Page 1 of 4
don't know if anyone's seen this but:

topshop/topman (fashion shop) have had to remove a line of slogan t-shirts from their shelves because of the slogans they contained sexist slogans and others that seemed to promote domestic violence.

The other was said to glamorise domestic violence by saying “I’m so sorry, but…” followed by a list of male excuses such as “you provoked me” and “I was drunk”. read more: http://www.tntmagazine.com/tnt-today/archive/2011/09/15/topshop-sexist-t-shirts-what-breed-is-your-girlfriend-off-shelves.aspx#ixzz1Y4KpHaxU

picture of a couple of the shirts in question

link

while i sometimes think some risky/edgy slogans on tshirts can be funny if taken the right way, i just don't agree with these at all, some slogans that are a little sexist about women getting to the kitchen or sexual about telling girls to get their tits out or something can be funny if put in a funny way and taken the right way but shirts that have a checklist for domestic violence excuses is too far.

what does everyone else think??
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by genghisgandhi
I hate douches who go to places like 6 Flags with shirts with curse words on them.

I love seeing the guys with Lamb of God shirts with the words "American Fucking Metal" or whatever it is on the back of their shirt. They're so cool.
I used to have a t shirt which said "I like girls who like girls".
Several of my lesbian friends tore it off me at a party and told me off for being a chauvinist apparently

I don't see any problem at all with the 2nd picture in the OP though. The first one maybe has an argument against it...but...."I'm sorry..I was drunk" ? What?

EDIT: Nvm, domestic violence. That's a bit of conclusion hopping though.
What breed: disgusting
Checklist: Sorry, I fail to see how that's a domestic violence shirt.

SHEdit
Quote by SkepsisMetal
I used to have a t shirt which said "I like girls who like girls".
Several of my lesbian friends tore it off me at a party

Great success comrade

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by RU Experienced?
I think that anyone who wears ironic/"humorous" t-shirts should be buried alive.

Even Awesome Possum T-shirts?
Anyone who wears one of those shirts should be stranded on a desert island where they will inevitably be raped by a pack of man eating, Aids infested, rabid kangaroos.
"Recording is God's way of telling you that you suck." -Bob Brozman
Quote by SteveHouse
What breed: disgusting
Checklist: Sorry, I fail to see how that's a domestic violence shirt.

I am the opposite. I don't get the breed one
yeah they're both pretty creepy, i don't know why but that kind of possessive sexism really creeps me out
Quote by ErikLensherr
It's threads like this that separate grammar Nazis from only mildly anti-Semitic grammar conservatives.
Quote by genghisgandhi
It implies he beats so many women that he has an excuse checklist at the ready to deal with the aftermath.

Or that he gets in so many fights.

Also the breed one is disgusting because women aren't dogs.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by severed-metal
Even Awesome Possum T-shirts?

Especially awesome possum shirts.

They just haven't been the same since they went mainstream.
How the hell does the second shirt imply the list is about domestic violence. That's a massive leap of faith unless I'm missing something.

It could equally be about saying something a tad mean, or slamming a door. I don't see what it is that's leading everyone to thinking it's about domestic violence.
Quote by genghisgandhi
http://youtu.be/biNo8Pu4Spc?t=1m48s

Well as Lil B explains, a bitch either is or isn't a beast. They are also similar to goats.

I wish I had a bitch that could deep throat like a fuckin' goat

Wait... did he say "no homo" about a goat?
Quote by ethan_hanus
So, if they are offended by these shirts, why don't they take away the Che shirts...the man murdered thousands of people, and enjoyed it...seems like it would be offensive to alot of pro life people.......hummm.

Because most people on the street have no idea who Che is. On the other hand, most people would be offended by the breed t shirt, whether it be the racial connotations, or the aforementioned "the bitch is a beast" connotations.
Quote by genghisgandhi
Because most people on the street have no idea who Che is. On the other hand, most people would be offended by the breed t shirt, whether it be the racial connotations, or the aforementioned "the bitch is a beast" connotations.

Yeah, I'm also offended by the idiots who cut me off on the highway. People are stupid, and can't just suck it up when something offends them anymore...what has the world come to.
Quote by captaincrunk
Dogs aren't the only thing that comes in "breeds".

Don't be so pedantic. Admittedly I thought the exact same thing, but I was able to hold my tongue.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Yeah, I'm also offended by the idiots who cut me off on the highway. People are stupid, and can't just suck it up when something offends them anymore...what has the world come to.

I blame Texas
Quote by ethan_hanus

YOU'RE STUPID.
They're sexist. So what? That doesn't mean they should be removed. If someone honestly thinks like that they should be able to wear that shirt. Freedom of speech and what-not.
Quote by UntilISleep
They're sexist. So what? That doesn't mean they should be removed. If someone honestly thinks like that they should be able to wear that shirt. Freedom of speech and what-not.

No one made the company take anything down >_>

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
No one made the company take anything down >_>

Sorry. I guess I should have read the article >_>
Quote by UntilISleep

the point is that a major clothes firm should not endorse domestic violence, which the second shirt clearly does,and anway, what sort of a **** would wear a shirt like that?

So what, people who are bullied should just accept it? you're clearly trolling
Quote by ErikLensherr
It's threads like this that separate grammar Nazis from only mildly anti-Semitic grammar conservatives.
Last edited by teh_goon at Sep 15, 2011,
I can see the kind of person who'd wear those shirts are the kind that treat women like shit but get laid all the time anyway.
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by bass-man9712
I can see the kind of person who'd wear those shirts are the kind that treat women like shit but get laid all the time anyway.

That's pretty much Topman's core demographic.

Also, they're owned by Phillip Green who is a bald twat who doesn't pay his taxes.
I don't really have time to link to it but The Guardian's Comment Is Free has a really good article about this, about the normalization of casual misogyny.

The t shirts are gross. I don't shop at Topshop anyway.
Page 1 of 4