hey guys

does this sound right?
when i play through my traynor on the lead channel the gain cuts in and out.
it sounds to me like the gain from the preamp is going away because it doesn't do that with the clean channel (i always set it to be very clean).

i've had the amp for nearly 2 years so i know its about time for some new tubes but i just started my junior year in college and i'm waiting for my aid to kick.
so i'm hoping, should i just be able to get by with replacing the preamp tubes for a little bit?

its not huge volume drops, but the gain just dissapears

thanks!
you can test for an overly microphonic preamp tube by tapping on the tube and listening for that tapping sound coming through the speaker.

you can try swapping your V1 preamp tube V2 and note changes

you can buy a few preamp tubes now and be done with (good to have anyway)

JJ/Mullard/Tesla - darker sounding tubes
Tung Sol/Sino/Shuguang - brighter sounding tubes
NOS JAN Phillips 5751 - great tube for V1 or Phase Inverter slot

www.dougstubes.com
www.thevalvequeen.com
www.thetubestore.com
www.tubedepot.com
www.eurotubes.com (not in europe)
www.hotroxuk.com (in europe)

My order of preference. Doug is great. Give him a shout. Tell him what you want tone wise and he'll put together a package for you and ship quickly.

v.... +311 Peter. One time he sent me an email on a Friday night at 9pm within an hour of sending in my order in and I had my tubes on Monday. In addition to the 5751 he also recommended a Penta Labs 9th gen.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 21, 2011,
Just buy one for now and try it in different positions. That will tell you which ones are failing. It is likely to be just one or two that need changing. You should always have a spare set of power tubes and at least one spare preamp tube. Then if you are suspicious of a problem with tubes it's a simple matter to test them by substitution.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
My order of preference. Doug is great. Give him a shout. Tell what you want tone wise and he'll put together a package for you and ship quickly.

+1 I went to Doug when I retubed my Mark IV and he provides excellent customer service.
Hi, I'm Peter