Page 1 of 3
So today I went to guitar center planning on getting the peavey vypyr tube 60 and the sanpera II foot controller, but they didnt have any of the tube versions in stock so a guy who worked there insisted I check out the 6505+ combo instead. I tried it out, thought it sounded decent but I didn't really have time to tweak it or anything and I figured once I did I'd find an amazing sound. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, it just seems like none of the knobs are really changing the sound that much.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Jeff Loomis 7 string
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Yamaha YDP161 Arius Digital Piano
I didn't really care for any of the 6505 combos. Especially the lower watt 1x12 one. I'm not sure what speakers are in the cab, but peavey isn't exactly known for splurging in their combo speakers. Take the valveking for example, sounds kinda crappy until you do a speaker swap. What's your budget so we can recommend some other amps for you to check out and what type of music do you play?
If you're into heavier music, check out my band in progress Acid Bomb
I play almost anything but mostly metal/hard rock stuff. I'm thinking maybe I just need to get one of those tube screamer stomp boxes because my main issue with this amp is I'm just not getting the sustain I want for lead stuff and the distortion just doesnt sound as full as I think it should but maybe its because I haven't cranked it yet either.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Quote by jetwash69
They should take it back, right?

maybe, but the closest guitar center from where I live is hours away and i don't get to go there too often.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Most metal oriented tube amps would benefit from having a 'Screamer up front, to some extent. It helps dump some of the lower frequencies so your overall tone sounds tighter.

Also a 6505 does sound somewhat better at higher volumes, but it sounds like you don't like the base tone to begin with, so either of these suggestions aren't gonna go a long way to improving your tone.

I've never really liked a 6505, but what EXACTLY do you not like about the 6505? Personally if you don't like it that much, I would bring it back. If you don't like the base tone, no amount of tweaking or pedals will change the tone so significantly that you'll suddenly like it.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
i got a green rhino for mine, it sounds soooo much better now. also this amp definitely sounds best at higher volumes so if you got just for bedroom use its probably not going to pan out well for you
what eq settings do you have for now?
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Quote by Stringz of Fury
I play almost anything but mostly metal/hard rock stuff. I'm thinking maybe I just need to get one of those tube screamer stomp boxes because my main issue with this amp is I'm just not getting the sustain I want for lead stuff and the distortion just doesnt sound as full as I think it should but maybe its because I haven't cranked it yet either.

if you can't get the sustain out of that amp then something is wrong. distortion is one thing that amp isn't lacking in so perhaps your settings need some work. what kind of guitar are you using?. i'd also suggest turning the gain down. i knmow this seems odd but often to much results in mush with little to no dynamics. what kind of tones are you trying to get?
I mean, it sounded good in a lot of videos I've watched. It sounds decent when I play through it, but it honestly doesn't sound much better if any better at all than my best metal tones on my line 6 spider III 75 watt. It's hard to describe what I don't like about it. It just seems like 90% of the possible tones on this thing are either fizzy or make it sound like there is a blanket over the amp. I tried using other peoples settings and stuff but it's just not working that well. I really think I do need a boost pedal though because I'm definitely not getting enough sustain.

I really wish I'd just asked them to order me a vypyr tube 60 because its exactly what I need. God this sucks. All of this searching for amazing tone makes me just want to quit electric guitar and switch to keyboard/piano.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
You're using it wrong. First off, if you're on the Lead channel, turn the gain down, and I mean WAY down. Around 4 should do the trick. Too much gain on a 6505 just sounds muddy, muffled, and is a complete mess. Also, balance out the EQ. The 6505's mid's aren't the type that can be scooped. Make sure you also keep the presence knob up decently.

You should be able to get a usable sound even at a low volume if you follow this post. If not, you either have a defective unit or are defective yourself.
Quote by monwobobbo
if you can't get the sustain out of that amp then something is wrong. distortion is one thing that amp isn't lacking in so perhaps your settings need some work. what kind of guitar are you using?. i'd also suggest turning the gain down. i knmow this seems odd but often to much results in mush with little to no dynamics. what kind of tones are you trying to get?

