Page 1 of 2
I am doing a project at school and it would be really great if you guys could answer a few questions for me, Cheers

How Long Have You been Playing/Learning Guitar?
¤Under 1 Year
¤1-2 Years
¤3-5 Years
¤6+ Years

How Dedicated are you to Playing Guitar?
¤Not At All
¤Pastime
¤Hobby
¤Professionally

Which Learning Techniques Have you used?
¤Teacher
¤Progressive Books
¤Tab Books
¤Videos
¤Self-Taught
¤Online Lessons
¤Friend
¤Other (Please Specify)

Which Technique was most effective for you and why?
x Under 1 Year
¤1-2 Years
¤3-5 Years
¤6+ Years

¤Not At All
¤Pastime
x Hobby
¤Professionally

¤Teacher
¤Progressive Books
x Tab Books
x Videos
x Self-Taught
¤Online Lessons
¤Friend
¤Other (Please Specify)
Quote by Jacko357
I am doing a project at school and it would be really great if you guys could answer a few questions for me, Cheers

¤Under 1 Year
¤1-2 Years
¤3-5 Years
¤6+ Years

¤Not At All
¤Pastime
¤Hobby
¤Professionally

¤Teacher
¤Progressive Books
¤Tab Books
¤Videos
¤Self-Taught
¤Online Lessons
¤Friend
¤Other (Please Specify)

1 - why is there no level between "hobby" and "professional". I'm not a pro but I think calling myself a hobbyist is somewhat insulting to the amount of practice I used to do and the amount of playing I still do.

2 - What on earth is a 'progressive book'?

3 - How do you define self-taught? A lot of people would define it as just being anything that doesn't involve a direct human teacher but obviously you don't, do you mean completely alone with no outside direction at all?

4 - 'Online lessons' is somewhat nebulous, do you mean like correspondence lessons from a teacher? Text lessons like you find on here? Online videos?

5 - By technique do you mean learning technique or playing technique? Like which lessons worked best for you? Don't you think that's a little hard to define? I mean, I had a teacher for a while when I'd just started playing but he didn't teach me half of what I know today, he gave me the absolute basics to work from; you can't compare what he taught me to what I taught myself...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
thankyou for your deconstructive critisicm. And a progressive book is a book that as you progress through it, the lessons get more complex.
Quote by Jacko357
thankyou for your deconstructive critisicm. And a progressive book is a book that as you progress through it, the lessons get more complex.

Ok, cool, now maybe if you answer the other questions I'll actually complete your survey; I wasn't asking for the hell of it, I would actually like some clarification...

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Sure, no problem

6+ Years

How Dedicated are you to Playing Guitar? Hobby

Which Learning Techniques Have you used? Teacher, Progressive Books, Tab Books, Videos, Self-Taught.

Training my ear. I used to sit down with a CD playing and just find the rhythm, the pitch, the riff and the solo. It was an incredibly powerful way to train my ear and over time, it improved all areas of my playing, especially my improv.
"We weren’t too ambitious when we started out. We just wanted to be the biggest thing that ever walked the planet."
-- Steven Tyler
Dude, I think you're being pretty stupid. It's a survey for school, not a government census. Just pick the closest answer.

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
1 - why is there no level between "hobby" and "professional". I'm not a pro but I think calling myself a hobbyist is somewhat insulting to the amount of practice I used to do and the amount of playing I still do.

3 - How do you define self-taught? A lot of people would define it as just being anything that doesn't involve a direct human teacher but obviously you don't, do you mean completely alone with no outside direction at all?

4 - 'Online lessons' is somewhat nebulous, do you mean like correspondence lessons from a teacher? Text lessons like you find on here? Online videos?

5 - By technique do you mean learning technique or playing technique? Like which lessons worked best for you? Don't you think that's a little hard to define? I mean, I had a teacher for a while when I'd just started playing but he didn't teach me half of what I know today, he gave me the absolute basics to work from; you can't compare what he taught me to what I taught myself...
"We weren’t too ambitious when we started out. We just wanted to be the biggest thing that ever walked the planet."
-- Steven Tyler
Quote by Jacko357

I'd say it was constructive criticism and I'd like those issues addressed too. However, since you failed to elaborate, I shall answer your questions in my own way:

5 years.

Obsessed and I'd like to take it to a professional level.

