if you know, say, reading a 15 page article about a serial killer story will upset you, would you still read it anyway because your interest before reading it trumps your inevitable feeling upset after reading it?

or just in general, if something may upset you, like meeting/speaking to a certain person, and you're in a good mood, would you avoid that situation? or are you the kind of person that doesn't like to be ignorant to anything and would rather be direct with your emotions?
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
I used to watch Glenn Beck's show anytime I wanted to get pissed off. Those times are the only times I watch Fox News. Even in the Pit if there's a thread that I know will cause me to get into a debate i'll stray from it unless i'm in the mood to get pissed off and stuff.

So yes, ignorance is bliss so it's all good.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Well i did finish Catcher in the Rye so.... i guess i would actually read it if i had a reason to. If it were for my own personal enjoyment probably not.
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
I prefer to be direct. Regarding the 15 page article example, I'd read something if it made me feel upset. Sometimes it's best; I think many people stay ignorant because they aren't willing to learn anything new out of fear they will be offended.
Quote by laid-to-waste
if you know, say, reading a 15 page article about a serial killer story will upset you, would you still read it anyway because your interest before reading it trumps your inevitable feeling upset after reading it?

or just in general, if something may upset you, like meeting/speaking to a certain person, and you're in a good mood, would you avoid that situation? or are you the kind of person that doesn't like to be ignorant to anything and would rather be direct with your emotions?

I would read it. You can't let emotion stop you from learning important things.

I remember my fury on 9/11 when my mum came home from work and turned the tv off, saying it was too upsetting for her kids to see. What is the good in that? You can't just stick your head in the sand and hide from life...
I think it depends on the situation. If you are pissed at a friend you might ignore them. Thats different then reading a serial killer story and crying cause your best friends dog died by a serial killer.
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
Quote by slipknot5678
I prefer to be direct. Regarding the 15 page article example, I'd read something if it made me feel upset. Sometimes it's best; I think many people stay ignorant because they aren't willing to learn anything new out of fear they will be offended.

what if it's just fiction? watching a horror film you know will make you scared?
Quote by laid-to-waste
what if it's just fiction? watching a horror film you know will make you scared?

It's possible that you might start to appreciate the genre after watching a certain film. I sometimes want to do things I don't like.
i'm not going to come up with an answer, because doing so will cause me to think long and hard and might discover that i actually do this or something and that would make me feel bad. so i'm just gonna ignore it.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
it's like me with history, nazi/soviet history's horrible, but you have to know, 'those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it'

it's like that thing were people slow down to look at a car crash, or why people watch saw movies (i hate it when they say they care about the plot...)
Quote by ErikLensherr
It's threads like this that separate grammar Nazis from only mildly anti-Semitic grammar conservatives.
Quote by slipknot5678
It's possible that you might start to appreciate the genre after watching a certain film. I sometimes want to do things I don't like.

what if it's just based on operant conditioning? after you see one horror film/read one serial killer case and you know you feel upset from it, is it ignorant to stay away from the next or just rational?
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I would read it. You can't let emotion stop you from learning important things.

I agree. Willful ignorance is what I despise more than anything in the world.
Check out my band Disturbed
To an extent. I could go and read some horrible stories right now about animal mutilation or concentration camp crimes or something and at the end of it i'd end up angry / upset, i don't particularly want to read any of that stuff right now, i know it goes on and i've read about similar things before but there's no point trying to carry the weight of the world.

There are enough nasty stories for us all to spend a lifetime researching and being disgusted about the things that have gone on in the world, it's pointless to just upset yourself over it, just realise it happens and that it's bad but that's about it, i'm not gonna spend all my time depressing myself about it.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Sep 15, 2011,
Quote by laid-to-waste
what if it's just based on operant conditioning? after you see one horror film/read one serial killer case and you know you feel upset from it, is it ignorant to stay away from the next or just rational?