I'm using a Schecter Jeff Loomis signature. I've been using the pre gain at around 5. I wan't to get metallica master of puppets or and justice for all tones as well as modern metal tones like parkway drive.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're using it wrong. First off, if you're on the Lead channel, turn the gain down, and I mean WAY down. Around 4 should do the trick. Too much gain on a 6505 just sounds muddy, muffled, and is a complete mess. Also, balance out the EQ. The 6505's mid's aren't the type that can be scooped. Make sure you also keep the presence knob up decently.

You should be able to get a usable sound even at a low volume if you follow this post. If not, you either have a defective unit or are defective yourself.

Basically this, if you can't get a usable tone from a 6505, then you shouldn't even attempt to play metal anymore, the 6505 is the basic amp for any metal genera. I can get more than usable tones from the Nick Crow 8505 VST with ease...You must have defective ears or something.
Even if you can't EQ an amp it shouldn't be doing those things you suggested. Bad tubes perhaps?
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Possibly bad tubes in the amp.

But, really, the 6505+ 112 just isn't that great sounding of an amp. You shouldn't have been expecting too much - it's not the same as any of it's bigger brothers.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Stringz of Fury
I'm using a Schecter Jeff Loomis signature. I've been using the pre gain at around 5. I wan't to get metallica master of puppets or and justice for all tones as well as modern metal tones like parkway drive.

as mentioned turn the gain down. fizz means to much gain. it ain't a Mesa so don't expect to nail Mesa tones with it. as also mentioned keep in mind that it is a lower end amp so it won't sound exactly like the high end stuff the pros use.

now don't take this wrong but i get the feeling that you haven't been playing all that long and may be a little lacking in proper lead playing techniques. if you "need" tons of sustain that says to me that your picking isn't up to snuff and you want something (ie sustain) to smooth it over. this is you not the amp. if you can't play the notes cleanly with no distortion then you need work.

it takes time and effort to get the most out of any new piece of equipment you can't just expect to plug in and automatically get the tone of the gods. also keep in mind that the tones you hear on records is processed and often was played with much better equipment to begin with. the 6505+ has way more gain than Metallica used on MOP so getting cloe to that shouldn't be a problem. take some time work with the amp.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Basically this, if you can't get a usable tone from a 6505, then you shouldn't even attempt to play metal anymore, the 6505 is the basic amp for any metal genera. I can get more than usable tones from the Nick Crow 8505 VST with ease...You must have defective ears or something.

Is it really necessary to insult OP if he isn't a big fan of the amp? I swear, you'd think this amp was made of gold and sounds better than God based on this forum.

It probably would benefit from a tube swap, but the tubes should be fine stock. A re-tube won't make that much of a difference unless one is blown. I do think it's a bit odd that it won't give the sustain you're looking for. It should be able to do that.

That being said, it's not the greatest amp of all time like many on here feel. Solid amp, for sure.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Last edited by 3074326 at Sep 15, 2011,
Quote by monwobobbo
as mentioned turn the gain down. fizz means to much gain. it ain't a Mesa so don't expect to nail Mesa tones with it. as also mentioned keep in mind that it is a lower end amp so it won't sound exactly like the high end stuff the pros use.

now don't take this wrong but i get the feeling that you haven't been playing all that long and may be a little lacking in proper lead playing techniques. if you "need" tons of sustain that says to me that your picking isn't up to snuff and you want something (ie sustain) to smooth it over. this is you not the amp. if you can't play the notes cleanly with no distortion then you need work.

it takes time and effort to get the most out of any new piece of equipment you can't just expect to plug in and automatically get the tone of the gods. also keep in mind that the tones you hear on records is processed and often was played with much better equipment to begin with. the 6505+ has way more gain than Metallica used on MOP so getting cloe to that shouldn't be a problem. take some time work with the amp.