I had two or three lessons with a teacher but the only real thing I learned from him was the finger per fret rule. My learning has mainly come from reading internet articles, forums, and watching youtube videos... Filtering through all the crap to figure out what makes sense and what doesn't.

Learning technique wise: breaking everything down, isolating problems and then working past them slowly.
Guitar technique wise: I can say the basics are very important; no matter what fancy techniques you use, if there's something fundamentally wrong with your fretting or your posture, you're going to have problems.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by Jacko357

¤Under 1 Year
¤1-2 Years
¤3-5 Years
¤6+ Years

¤Not At All
¤Pastime
¤Hobby
¤Professionally

¤Teacher
¤Progressive Books
¤Tab Books
¤Videos
¤Self-Taught
¤Online Lessons
¤Friend
¤Other (Please Specify)

Playing for 3 years

Hobby (since there's nothing between hobby and professional, and I'm not a pro).

Never had a professional guitar teacher, but have used every other resource available to me (the ones you listed other than teacher).

I find that if you have a good teacher (the key word is good, not just some wannabe rockstar who's trying to make some money because his band failed to get anywhere; a serious teacher who loves teaching and knows his stuff), then you can benefit greatly. Otherwise, as long as you are literate, have patience, self-motivated, and all of that stuff then I prefer learning on my own (using the resources mentioned).

Since I did your survey I would appreciate it if you click on the link in my sig.
¤3-5 Years

¤Hobby

¤Teacher
¤Tab Books
¤Videos
¤Self-Taught
¤Online Lessons
¤Friend
¤Other (Online articles)

Teacher, I'd say. Someone's there to spot all your mistakes and correct you. Online articles are a close second. Even though the articles are more theory-based, they've helped me deconstruct some aspects of the guitar playing, allowing me to apply my techniques more easily.
¤Under 1 Year
¤1-2 Years
¤3-5 Years

¤6+ Years

¤Not At All
¤Pastime
¤Hobby
¤Professionally
- similar to zaph, i wouldn't consider myself professional but in all instruments i take seriously i'd like to say i'm more than a hobbyist.

¤Teacher
¤Progressive Books
¤Tab Books
¤Videos
¤Self-Taught
- took a music theory class in school, but most of my learning was trial, error, and observation of other guitarists/posters here. chord and scale construction can take you pretty damn far theoretically as a start, so i felt no need to use teachers. i'm simply self sufficient, though.
¤Online Lessons
¤Friend
¤Other (Please Specify)
modes are a social construct

¤6+ Years

¤Hobby

¤Tab Books

¤Self-Taught
¤Online Lessons
¤Other (Dad)

Self taught/online lessons. They go hand in hand. I just learned chords, scales, etc. and lots of songs and eventually everything else fell into place.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
¤3-5 Years (3 to be exact)

ADDICTION

¤Teacher
¤Videos
¤Self-Taught
Where's Waldo?
Started at 14, played on /off till around 19 then lost interest because I had no teacher and i only knew 4 chords. Picked it up again at the age of 32 and have been playing for the last 1 year

Definitely not professionally cause I am married with a kid and have a day job so I don't have the time. But personally I would love to be able to get my technique on par with a professional musician. I love playing and I play whenver I get the chance.
P.S:But if I were to get the call to replace Mark Tremonti or Slash, I sure would quit my day job

¤Tab Books
¤Videos
Online Lessons
x3-5 Years

xHobby - However, I wish to get to a professional standard with it: think of it as a very serious hobby.

xTeacher
xProgressive Books
xTab Books
xVideos
xSelf-Taught at one point
xOnline Lessons
xFriend
xOther (I lurk MT for info a lot)

Which was best?
A combination of all of them, but what has helped me develop most is finger strength building exercises. In terms of the above list, almost certainly a mix of having a teacher and free online lessons.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Sep 16, 2011,
¤Under 1 Year
¤1-2 Years
¤3-5 Years
¤6+ Years

¤Not At All
¤Pastime
¤Hobby
¤Professionally

¤Teacher
¤Progressive Books
¤Tab Books
¤Videos
¤Self-Taught

¤Online Lessons
¤Friend
¤Other (Please Specify)

Personally i find my teacher great for advancing technique and to get good grounding in theory. Self teaching and lots of reading to develop those basic ideas my teacher gives me into more advanced concepts.
¤6+ Years

