So today and in the next couple days I'm going take a shot at trying to figure out the song 'Don't Fear the Reaper' by Blue oyster cult by ear. I have started and had figured out the beginning chords which are Am, G Major, F major then back to G major. But I am trying to figure out the key of the song, people often say "Listen to the bass note" but unfortunately its hard for me to hear and I couldn't pick out then note it would be playing. So in order to find out the key of the song I would find the note that is "home base" that it resolves too; in this case G? How can I tell if its in major or minor? Does the key or scales being used change when it comes to the solos or anything? Any advice that can help me learn this song by ear and Analyze it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance UG members!
"
Every band that is favored in the genre sells-out and commercializes... That's just the way it is :/"

ESP SV standard
Ibanez RG7321
It doesn't resolve to G, it resolves to Am. If you play the progression up to the G, it'll sound unfinished, or incomplete, until you play the Am. So the key is A minor.
Last edited by Cavalcade at Sep 15, 2011,
Alright but just cause its the last chord in the progression means thats the key? but when picking the chord all them let the g note ring out so i assumed that was how the chords resolved. Do you know what type of cadence is used from Gmajor to A minor?
"
Every band that is favored in the genre sells-out and commercializes... That's just the way it is :/"

ESP SV standard
Ibanez RG7321
There is no "last chord" in the progression if you play it over and over, since it just starts again. In fact, for most progressions, the first chord is the root, and the "last" chord resolves back to it.
A ringing note just adds flavor. The lowest note is the most important one (except for inversions).
oh alright yeah i understand what you mean I thought of the progression as much smaller with just AMin, GMaj, FMaj, GMaj, when in fact the progression is played 8 times and ends on an AMin.
"

ESP SV standard
Ibanez RG7321
thanks man anymore help on this would be appreciated concering my other questions and tips for learning this song by ear as its my first one, i have done interval ear training lots in the past and have learned short melodies which helped my ears quite a bit.. But more help on the other questions please!
"

ESP SV standard
Ibanez RG7321
Hey sean you are wrong, i see the pattern of you just saying stuff is wrong and incorrect, but it acctually is these are the chords play it to the song and your ears will tell you the truth. Also you said my scale book is not a good scale book to practice from yet for both posts you leave no explanation just so people will come contact you and pay you for lessons. This is a community of people helping each other out there shouldn't be a price tag with that. It's annoying when you come on here just to try make money from people who don't understand the guitar fully.
"

ESP SV standard
Ibanez RG7321
Quote by monobrow7
Hey sean you are wrong, i see the pattern of you just saying stuff is wrong and incorrect, but it acctually is these are the chords play it to the song and your ears will tell you the truth. Also you said my scale book is not a good scale book to practice from yet for both posts you leave no explanation just so people will come contact you and pay you for lessons. This is a community of people helping each other out there shouldn't be a price tag with that. It's annoying when you come on here just to try make money from people who don't understand the guitar fully.

Whether or not thats his intention in this case is moot since he's right. You got the g major right but technically the other 2 chords are incomplete.
Quote by monobrow7

Sorry you choose to feel that way. You might want to educate yourself, further about what I do, from looking and reading my profile and blogs, before judging me, and presuming to know my heart mind and intent.

This knee jerk resentment is only hurting you, and showing that you have a bit of growing up to do. I have over 50 students at this moment from UG Musicians talk, but every one of them came to me. As for making money - the students that I do have don't mind a bit paying for it, as they cost less than Private Lessons, and, they are well on the way to learning the guitar at a rapid pace.

A worker is worth their wages, if they deliver value for it. I have thousands of posts here helping people - you'd think that if I were all smoke and mirrors you'd have had people jumping out of the woodwork by now, to "expose" me for the fraud I am on here in order to "save" others form enrolling, yet that hasn't happened once in 2 years?

Why is that?

Now on to your complaint about the chords being right. They aren't - ztwenny even confirmed it above. The rest of MT can chime in if you need more, believe me.

What I will have you do, to prove this, is post every single note in Musical Alphabet form over the Am "F" and G arpeggios, and let MT educate you as to what the chords really are arpeggiating.

Ignorance, is one thing but arrogance and presuming upon my motives is another matter all together. Now, you are persisting to be willfully ignorant, and at the same time judging me.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Sep 19, 2011,
Quote by monobrow7
So today and in the next couple days I'm going take a shot at trying to figure out the song 'Don't Fear the Reaper' by Blue oyster cult by ear. I have started and had figured out the beginning chords which are Am, G Major, F major then back to G major. But I am trying to figure out the key of the song, people often say "Listen to the bass note" but unfortunately its hard for me to hear and I couldn't pick out then note it would be playing. So in order to find out the key of the song I would find the note that is "home base" that it resolves too; in this case G? How can I tell if its in major or minor? Does the key or scales being used change when it comes to the solos or anything? Any advice that can help me learn this song by ear and Analyze it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance UG members!