I have been playing 5 years and can play tons of paul gilbert and malmsteen stuff and pretty much any solo/lead stuff I want to learn. I love how everyone thinks I'm an amateur just because I don't like the sound of an amp. Yes I want sustain to smooth it over because it sounds better regardless of how well you play it. If I try to do the sweep tapping section in "Sea of Lies" by Symphony X it almost sounds like I'm playing unplugged unless I slam on the strings which makes for terrible legato. You can go ahead and say "well you just have bad technique" or whatever but I'm able to sound amazing on a "crappy" line 6 spider III so shouldn't I sound even better on a "better" amp?
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Quote by Stringz of Fury
I have been playing 5 years and can play tons of paul gilbert and malmsteen stuff and pretty much any solo/lead stuff I want to learn. I love how everyone thinks I'm an amateur just because I don't like the sound of an amp. Yes I want sustain to smooth it over because it sounds better regardless of how well you play it. If I try to do the sweep tapping section in "Sea of Lies" by Symphony X it almost sounds like I'm playing unplugged unless I slam on the strings which makes for terrible legato. You can go ahead and say "well you just have bad technique" or whatever but I'm able to sound amazing on a "crappy" line 6 spider III so shouldn't I sound even better on a "better" amp?

i said no offense for a reason. you have nothing posted playing wise so your age is all i have to go by. if you can indeed play all that stuff then i would think you'd know how to dial in an amp but it doesn't SEEM like you do. malmsteen has almost no sustain between notes and for that matter neither does gilbert so how does that make it sound better? not trying to be a dick i'm just trying to get a better handle on your complaint so that better advice can be given. were you using other fx on the line 6? now personally i'm not a huge fan of the 6505+ mainly because the clean channel is less than good and it has to much gain. of course i don't play the new metal stuff so i have no need for that kind of gain.
there are a couple possibilities:

1) you've set-up the tone wrong. to get the sort of sound you want (conveniently, I own the amp and a guitar loaded with EMG's), go to the lead channel and dial the pre-gain up to the 5-7 range (around noon). then, set your post-gain to whatever you like. now, do the eq (don't do it before, the amp sounds very different quiet vs. loud!). cut the bass back to 4-5, mids around noon and treble up around 6-7. then go play with the resonance and presence controls. resonance controls bottom end response, treble is top end response.

2) the stock speaker is awful. I have since put a celestion in to mine and the amp is almost inconceivably improved. however, the stock speaker isn't bad enough to make the amp sound awful and it definitely doesn't kill the sustain.

3) bad tubes. mine arrived with a dead tube in it (it was visibly not working!!!). just take a peek and make sure they're all glowing the right amount.

I suggest you play around with the amp a little bit. if you can't solve the problem, go and play another one at a shop. this will let you know if its your amp, or a broader issue. if its your amp, take it back. otherwise, try an exchange
So you're using a Schecter Jeff Loomis... This one?:

With EMG's?

That could be your problem. Try swapping out the batteries in your guitar to see if it helps any. You shouldn't be having the problems that you are mentioning with a 6505.
Quote by monwobobbo
i said no offense for a reason. you have nothing posted playing wise so your age is all i have to go by. if you can indeed play all that stuff then i would think you'd know how to dial in an amp but it doesn't SEEM like you do. malmsteen has almost no sustain between notes and for that matter neither does gilbert so how does that make it sound better? not trying to be a dick i'm just trying to get a better handle on your complaint so that better advice can be given. were you using other fx on the line 6? now personally i'm not a huge fan of the 6505+ mainly because the clean channel is less than good and it has to much gain. of course i don't play the new metal stuff so i have no need for that kind of gain.

The spider III is the only amp I've had and the only amp I know how to dial a tone in. I literally just got the 6505+ today and you cant expect me to know good settings for it already considering it is completely different from a spider.

It doesn't matter if there is very little sustained notes its the smoothness I want for fast legato passages. For my main tone on the Line 6 i used no effects just distortion and that gave me more than enough creamy smoothness for lead stuff. The 6505 is just a little short of the smoothness I want. On top of that it doesn't even sound as bad ass for rhythm as I had hoped. And the cleans suck. There's a significant chance I'll be returning this as I don't want to invest in a boost pedal to find out i still dont like the sound.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Quote by Ian_the_fox
So you're using a Schecter Jeff Loomis... This one?:

With EMG's?

That could be your problem. Try swapping out the batteries in your guitar to see if it helps any. You shouldn't be having the problems that you are mentioning with a 6505.