¤Professionally

¤Self-Taught
*Books

Using my ears before using a book. I'd learn everything by ear but when I get stuck I used to turn to tabs. Pretty confident with my note hearing, I can work things out quick. Only bother using tabs if I CBA to sit and work it out.
Regards
Last edited by MrTinkle at Sep 16, 2011,
Quote by Jacko357

¤Under 1 Year
¤1-2 Years
¤3-5 Years
¤6+ Years

¤Not At All
¤Pastime
¤Hobby
¤Professionally

¤Teacher
¤Progressive Books
¤Tab Books
¤Videos
¤Self-Taught
¤Online Lessons
¤Friend
¤Other (Please Specify)

1. 6+ years

2. It was a hobby and now i want it to be professionally

3. Teacher, Self-taught, Videos, Tabs and Guitar Books
How Long Have You been Playing/Learning Guitar
x1-2 Years

xProfessionally

xVideos
xFriend
xTab Book

Watching videos in combination with the other two options by far has been very effective for me. Watching videos of people performing techniques allows me to correct my mistakes as best as I can. And you'll be surprised at how much you can just figure out yourself with enough practice.

Unfortunately I have not had a traditional teacher but I very well plan on taking lessons when money allows.
*3-5 Years

*Pastime
*Hobby

*Teacher
*Self-Taught

I took lessons for a year or so, to get started and make sure my technique was okay before I did anything else. That was a good way to start, but unless you can find a teacher that plays the exact same stuff you do, you can only get so far, and since then I've been self-taught. So I'd say a bit of each.
Your list is FAR from accurate , and you should have clarified as Zaphod suggested ...
PS : English is not my first language
Q:How long have you been playing guitar?
A:A year and a half.

Q:How dedicated are you to guitar?
A:I'm not a professional, but I take it way more serious then just a hobby.

Q:What learning techniques have you used?
A:Book, Online lessons

Q:Which technique was most effective for you and why?
A:Online lessons. There is a lot of information on the internet.
Quote by Jacko357

¤Under 1 Year
¤1-2 Years - YES
¤3-5 Years
¤6+ Years

¤Not At All
¤Pastime
¤Hobby - YES
¤Professionally

¤Teacher - YES
¤Progressive Books - YES
¤Tab Books - YES
¤Videos - YES
¤Self-Taught - YES
¤Online Lessons - YES
¤Friend
¤Other (Please Specify)

you tube videos
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

what a douche!
I suck btw just a heads up

¤Under 1 Year
x1-2 Years
¤3-5 Years
¤6+ Years

¤Not At All
¤Pastime
xHobby
¤Professionally

xTeacher
xProgressive Books
xTab Books
¤Videos
¤Self-Taught
¤Online Lessons
¤Friend
¤Other (Please Specify)
I like shotguns. thats all you need to know
Quote by hellybelly
what a douche!

Looooool

I don't even know why people like you are on this forum.
Where's Waldo?
How Long Have You been Playing/Learning Guitar? 3-5 Years

How Dedicated are you to Playing Guitar? Hobby

Which Learning Techniques Have you used? Videos, Self-Taught, Online Lessons (I had 4 lessons, didn't like them)
¤1-2 Years

¤Hobby

¤Teacher
¤Videos
¤Online Lessons

Good luck man
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.

9 years

¤Hobby

¤Self-Taught
¤Friend
¤Learning by teaching

I teach guitar lessons in Kuwait and honestly, just by teaching theory and techniques, I feel I've progressed considerably and gotten ridiculously better at it. It's the Randy Rhoad's way of doing it... learn by teaching others.
¤Under 1 Year
¤1-2 Years
¤3-5 Years - But only about 1 year was actually serious.
¤6+ Years

¤Not At All
¤Pastime
¤Hobby
¤Professionally

¤Teacher
¤Progressive Books
¤Tab Books
¤Videos
¤Self-Taught
¤Online Lessons
¤Friend
¤Other (Please Specify)

Online Lessons because they are normally very well written and easy to learn from I guess
Last edited by Swete at Sep 17, 2011,
¤6+ Years

¤Professionally

¤Teacher
¤Progressive Books
¤Tab Books
¤Videos
¤Self-Taught
¤Other (Please Specify) - Music School

School; it was more structured, forced me to study/practice, instructors were great, and I also learned a lot from my peers.
I'd like to help, but not as much as I'd like not to.

