I've been playing for a couple months and I was wondering about some good double bass practice techniques, stuff that could help me achieve playing Pantera and Lamb of God stuff. Also any tips for a beginning drum fills and such would be appreciated
You shouldn't be playing double bass as a beginner. There's no possible way your single pedal technique is perfect after a couple months of playing. Way too many beginners make the mistake of just jumping right into double bass before they're good at single.

Its still possible to get some serious speed from a single pedal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkpOL7gEuTM
It's definitely important to be good at using single pedal, however if someone wants to learn double bass then who are you tell them otherwise? The vast majority of people that play double bass didn't have perfect single bass when they started playing double bass, either

And really, if someone wants to pursue any aspect of drumming then it's not up to anybody else if they should or should not do so.

Regardless, there's many things I could say in response to TS, however I recommend sitting in a regular chair (like one you sit down in to eat dinner), making sure ALL your weight is on your butt and that you aren't leaning forward or anything, and just playing a very slow roll, heel up. Make sure your foot is flat and all the motion is coming from your hip flexors.
Last edited by Steve08 at Sep 15, 2011,
I'm not saying he can't play double bass. I'm saying that after only a couple months of playing, double bass isn't something he should start. I started on a double bass pretty early, and I realized that I was using it to make up for poor single bass technique. Now I don't even play a double pedal anymore.
While I wouldn't agree to a beginner learning double bass, for obvious reason, I'll support him and give him the best advice I can. I wouldn't personally recommend it, but my question is this: Are you just looking into it or do you *seriously* want to learn it? There's a big difference there because I've seen way too many drummers, around my age, a little older and a little younger, start double bass and it's pretty much all they know and they end up failing to be an effective drummer. That's my main problem with it though. But you're hell bent on doing it then I, and Steve, will give you what we know.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Quote by Donkey_Punch
I'm not saying he can't play double bass. I'm saying that after only a couple months of playing, double bass isn't something he should start. I started on a double bass pretty early, and I realized that I was using it to make up for poor single bass technique. Now I don't even play a double pedal anymore.
That's a fair point, a lot of people do use double bass to make up for a lack of single bass skill, however judicious practicing of the former also lends itself to improvement on the latter. Applications where a good single foot would be useful is much more advanced than being able to play simple double bass rolls, also, to be fair.

And he could also just practice both at the same time. /shrug
Well like I said, I want to do Lamb of God and Pantera stuff, kind of offbeat groove oriented, not just straight double bass through and through. But I also want to reach speeds that single bass isn't capable of. I don't even own a single bass pedal anymore, I sold it for some extra cash
Quote by rattleurhead
I've been playing for a couple months and I was wondering about some good double bass practice techniques, stuff that could help me achieve playing Pantera and Lamb of God stuff. Also any tips for a beginning drum fills and such would be appreciated

Some decent exercises that I've done to better my double bass is take a single bass groove and play it with you dominant foot. Once you are comfortable with that, then try the same groove using your non-dominant foot. I've learned that this helps to gain a bit more control over the "dumb" foot. Some other things to practice are techiques that will give you quick doubles, such as, heel-toe, slide and swivel techniques. You can You Tube these as there are loads of vids on how to do them. Another exercise is basic rudiments. The single stroke roll, for instance, played as 16th notes is a good one. The big mistake that double bass players do is that they want to go too fast too soon and they don't focus on their technique or control. Double bass is the same as sticking. Your strokes should be controlled and even, unless you are accenting notes. Start slow, use a metrome and be patient with it. You will need a lot of practice to get up to Lamb of God. Good luck hope this helps.