I've been playing guitar for about a year, I'm not bad, but my improvisation sucks. When I'm playing along with a band, I usually do ok, but when I'm playing just by myself making it up as I go, It just sucks. Any advice? I know I should learn lots of theory but where do I start?
youve only been playing a year, you cant expect it to come instantly, just learn youre basic scales and it'll come
Quote by darkstar2466
You will get large cacti inserted into your anus for the heinous crime of piracy.

Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
I wanna go down on you Jesus, I wanna feel your salvation all over my face

My signature lacks content.
It is, however, blue.
Remember, you never stop learning on guitar. First, GET LESSONS if you are not already taking lessons. This will definitely make you learn 3x faster than you are right now, and not just with improv. but everything else with guitar. 2nd, Learn your scales and arpeggios and watch videos/read/ learn how to apply them to soloing. Always practice them every day. 3rd PLAY WITH HEART and SOUL IN YOUR MUSIC. What point is music without heart. If your having difficulty putting sounds in your head onto the fretboard, don;t just give up. Take some time to figure it out because this will open you to more ideas and keep you out of the box and will help develop an ear for sounds on the guitar. 4th, learn the notes on the fretboard, names of scales, and everything else music theory-like. If you want to get far on guitar and make it part of your lifestyle or your career one day, you should always do these things. I had the same issues that you are having right now, and I asked my guitar teacher how to get over these problems. About half a year later, I am already 100x better at improvising because i know what I am doing. Sorry if this sounded like a commercial but everything I just said is going to work if you do them right and with a good attitude. Hope this helps. And a good tip would be to start off learning the blues and jazz, and working on up from there because those are pretty much the kings of improvisation. Plus the blues and jazz kicks ass when you know how to play it on the guitar like a pro. It will help get you the ladies and make you sound like a real expert. More tips would be to practice newer stuff on an acoustic because they make your fingers stronger and will make you hear your mistakes a lot easier because it wont be blocked out by distortion. This especially works good for metal and fast tempo songs because you will hear exactly what your doing and you wont sound like a crazy kid that cant tune his guitar and only cares about the heaviest sounds and too much distortion. And yet another good way to learn how to improv. with awesomeness is to learn every single kind of genre of rock there is. This will make your ear for things really good and will make you sound like you know everything there is about guitar. i dont care if you only listen to thrash metal of country, learn it all and keep playing it because if you want to improvise like people like Jerry Garcia or Buckethead or anybody, you need to do these things. again i am really sorry if this sounds like a commercial or somethin but i really want everyone that reads this to get far in their guitar career. your welcome.
Colorado Avalanche
Last edited by MtnMusicMan7 at Sep 15, 2011,
it might help, in learning to improvise, to think of a melody, possibly sing it, then try to play it. That will help you to not just play random notes, but to have a melody in your head first.... have you tried that?
---
Quote by MtnMusicMan7
Remember, you never stop learning on guitar. First, GET LESSONS if you are not already taking lessons. This will definitely make you learn 3x faster than you are right now, and not just with improv. but everything else with guitar. 2nd, Learn your scales and arpeggios and watch videos/read/ learn how to apply them to soloing. Always practice them every day. 3rd PLAY WITH HEART and SOUL IN YOUR MUSIC. What point is music without heart. If your having difficulty putting sounds in your head onto the fretboard, don;t just give up. Take some time to figure it out because this will open you to more ideas and keep you out of the box and will help develop an ear for sounds on the guitar. 4th, learn the notes on the fretboard, names of scales, and everything else music theory-like. If you want to get far on guitar and make it part of your lifestyle or your career one day, you should always do these things. I had the same issues that you are having right now, and I asked my guitar teacher how to get over these problems. About half a year later, I am already 100x better at improvising because i know what I am doing. Sorry if this sounded like a commercial but everything I just said is going to work if you do them right and with a good attitude. Hope this helps. And a good tip would be to start off learning the blues and jazz, and working on up from there because those are pretty much the kings of improvisation. Plus the blues and jazz kicks ass when you know how to play it on the guitar like a pro. It will help get you the ladies and make you sound like a real expert. More tips would be to practice newer stuff on an acoustic because they make your fingers stronger and will make you hear your mistakes a lot easier because it wont be blocked out by distortion. This especially works good for metal and fast tempo songs because you will hear exactly what your doing and you wont sound like a crazy kid that cant tune his guitar and only cares about the heaviest sounds and too much distortion. And yet another good way to learn how to improv. with awesomeness is to learn every single kind of genre of rock there is. This will make your ear for things really good and will make you sound like you know everything there is about guitar. i dont care if you only listen to thrash metal of country, learn it all and keep playing it because if you want to improvise like people like Jerry Garcia or Buckethead or anybody, you need to do these things. again i am really sorry if this sounds like a commercial or somethin but i really want everyone that reads this to get far in their guitar career. your welcome.

