Page 1 of 2
i've been watching a lot of films lately and it always kinda annoys me when a character i like dies, but on the other side of things if no-one ever died there'd be no tension, for example torchwood and doctor who are tense shows as they have repeatedly shown they're not afraid to kill charactersbut other things, like james bond for a bad example, are not tense cos you know he's gonna win (as will the doctor eventually, but side characters die)

It works in games and books etc as well and i can never decide whether i love or hate it, i still remeber the feeling of sadness after (spoiler for ancient game) sev died in republic commando..

Tl:dr, character dieing, good/bad? Keep spoilers to a minimum please
Quote by ErikLensherr
It's threads like this that separate grammar Nazis from only mildly anti-Semitic grammar conservatives.
Henry Blake
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
I hate it when my favorite characters die but better to watch them go than watch em grow.....to shit (sylar from heroes).
It's like everything in storytelling - it has to be used correctly. Gratuitous killing of central characters really only works for war movies and horror movies, and even then if it's done poorly, it's, well, poor. At the same time though, killing a character off can be a perfect move to create a certain feeling, or if you can't think of more to write for them and want to end them with their character intact, or something else.

It needs a reason, it needs to serve the work, and it needs to make sense. If it does, then sure. If not, you're doing it just to be edgy, and if you're so desperate for that title in the first place, start over.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Depends what the character/show is and why/how they died.

Like spoiler as if anyone hasn't seen it/heard it yet Ned Stark in Game of Thrones.
It immediately divided the people who had read the books and those who hadn't, because the people who just watched the show immediately went up in arms and hated everyone for killing him off. I admit I was a bit pissed off, but now I've read it, and have nearly finished the next book, he seems an almost irrelevant character who I don't care about anymore.
Last edited by SkepsisMetal at Sep 15, 2011,
It kind of depends on the show/whateva, you know? Like, L was a huge driving force behind what made Death Note cool, and killing him off ruined it. Other characters just seem to be asking for it (Fuck off, Rory), and I cheer for their exits. (Until you bring them back. Fuck off, Rory.)

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by teh_goon
do you like it when shows kill characters?

Poll?

And it depends on the show/ what its about/ who they kill/ how they kill them.
I don't really mind it. Most of the time when a character dies, it means the actor is leaving the series. What I don't like is when a character dies, or you think they die, only to have them reappear later with sunshine, rainbows and gumdrop buttons.
Check out my band Disturbed
Unless they're my absolute favorite character, I don't mind when they're killed off. Actually, I like it when it's a complete surprise like *SPOILERS*Aerith from Final Fantasy VII*END SPOILERS*.
Fanfiction profile: Kutlessrocker's Fanfiction profile. Click Me!

Quote by BrokenBricks
haha yah, kinda. cows are such hilarious creatures, they would be so worthless in nature. the totality of their existence is to taste good with A1 poured on them.
Quote by SkepsisMetal
*Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and fire talk*

I've read all the books and I still miss him a bit. Killing off a few Lannisters wouldn't hurt! A couple of Freys, too.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by Alter-Bridge
I've read all the books and I still miss him a bit. Killing off a few Lannisters wouldn't hurt! A couple of Freys, too.

Oh yeah, but I think I only miss him cuz he's Sean Bean. I now find myself wanting people to die who probably won't because they're too integral to the story. Ed was only important because he was going to die which started it all off
It's a common plot device in literature to advance the plot and evoke an emotional response from the reader. I think it can be done well.

In television series' it's usually just a cop out when an actor wants to move on with their career.
Quote by rockdude375
Poll?

And it depends on the show/ what its about/ who they kill/ how they kill them.

1. I don't know how/can't be arse to make a poll

2. this seems to be the consensus, i guess it does depend on the show, i mean if the simpsons killed off bart or someone it would be ridiculus
Quote by ErikLensherr
It's threads like this that separate grammar Nazis from only mildly anti-Semitic grammar conservatives.
Quote by Alter-Bridge
Henry Blake

i liked him, though how he died didn't really matter to me because he was probably out of the show for good whether he was dead or not. maybe i would feel different if i didn't know that.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
it depends. although i never like it when a character i like dies, i think it often does alot for the story to have relatable characters killed.

ray bradbury's 'the martian chronicles' comes to mind. he would flat out wipe out every character introduced so far in the book. he did that like 4 or 5 times in the first 200 pages, then just start over with new characters. while i think its a bit of an exception, its a lovely work of literature and rather unique in that regard.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Quote by teh_goon
1. I don't know how/can't be arse to make a poll

2. this seems to be the consensus, i guess it does depend on the show, i mean if the simpsons killed off bart or someone it would be ridiculus

There's an option below the bit where you type when you create a new thread asking if you would like to make a poll. If you scroll down you cant miss it if you're looking for it.
Quote by daytripper75
*boromir*

Sometimes it's necessary, and makes the show/movie/book better.