What you need is to be familiar with the harmonized Major and minor scales, and common chord progressions in each.

You have the right idea with the Am G F, but you should hear Am as the tonic chord.
If you knew the harmonized Am scale you would see that those chords belong.

|: i VII VI VII :|

^ fairly typical minor progression.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 19, 2011,
ok thanks for the advice, i was ignorant sorry i am just in a state of frusration, as trying to understand and perceive music frustrates me, i know i have the wrong perspective on practicing and understanding music as a whole and its wasting my time and taking up my time but with no results. As for the notes they would be AM - ACE, FAC for F major and GBD for G major apreggio's correct or incorrect. Again sorry for my ignorance and false accusations.
"

ESP SV standard
Ibanez RG7321
Music theory is generally a pain in the ass, since there's no easy way to visualize it fluently. In time, if you get used to it, you can see it in your mind, but in a more abstract sort of way- for instance, hearing a root chord and immediately knowing what the VI chord would sound like.
yeah i figured that would be the case, i just really want to learn how to write and make good solos, and i guess theory is the only way to make them sound good along with ear training. But yeah it must take awhile to memorize the formulas for chords and the keys and also must of done a lot of ear training to get to the point you are talking about.

So for people who have to train their ears they can only reach a well trained ear that must hear phrases and stuff with relative pitch? As most people cant hear a note and distinguish it between other notes.
"

ESP SV standard
Ibanez RG7321
Ear-training will come with time. It helps to learn what key a few songs are in (ie Stairway to Heaven = Am, Crazy Train = F#m), and then, when they come on the radio or whatever, they'll act as an example of what that pitch sounds like.
Quote by monobrow7
ok thanks for the advice, i was ignorant sorry i am just in a state of frusration, as trying to understand and perceive music frustrates me, i know i have the wrong perspective on practicing and understanding music as a whole and its wasting my time and taking up my time but with no results. As for the notes they would be AM - ACE, FAC for F major and GBD for G major apreggio's correct or incorrect. Again sorry for my ignorance and false accusations.

Your "F" consists of the notes F C D and G in the intro.

F is the Root, C is the 5th G is the 9th and D is the 13th - It has no major 3rd.

You would be better looking at it as an F5 and repeating the G and D to stay consistent with a theme in the riff, rather than trying to identify that as a chord that is played as an "arpeggio", because functionally, it's serving a theme repetition within a riff, carried on in the G arp where the same 2 open strings are utilized, making the theme "stick" together.

As for strumming the chords of the song, once it starts the F would be fine and perfectly correct. But the intro isn't simply an F, as discussed above.

Good luck...apology accepted!

Best,

Sean
im audiolizing(yes i made up that worD) how the song sounds based on what i remember it is sounding like the solo is the harmonic minor scale. am i right? sounds like a half step leading tone into the tonic. someone confirm.

^ spell corrected so it is understandable.
Blues, classical, metal. Who says you cant love all 3?
Last edited by ThatDarnDavid at Sep 21, 2011,
Quote by ThatDarnDavid
im audiolizing(yes i made up that worD) how the song sounds based on what i remember is sounding like and i think the solo is the harmonic minor scale. am i write? sounds like a half step leading tone into the tonic. someone confirm.

You are, indeed, write. You are just write a post.
In all seriousness, from what I remember, it does sound like harmonic minor, just inverted over the 5th (making it a Phrygian dominant scale, which is basically the same thing).
Quote by Cavalcade
In all seriousness, from what I remember, it does sound like harmonic minor, just inverted over the 5th (making it a Phrygian dominant scale, which is basically the same thing).

lol very funny i meant "am i right" i swear im not retarded. just distracted and jacked up on coffee."
Blues, classical, metal. Who says you cant love all 3?
Quote by Cavalcade

If you mean the middle solo section, then yes (Phrygian Dominant).

But to be clear for the TS - this opening lick is not in A Harmonic minor, as there is no E.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Sep 21, 2011,
if its in A minor then its also in C major since A's relative major is C.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
if its in A minor then its also in C major since A's relative major is C.

smh
alright well ill use my ear to decide between the scales and see what one is correct.
"

ESP SV standard
Ibanez RG7321