Grammar, Learn it.
Quote by thrashdeth
I've been playing guitar for about a year, I'm not bad, but my improvisation sucks. When I'm playing along with a band, I usually do ok, but when I'm playing just by myself making it up as I go, It just sucks. Any advice? I know I should learn lots of theory but where do I start?

Don't worry about theory so much right now, what you need to do is stop playing and start listening and thinking about what you're doing. You need to think of the solo you want to play as you're playing it. It's very hard and at first you're probably going to want to be more thinking ahead of time but the key is getting the thought process in it rather than just learning scales and running up and down the shapes as a lot of people end up doing (I'm guilty of it a lot myself, it's hard to really think rather than just play).
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
They don't know what there talking about! Let's put it this way right you suck so your improv will to.... That's what your brain is probably saying. I found that all I had to do was get some blues backing tracks in A and jam and I leered the aeolian scale and the major scale and of course the pentatonic and I just jammed. One big key is to not just play random notes of the scale create licks from the scale positions or copy licks and play them all in random order and keep making up licks. Alot of people when starting improv think it's all just random shredding on a random scale and that it's all just completely random but it not improv is something that you practise and put in your back pocket and when you néed it you pull it out use it add to it and as you go you get better but the main thing is to "PRACTICE!" your improv and create a set of licks that you like so for instance take 2-3 licks on say the pentatonic (that's easy stuff to look up online) play them in succession till it sound good and then add a note or two in between the licks as you move to the next one. Download lots of jam tracks and plus there all over YouTube so theres no excuse to not get your daily jam on!! :headband:
Quote by goldleadr
They don't know what there talking about! Let's put it this way right you suck

Yes I just quoted myself...
Maybe if you can get enough people I'll put a video up on YouTube on what I just talked about.
Quote by goldleadr
They don't know what there talking about! Let's put it this way right you suck

Yes I just quoted myself...
Try limiting yourself to only a few notes or a small box shape instead of using everysingle note in a scale. This will help you to come up with more creative ideas instead of running up and down scales or using the same ideas over and over.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
Music Theory is important, ear training is important and guitar technique is important

You have to know how to blend all those 3 together if you want to get really good.

Take a theory concept, apply it to guitar and try to understand it. Try to sing with your voice what you play on your guitar. That was the best advice that i had in my life
The most important aspect of improvising is not playing. It's listening. Listen to the chords or notes that you're playing over. Figure out what you want to play before you play it. Don't just play mechanically. Play something musical and relevant to whatever you're improvising over. Don't worry about theory just yet. It won't do you a lick of good unless you know how to listen to a piece of music and play something musical as opposed to something mechanical.
learn scales, and how to run up and down it easily. then learn note positions. then watch/get ideas from Marty Friedmans 99 secret lead guitar phrases. Fret Daddy stickers are a god send for learning improvisation in the key of C. Also get a looper or a backing track and arpegiate over the chords in different positions. I think Im talking jibberish
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1