"To be successful, you need to be a good musician. To be popular, you just need to be fashionable" - Ritchie Blackmore
under one year
hobby
self-taught
Music is a universal language and it need not be translated, with it soul speaks to soul.
Thank you all very much for your responses this is seriously helping me out so much. and because many of you have asked i shall clarify the questions. but seriously this is just for school and shouldn't be taken very seriously, and even if the possible answers aren't exactly what you want, could you please just do it to the closest answer, as i cannot have a thousand different answers. thanks again

I couldn't think of another option, sorry.

A book that progressively gets harder.

Very little, or no other help besides yourself (and i would say that training by ear would go here, as you are teaching yourself the song)

Online lessons refers to videos, or teachers that are only available on the internet.

Technique in this means Learning Technique, and as i said before if you can just round your answer to the closest possible answer it would be most appreciated.

Thanks Again Again
Quote by Jacko357

¤3-5 Years

¤Professionally

¤Self-Taught
¤Online Lessons
¤Friend
¤Other (Please Specify)

I am studying a music course for 1 year.

Things like legato and similar styles.

This is common in many many forms of music in its various forms. Before I played guitar I played saxophone for 7 years, which gave me strong fingers, which helped me to get all the legato stuff down very quickly.

I'd also like to give a strong mention to funk strumming.
Last edited by jkielq91 at Sep 18, 2011,
Quote by Jacko357

¤Under 1 Year
¤1-2 Years
¤3-5 Years
¤6+ Years

¤Not At All
¤Pastime
¤Hobby
¤Professionally

¤Teacher
¤Progressive Books
¤Tab Books
¤Videos
¤Self-Taught
¤Online Lessons
¤Friend
¤Other (Please Specify)

Teacher, the ability to ask questions and get imdediate answers is better than not being able to ask a question on an online lesson.

My answers are in bold dude
Quote by Jacko357

¤6+ Years

¤Professionally

Books
Self-Taught

It's hard to answer I been playing like 20 years... What is most effective for me has changed time and time again depending on my weak areas and what stage I have been at the time.
Lots and lots of practice.

---
¤6+ Years

¤Hobby
¤Professionally

¤Teacher
¤Videos (internet)
¤Self-Taught
¤Other- Learned by ear.

Which Technique was most effective for you and why? -We had a guitar class in school and thats where I learned theory and the fundamentals. The most helpful thing was just being around musicians all the time...all of my friends are musicians and we play together alot and in the class we would do improv blues solo over a 12-bar progression and it helped alot to force us to come up with stuff on the spot in addition to being guided through material.
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
Quote by sonny bb
¤6+ Years

¤Hobby
¤Professionally

¤Teacher
¤Videos (internet)
¤Self-Taught
¤Other- Learned by ear.

Which Technique was most effective for you and why? -We had a guitar class in school and thats where I learned theory and the fundamentals. The most helpful thing was just being around musicians all the time...all of my friends are musicians and we play together alot and in the class we would do improv blues solo over a 12-bar progression and it helped alot to force us to come up with stuff on the spot in addition to being guided through material.

I also acquired an 8 track early on that allowed me to hear myself playing so I could pinpoint what needed work. That was and still is a MAJOR part in how I learned to play. It's also a helpful writing tool!
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
Quote by Jacko357
Thank you all very much for your responses this is seriously helping me out so much. and because many of you have asked i shall clarify the questions. but seriously this is just for school and shouldn't be taken very seriously, and even if the possible answers aren't exactly what you want, could you please just do it to the closest answer, as i cannot have a thousand different answers. thanks again

I couldn't think of another option, sorry.

A book that progressively gets harder.

Very little, or no other help besides yourself (and i would say that training by ear would go here, as you are teaching yourself the song)

Online lessons refers to videos, or teachers that are only available on the internet.

Technique in this means Learning Technique, and as i said before if you can just round your answer to the closest possible answer it would be most appreciated.

Thanks Again Again

Awesome, thank you, in which case:

6+ years

Hobby

teacher, progressive books, videos, self-taught, online lessons

Honestly I've found that I've made the most progress while teaching myself from video lessons, I'm quite a visual learner when it comes to these things, that being said, the guy who taught me did give the basics and foundation of everything I now do so I owe him a huge amount as well.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.

6+ Years

Professionally*

¤Teacher
¤Progressive Books
¤Tab Books
¤Videos
¤Online Lessons

Teacher because he can show me everything exactly as it should be and there is almost no chance of misinterpretation.

*I don't play professionally, but my dedication is at a professional level.
Page 1 of 2