Probably just rational, unless you continue to do it and become an overall extremely stubborn person. It's not ignorant to not want to read something unless you have a "I'm not reading that no matter what cause it's all bad!" attitude.
Quote by slipknot5678
Probably just rational, unless you continue to do it and become an overall extremely stubborn person. It's not ignorant to not want to read something unless you have a "I'm not reading that no matter what cause it's all bad!" attitude.

well yeah, i'm not talking about the kind of operant conditioning that just makes you stubborn to things without realizing why and end up developing phobias, i'm talking about having one bad experience, and consciously (and rationally) thinking you don't want that experience again, so the better thing to do is to just avoid it unless it's promising to not get the same results.

i kinda agree with what zoot said. no point putting the weight of the world on your shoulders, but you have to be honest about why and make adjustments depending on just how important it is. that's just my opinion though, i really don't see the need in spooking yourself just to seem non-ignorant. then again, i wouldn't turn off the television when the 9/11 attack was being broadcasted either, because that's just disrespectful, no matter how 'putting the world's weight on your shoulders' it may seem.
Ignorance can be blissful, but it is most certainly not bliss in itself.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I would avoid talking to someone I didn't like. In that aspect, ignorance is bliss.

In terms of horrible things in the world and such... I want to know the truth, so I am willing to subject myself to things which most seem to shy away from (such as an interest in war photographers, for example) because they say it is wrong/too much for them. I see it as looking at how the world really works I hate the idea of being ignorant to something horrible simply because it may upset me. In relation to the serial killer thing, it isn't so much interest that trumps it upsetting me (although things like that don't really upset me; I don't really feel anything when I read that stuff) but jsut knowing about it does. Being able to see through the pretty side of life if you will.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Last edited by Banjocal at Sep 15, 2011,
@laid to waste: I pretty much agree. I didn't mean it's offensive to not go out of your way to read something you don't like.
it's interesting you mention operant condtioning cos i've always wondered how much of an inluence media is on people. I don't really thionk horror movies have that much operant conditioning thou, for one people are fairly resistant to it and for another it dosen't always extrapolate to other situations, how many do you know who've developed a fear cos of a movie?

People are only really upset by things that happen close to home (culturally/racially) hence why 9/11 is a yearly ceremoney and the date of the iraq invasion(a far worse war crime ultimatly) is not

On a personal level, i stopped reading bbc news cos of how depressing it was, my heart sinks everytime i see the front page
Quote by ErikLensherr
It's threads like this that separate grammar Nazis from only mildly anti-Semitic grammar conservatives.
Last edited by teh_goon at Sep 15, 2011,
Quote by teh_goon
it's interesting you mention operant condtioning cos i've always wondered how much of an inluence media is on people. I don't really thionk horror movies have that much operant conditioning thou, for one people are fairly resistant to it and for another it dosen't always extrapolate to other situations, how many do you know who've developed a fear cos of a movie?

it does make you develop a fear of watching another horror movie again though, like me. i'm pretty sure the last horror movie i watched was the texas chainsaw massacre in 2002.

Quote by teh_goon
People are only really upset by things that happen close to home (culturally/racially) hence why 9/11 is a yearly ceremoney and the date of the iraq invasion(a far worse war crime ultimatly) is not

i live in the uk

Quote by teh_goon
On a personal level, i stopped reading bbc news cos of how depressing it was, my heart sinks everytime i see the front page

i know what you mean. it sorta varies. my dad just came back from syria yesterday, he's not even remotely shaken by it even though he worked in A&E for 3 days and saw people die in his hands, tanks fire and had to hide behind a car for 3 hours while he got shot at. meanwhile, there's people like you and me that get shaken by things we read on paper that are geographically insignificant.
news such as spider infestations in my part of the woods or new types of spiders or something little like that, then yes i want nothing to do with it. Damn buggers all up in my room and shiz

Thats basically it that i can think of right now though.
Last edited by High&Mighty at Sep 15, 2011,