I changed it before I even plugged into the amp. The strings too.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Quote by Stringz of Fury
The spider III is the only amp I've had and the only amp I know how to dial a tone in. I literally just got the 6505+ today and you cant expect me to know good settings for it already considering it is completely different from a spider.

It doesn't matter if there is very little sustained notes its the smoothness I want for fast legato passages. For my main tone on the Line 6 i used no effects just distortion and that gave me more than enough creamy smoothness for lead stuff. The 6505 is just a little short of the smoothness I want. On top of that it doesn't even sound as bad ass for rhythm as I had hoped. And the cleans suck. There's a significant chance I'll be returning this as I don't want to invest in a boost pedal to find out i still dont like the sound.

ok let me get this straight you got the amp today and have already given up on getting a good sound. if i can't expect you to dial in a good sound then do you expect you to be able to do it? let me guess you used the "insane" distortion on the line 6 and now that you have a real amp it doesn't sound like that. my point is you can't have it both ways. it appears you just expected to plug in and instantly get great tone. doesn't work that way. once again no offense but you just don't have the experience. best way to get it is to put some time in. your amp may not be perfect but that's the way it goes when you're on a budget. i have a ValveKing it's not the greatest but was the best i could afford (actually i could have spent more but i knew that with a little work the VK would be right for me). with some time and effort it's turned out to be a lot better than many here suggest. put some time in and realize that you won't nail every tone you want. also a consideration the 6505+ will have better resale value down the road.
Quote by Stringz of Fury

were you spoilt as a child?

"it doesnt work and i hate it and i want a new one now "

jk!! It took me weeks to settle my sound in mine. Even now, i still tweak it a bit here and there.

And i have had it for 6 years!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by ibanez_guru
ARE YOU TONE ******ED??????

Thats not a dig either, its a serious question!!!!!!!!!

Quote by gregs1020
well i did sit 5th row for the who in '82.

ears are still ringing a bit.
Quote by Stringz of Fury

first off that is just stupid not to invest the $40-$100 in an OD pedal that you will use for years and will completely change your tone, and will most likely used with other amps. you would be investing in 10% of the amps value, i see that as minimal cost.

i would bet 3/4 people using a 6505 use a boost.

so you wont invest $40 on a digitech bad monkey, or $60 on a tube screamer or some type, or a green rhino (little bit over 100 $though).

/rant

take you time with dialing the amp in. start with everything turned to 50% and move the knobs one at a time and see what they do, at minimum, maximum, but generally would keep the knobs between 25% and 75%. just keep tweaking with it. you will probably want your mids a little higher than 50%, bass i would keep a little bit below 50%, treble not much of a movement, and the rest to taste.

also people wiht 6505's (at least the bands around here) that play use way too much gain. you really never wound need gain past 5%
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Buying a boost doesn't make you like an amp if you already don't. I have a 5150, and just because I use an OD808 doesn't mean I don't like it unboosted.

Never played one of the combos but everyone says it's not really the same amp as the head version, and that the stock speaker isn't that good. If you don't like it, you don't like it. Sucks that you aren't very close to GC but sometimes it happens. I bought a Krank once and thought I loved it after playing for awhile but once I got home I didn't.
Quote by ChrisBW
Buying a boost doesn't make you like an amp if you already don't. I have a 5150, and just because I use an OD808 doesn't mean I don't like it unboosted.

Never played one of the combos but everyone says it's not really the same amp as the head version, and that the stock speaker isn't that good. If you don't like it, you don't like it. Sucks that you aren't very close to GC but sometimes it happens. I bought a Krank once and thought I loved it after playing for awhile but once I got home I didn't.

but i bet you can say that you prefer a boost for at least a decent amount of playing.

even if you don't i bet 75% of people playing a 6505 use boosts. it really changes an amp. out of all the amps i have owned my Splawns are the only amp that really dont need anything out in front, a few mesas are like this too, even some of the recs.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Depends what the side of the bed I woke up on that day and the moon phase.