I seriously hated seeing Boromir die
Quote by SteveHouse
It kind of depends on the show/whateva, you know? Like, L was a huge driving force behind what made Death Note cool, and killing him off ruined it. Other characters just seem to be asking for it (Fuck off, Rory), and I cheer for their exits. (Until you bring them back. Fuck off, Rory.)

Rory is the best.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
Quote by daytripper75

But...he didn't NEED to die.

I fought tears watching him become a pincushion.
Quote by goest

But the Denethor wouldn't have become a psychopath and Faramir wouldn't have gone off to defend that other place on the river.
Quote by goest

Yes he did. It served to show that nothing good can come from desiring the ring for selfish reasons. And without Boromir's death the first book/movie would have no emotional climax or reason for the splitting of the Fellowship.
Depends, i had to read lord of the flies for school and (SPOILER, not like it matters though) my favorite character was simeon who died first... but on the other end i wanted piggy to die from the beginning of chapter 1 and i practically cheered when he was killed
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
^ He quickly realized how wrong he was, though.

I really wouldn't have cared so much if it had been a different actor.

I love Sean Bean.
i only liked boromir when they killed him, he got his redemption, which i suppose happens alot when characters die, eg darth vader, numerous other spoilerific examples

it can feel a bit cheap, like boromir was the only good guy to die practically

Lord of the Flies is an interesting one, i didn't expect anyone to die, but i thought (spoiler for ancient book) jack and ralph might kill each other of something, it really made the last part tense
Quote by ErikLensherr
Last edited by teh_goon at Sep 15, 2011,
Quote by goest
^ He quickly realized how wrong he was, though.

I really wouldn't have cared so much if it had been a different actor.

I love Sean Bean.

It doesn't matter. The act of desiring it at all was enough.

And I love Sean Bean too, as well as Boromir's character.
Quote by teh_goon
it can feel a bit cheap, like boromir was the only good guy to die practically

Theoden.
Last edited by Thrasher51 at Sep 15, 2011,
Quote by daytripper75

That was sad when he died. Though I am impressed that he kept going for as long as he did with 3 or 4 arrows the size of tree branches sticking in him.
Fanfiction profile: Kutlessrocker's Fanfiction profile. Click Me!

Quote by BrokenBricks
haha yah, kinda. cows are such hilarious creatures, they would be so worthless in nature. the totality of their existence is to taste good with A1 poured on them.
Quote by Thrasher51
Rory is the best.

Rory is a whiny cunt who adds nothing.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Shows would be pretty boring if nobody ever died.

Edit: I swear Sean Bean never fails to make you regret his character's death. That's a sign of good acting right there.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Last edited by entity0009 at Sep 15, 2011,
rofl TEK34, nice spoilers for the wire, dude. remember, marlo dies at the end of the series also? lol
SPOILER ALERT:

Why do they have to kill the Doctor so many freaking times this season?!?!?!?!
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by Kutless Rocker
That was sad when he died. Though I am impressed that he kept going for as long as he did with 3 or 4 arrows the size of tree branches sticking in him.

When I was watching that I almost declared shenanigans.

*first arrow*
ohh he's gone...wait...wait oh! No he's going!
*second arrow*
well that did it see ya bor- oh no there he goes again
*arrow three*
oh come on now...
*arrow four*
there we go

Also, his death was necessary to show his redemption in the first place. We wouldn't actually think he saw his error if he didn't die defending the hobbits.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
yes. i think they should do it more often.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I hate when they kill off the only ****ing funny guy in the movie. Like on Shark Night, the black dude was the best character, and of course he dies first because he's black.
I like it. Even if I dislike the character.
*Spoilers*

THOSE LANNISTER BASTARDS KILLED MAH NIGGA NED! THOSE NIGHTS WATCH BASTARDS KILLED MAH NIGGA JON! THOSE FREY BASTARDS KILLED MAH NIGGA ROBB!
But then Catelyn died and all was forgiven.

*End spoilers*
THIS IS A LARGE DISTRACTING SIGNATURE.
Page 1 of 2