Hi all
So, for a number of reasons, I might have to downsize my amp. I currently have a Bugera 120 watt 212 combo and have been looking at the Ibanez TSA15 mini stack. I play mostly blues/rock stuff like Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan (thats where the tubescreamer amp idea comes in) but also occaisonally play some heavier, Metallica/Megadeth stuff as well. Basically I would like to know if this amp would suit my needs. Also, if there are any other amps that are similar to the TSA, feel free to reccommend! (MUST have an FX Loop and preferably be a tube amp)
Thanks in advance!
It won't do Metallica, maybe if you chucked an overdrive or distortion on top, but even then it's not perfectly voiced for it.

Look into the Vox Night Train, Orange Dark Terror. With a decent boost they can really nail metal tones.

Willing to go used?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Those TS amps sound like shit. I was really excited about them when they came out, until I played one... And I have read other people feel the same way.

Cant you just run the Bugera quieter? If not, look at a Blackstar HT-5. I think those things sound great for a bedroom level amp, they take pedals well, and are very versatile. I feel like a HT-5 with a reverb pedal (in the effects loop) and a TS9 in front would hit on what you want. It should be able to get a general Metallica tone out of the box, maybe would want a distortion for a tighter sound, or just use a Tube Screamer like Kirk does.
Quote by Wylde_Life
Those TS amps sound like shit. I was really excited about them when they came out, until I played one... And I have read other people feel the same way.

Really? I downsized from a Hiwatt and Marshall stack setup to a TSA15H and I think it sounds superb. That said, I'm not running the stock setup. I did find the chinese tubes to sound like ass, although I literally only used them once to check the amp worked, then threw in RCA NOS tubes. I also cannot comment on the stock speaker, as I run mine through a Ted Weber Lite Dope 12".
Maybe this is why you did not like the sound of the amp when you tried it, but I personally think it sounds excellent, and that's coming from a far higher priced setup. They just need a little work to get the best from them. I run my TSA live with a stereo pair of heavily modified Fender Champion 600's (running vintage jensen speakers, NOS RCA tubes and circuit mods) and together they sound wonderful.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Shouldnt your Bugera do Metallica fine? IIRC the 333/6260/6262 are 120W, and all are very good for metal.

Yeah my Bugera nails the heavy tones, the problem is that the bedroom I'm gonna be moving in to is right next to my 4 and 5 year old brother and sisters room! 120 watts isn't exactly friendly for my situation
^Volume knob? The 6262 uses preamp gain rather than poweramp so it should be playable at say 0.5 on the volume knob?
That said and done, try looking for
a) Vypyr Tube 60
b) Krank Rev Jr (20W one)
c) Single Rec 50W

Another thing you can do, you can ge an Engle E530 preamp.
Also, Laney LC15 with a boost?
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Sep 17, 2011,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
^Volume knob? The 6262 uses preamp gain rather than poweramp so it should be playable at say 0.5 on the volume knob?
That said and done, try looking for
a) Vypyr Tube 60
b) Krank Rev Jr (20W one)
c) Single Rec 50W

Another thing you can do, you can ge an Engle E530 preamp.
Also, Laney LC15 with a boost?

I have the Laney LC15R and it does nice metal tone with a boost, it sounds good, but it will sound better if you change the speaker (and tubes and transformer eventually). Another good thing to know that I learned here is that you can mod this amp, the possibilities are endless actually, mine is gonna be moded to a JCM800. Give this little amp a try, it has a lot of potential, I do love mine (is perfect for my blues/rock compositions).
^Yeah its got a shite speaker, but its not to expensive so it shouldnt be hard to change a speaker. Its a nice little amp overall. Loud too, for a 15 watter.
Though its single channel so you wont get pristine cleans and heavy dist at the same time.