS
Au Pays Natal - Rosetta
The Color - We Made God
The Hangman's Daughter - Agents of Oblivion
In Death I'm Only Hiding - Deadboy & the Elephantmen
Beneath The Waves - Ayreon
Unnatural Selection - Ayreon
Sing My Loves - Cave In
One Bedroom Apartment - Clann Zú
Tunnel Of Trees - Deafheaven
Cowardice - Defeater
Like its Your Last - Devil Sold His Soul
Dopesmoker - Sleep
I Am The Bearer, I Stand In Need - Eleventh He Reaches London
Stan - Eminem
Substance - Haste The Day
Nine - La Dispute
Last Blues For Bloody Knuckles - La Dispute
Shall Never Lose Its Power - La Dispute
Collapse The Light Into Earth - Porcupine Tree
My Mind Is A Birdcage - Suis La Lune
Eve - Ufomammut
Cries of the Past- Underoath
Thirtyfour - Cult of Luna
Quote by High&Mighty
Heard this on the radio one day a few months ago, loved it since.

Quote by imcrazy814

I Can See You - Neurosis

Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Quote by imcrazy814
This is kind of my thing, so I've got a bunch.

Carry - ISIS

Dear Mr. Fantasy by traffic always stirrs up some emotions for me too.
Any of those songs that makes you think of a big crowd with all their lighters raised up.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

Page 1 of 2