Story: Brought my guitar to school, and told my friend to watch it for a sec while I picked my gig bag off the floor to put it back in. He got a drink of water at the water fountain and didn't see it falling against the tile. Headstock snapped off.

I called up my local guitar center and they said that it's usually shot when the headstock breaks. Is it possible to use wood glue to glue the headstock back into place? It was a clean break, no rugged cuts into it or anything, and it's an acoustic, so I'm pretty sure I can fix it right?

Any help is appreciated. I need it for school shows, so anything that you can contribute to help me out is awesome.

Feels bad man....

Posted this thread already in another forum, but I just saw this one right now.
Neo-Classical is ftw.
Quote by ethan_hanus
NVM...

Get a new guitar.

But I don't want a new one... I already have 2 electrics. I don't have the cash for a new one right now. You sure I can't just glue the headstock back in place? It was a really clean break.
Neo-Classical is ftw.
Quote by ethan_hanus
You can try, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. You can try it yourself, but don't bother taking it to a professional, it'll cost more than that thing is worth.

Awesome, thanks man. That's the last time I leave my guitar unattended... T_T
Neo-Classical is ftw.
Answer... Maybe. You don't show us a picture of the break. If you can get a good, solid mechanical joint, that is, if the pieces fit together well, then it might work.
Get some Titebond II or Titebond III. Apply the glue as much as you can to the total surface of the broken area.
Clamp the pieces together overnight. You can use Rubber bands, pieces of bike inner tube... Something like that that will not stick to the glue. Wipe off any excess.
Good luck.
can it be fixed? yes. can you do it? not if you have to ask - this would be a job that requires experience and knowledge. if you do it wrong, the headstock will break off again or the guitar won't sound right. can a professional do it? probably so, but if you can't afford another guitar, you probably can't afford the repair. still, couldn't hurt to take it to someone and get a price.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
http://i.imgur.com/XgqRQ.jpg

Clean break, no splintering outwards. The neck and the headstock are completely in line and practically fall into place.

Here ya go. I'll try the glue and clamp thing then. Doesn't sound too hard IMO. Thanks for the answers guys!

EDIT: iPhone image is way too gigantic so I removed the IMG tags.
Neo-Classical is ftw.
I would say you have a pretty good chance of success. There's a lot of glueing surface there and the break is at an angle which means part of the force of the strings is going to be in "shear" rather than horizontal.
A pro would likely glue this together, then route a channel through both pieces and glue in a reinforcing piece of hardwood or even carbon-fiber material.

Consider using lighter-gauge strings after the glue job.
Without pics of the actual break we cant say how easy it'll be to fix. Most of the time, regluing a headstock is really easy and all you need is some titebond and a couple clamps and the guitar is as good as new. Some breaks can be more tricky. When the guitar tec at GC told you that it's probably shot, he was wrong. It's probably an easy fix but there is a chance it's shot. With a low end acoustic like yours, it's not worth taking to a luthier, but it is worth spending a couple bob on some glue and attempting a fix yourself.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
Without pics of the actual break we cant say how easy it'll be to fix. Most of the time, regluing a headstock is really easy and all you need is some titebond and a couple clamps and the guitar is as good as new. Some breaks can be more tricky. When the guitar tec at GC told you that it's probably shot, he was wrong. It's probably an easy fix but there is a chance it's shot. With a low end acoustic like yours, it's not worth taking to a luthier, but it is worth spending a couple bob on some glue and attempting a fix yourself.

There is a picture of the actual break.
Guitars Owned
~ None (Yet)
I didn't see the link, sorry.

That break looks like it would be very simple to fix. Take out the tuners, put some glue on there, clamp it together, wipe off the extra glue with a damp rag, and let it sit for 8 hrs. Then you should be good to go. Do a dry fitting 1st to make sure that you can get the clamps into place and line everything up. Then remember that when you do use the glue stuff is going to slip around so don't use too much glue, don't clamp it too hard, and be sure to double check your work. There should be just enough glue to get visible squeez out without the glue running and you should clamp it just hard enough to hold it all together. Too much pressure will make things slip and sqeeze too much glue out making the joint weak.

Remeber this and you should be fine
Not taking any online orders.
The biggest issue in fixing something like this is getting the parts to mate exactly, without sliding out of position. Wet glue is pretty slippery. Were I to tackle this job, I'd try to make some blocks, top and bottom, matched to the shape of the parts, while providing flat, parallel surfaces for the "C" clamp itself. This also avoids potential damage to the neck or headstock from the metal C clamp.

Making a jig for a job such as this is an extra effort well spent.

PS, make sure to put a non stick material between a wood block and the neck joint, just so's you don't accidentally glue the jig blocks onto the neck permanently! (That's probably obvious, but hey, somebody might forget if they were a bit panicky about the job).
Last edited by Captaincranky at Sep 17, 2011,
Ahh sorry to hear that TS. Something very similar just happened to my mate as soon as he restrung it. Luckily it didn't snap off it just left a hefty split in the same sorta area. I was wondering what actually caused this.

He has an Ibanez aef acoustic, we're thinking the strings were wrong on it. They were Elixir nanoweb medium gauges for acoustic and he used to have heavier gauge so it'd be weird if it was being the strings were too heavy. He did recently get it shipped over here from American, could it be the guitar was stressed from the flight? We didnt notice a crack til we actually restrung it though.

Finally, how much would you guys reckon it'd cost to get fixed?
Last edited by slayer_rule_\m/ at Sep 17, 2011,
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
Ahh sorry to hear that TS. Something very similar just happened to my mate as soon as he restrung it. Luckily it didn't snap off it just left a hefty split in the same sorta area. I was wondering what actually caused this.

He has an Ibanez aef acoustic, we're thinking the strings were wrong on it. They were Elixir nanoweb medium gauges for acoustic and he used to have heavier gauge so it'd be weird if it was being the strings were too heavy. He did recently get it shipped over here from American, could it be the guitar was stressed from the flight? We didnt notice a crack til we actually restrung it though.

Finally, how much would you guys reckon it'd cost to get fixed?

I broke mine almost the same way as you except mine had more splinters, fixed for 150.00 canadian and sounds just like it did when I bought it surprisingly.. I play with .13-.56 with absolutely no problems