Sometimes I like it on, but other times I switch it off and am fine with it. Point is I already like the amp. A boost is in the same league as pick ups and equalizers as far as tone shaping goes I think. Start with a good amp you like, then move on to the smaller details.
i wana see this guy dial in a dual recto.....

but srsly, give it a week or 2 man. the amps that are hard to dial in usually hold their own and when ur talking about the 6505 your talking about one of the greats in metal tone. if ur running the combo version some of that fizzyness can be coming from the crap speaker they throw in there but regardless u SHOULD be able to dial in something good. i didnt like it the first tiem i tried it either but damnit i sat in the GC for 2 hours dialing amazing tone then left.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
with the 6505 it has a certain character no matter how you set it. if you set up all the knobs somewhere between 4-6 and you just absolutely don't like it, then it is not the amp for you. no amount of tweaking will make it sound like a different amp. it is VERY straightforward. You're going to have to make the trip back up to your guitar center. I say bring the amp in and tell them youll possibly be returning it for something else. Then play a bunch of the amps they have. Spend some time with them. if there is another 6505, try it as well to make sure the one you bought wasnt messed up or something.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by EspTro
i wana see this guy dial in a dual recto.....

but srsly, give it a week or 2 man. the amps that are hard to dial in usually hold their own and when ur talking about the 6505 your talking about one of the greats in metal tone. if ur running the combo version some of that fizzyness can be coming from the crap speaker they throw in there but regardless u SHOULD be able to dial in something good. i didnt like it the first tiem i tried it either but damnit i sat in the GC for 2 hours dialing amazing tone then left.

THIS!

I've had my Single Recto for 3 months and I still can't dial it in!
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778
I would love to see this guy play a Carvin V3 lol. I would say no offense but it would still be taken offensively. Some amps like a few Mesas and the Carvin V3 take some tweaking to really get how to eq it. My V3 took me a week to move from "I kinda like it " to "I love this amp" because it is hard to eq. The 6505 should be more straight forward but if you already think "I hate this amp" then you have the wrong mindset. How long do you have to return it? I would wait until that time is almost over to make any decision because your view may change.

Also like some other people said on here most people use a boost on almost every amp they play so it would be a good investment anyway even if you don't like the Peavey so buy one anyway if you can afford it.

One last point, the combo is different from the head. Alot of the people, including pros, run different cabs with different speakers so that can influence the character of the amp to some extent so keep that in mind. It won't make a diffenence though if you absolutely don't like that amp but can improve certain things of the amp to fine tune it. It may not be the amp for you but one day is no where near enough time to decide that.

Edit: sorry for my rambling but Im really drunk and wanted to help TS so if I repeated stuff then my bad
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Last edited by bluestratplayer at Sep 16, 2011,
Who with a valve amp doesn't have a boost of some sort?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I think you just may not like the sound of that particular amp. Because personally, I LOVE the sound of mine. (I'm not saying it's the last amp I'll ever buy, but I could see myself purchasing the full head and cab in the future.)

Also, the head is not as different as some people make it out to be. It is a little different, but the 112 has the same character and a surprising amount of 'oomph.' I've said this before and I'll say it again, you can't really compare a 112 to a head+412 cab. Even if the power and circutry are IDENTICAL the one with the cab is of course going to sound thicker, more powerful, and meaner.

I tried a fair number of amps before purchasing mine (Including a Mesa MarkV, Dual Rec, an Orange, and several Blackstars) and the 6505+ just had that sound I was looking for, more than any of the others.

I'd spend a little time dialing it in before you give up on it, because you CAN get some different tones out of it. I get endless sustain on mine, I don't know what your problem is there.

Also, you need to turn it up a bit to get into the goods. Mine starts to really shine with the volume at 2.5 - which is already well beyond 'bedroom' levels.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Master set at 1 on the lead channel is beyond bedroom levels!

To the OP, if you have 30 day returns, I'd fool around with it for a week or two and see what you can dial in.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
i thought the 6505 combo sounded very lackluster, i recommend you look at blackstar amps
what's the difference between a drug dealer and a prostitute?

a drug dealer can't wash his crack and sell it again
I've been using Carvin X100-b's for about 15 years. I'm still constantly tweaking here and there. Now that you've upgraded from a beginners amp you'll find you're never really satisfied with the sound.
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
Page 1 of 3