Hello,

Right now I have a "cheap" Planet Waves Cable, but today I was talking to an experienced (much more so than myself, at least) player and he recommended that I get an expensive Monster guitar cable , because they sound better and last longer, according to him.

Unfortunately I didn't get to compare how the cables sounded, as he refused to use a "cheap" cable because he feared that it would be damaging to his amp, and I didn't have my gear with me.

Does it really matter that much what brand of cable you buy? What do you guys use?
Last edited by xally at Sep 15, 2011,
Quote by xally
Hello,

Right now I have a "cheap" Planet Waves Cable, but today I was talking to an experienced (much more so than myself, at least) player and he recommended that I get an expensive Monster guitar cable, because they sound better and last longer, according to him.

Unfortunately I didn't get to compare how the cables sounded, as he refused to use a "cheap" cable because he feared that it would be damaging to his amp, and I didn't have my gear with me.

Does it really matter that much what brand of cable you buy? What do you guys use?

The expensive Monster cables are also nice because they have a lifetime warranty. If it breaks, take it back and get another one. Can't beat that.

But yes, it makes a difference. Although it a cheap cable won't damage an amp unless it's crackling at very loud volumes.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Quote by greeny23
a good cable will add a lot to tone. i personally think patch leads and a guitar lead are about 38% of your tone.

look into this-
http://www.alessandro-products.com/cables-inst.html

the instrument pro will help tone out of sight.

lol, for $1,500.

And yes, better cables will give you better tone. I pulled out my old peavy xcon cable and compared it to my planet waves cable and i noticed a brighter tone with the peavy.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Not according to Nuno Bettencourt.
If your parents never had children, chances are, you wont either.

Member #2 of Kerry/Edwards fanclub
Yes...more expensive cables are better cos they have more shielding then most cheap cables...But Monster cables are nothing special and only give you headache at checkout
The best part of monster cables is description on their site...I mean the one about "multiple time correct" I laugh at first time when I read it like hell.
If someone belive it ...well...ask any electronic is it possible to do

If you want very good cable go to your nearest electric shop and buy cable with triple shielding and gold jacks (if you want) and you will have your monster cable.
Monster cables are crap for how much they charge for them.

Cables don't impact tone that much, IMO. The length of the cable will have more of an affect than the brand/quality. I swear by Live Wire cables, because I've had amazing experiences with them (been using and abusing the same Live Wire cables for about 5 years now, and they still haven't died on me). On top of that, they have lifetime warranties.

I might switch to Planet Waves though. I like their circuit breaker concept.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The main thing is that no cable can make audio sound better, but cheaper cables can make it sound worse due to bad shielding and such.
Quote by Aquaman788
The main thing is that no cable can make audio sound better, but cheaper cables can make it sound worse due to bad shielding and such.
^ This, 1000x this.

As long as you don't buy a bad crappy cable, you're going to get your full tone. If you get a 1$ piece of poop cable with no shielding and bad wiring, it'll sound bad. A good cable won't make you sound BETTER, just normal.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Quality of instrument cables will make more difference to your tone than the quality of your guitar strap.

But yes, a better quality cable will sound better and last longer than the one you got with your guitar/amp starter kit.
Personally? I go by durability first. Yeah, some of them can inhibit your tone, but IMO thats mostly the really low-level cheap cables that break after a week anyways. Does not having all Mogami or Alessandro ($2000 for a cable? You have to be kidding me) make my tone suffer? Maybe, but I'm happy with my tone and a million different things can alter it. Too much hassle to worry about it, you know?
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
i know somebody is going to flame over this, as it has been brought up in this thread.

i use monster rock cables. i probably own 12-16 21 footers, six patch cables, and probably 2-4 12 footers.

and for speaker cables i have 6 six footers

i won a bunch at a contest back at sam ash a while ago (only reason i have so many) i also run pedals through a lot of effects loops.

they were just $25 on MF on price cuts and i just picked up four more which came today.

i use them for three reasons

1. durability. i have had one die in 8 years. i have only had one fail, go to a local small shop hands me a new cable in packaging, same length and everything right accross the counter.

2. ease of replacement. what store doesn't carry monster. try that with moogami, maybe 25% of the stores around here do, but i cant speak for you all.

3. they sound good to me. now are they exactly transparent? no. nothing is. do they color more tone than the average $50-$60 cable? possibly, but i think there would be a thousand things that would make a bigger difference. i would be willing to bet that a buffer of a single pedal vs true bypass pedal would make a much difference than a monster cable.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i know somebody is going to flame over this, as it has been brought up in this thread.

i use monster rock cables. i probably own 12-16 21 footers, six patch cables, and probably 2-4 12 footers.

and for speaker cables i have 6 six footers

i won a bunch at a contest back at sam ash a while ago (only reason i have so many) i also run pedals through a lot of effects loops.

they were just $25 on MF on price cuts and i just picked up four more which came today.

i use them for three reasons

1. durability. i have had one die in 8 years. i have only had one fail, go to a local small shop hands me a new cable in packaging, same length and everything right accross the counter.

2. ease of replacement. what store doesn't carry monster. try that with moogami, maybe 25% of the stores around here do, but i cant speak for you all.

3. they sound good to me. now are they exactly transparent? no. nothing is. do they color more tone than the average $50-$60 cable? possibly, but i think there would be a thousand things that would make a bigger difference. i would be willing to bet that a buffer of a single pedal vs true bypass pedal would make a much difference than a monster cable.

Pfft, don't feel any shame. If I won any in a contest, or had the money, I'd be all over them. Never having to buy a cable ever again? Hard to argue with that.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
the better cables u have, the less interference it has on your sound from your amp to your cab. they dont improve tone they just get less in the way

thats how i see it
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Crappy ones tend to rob you of some top end, they also don't last as long. But there are good ones that aren't too expensive as well. I bought a big roll of bare Planet Waves cable insanely cheap on ebay, like 250 ft for $40 . I just use whatever nice plugs take my fancy at the electronics shop. I make what I need and a few spares. If I need a specific length (which is handy with a rack) it's no big deal. I just cut what I need and stick a couple of plugs on it.
It seems to be fairly well built. It has a foil layer between braid and dielectric. The braid is substantial; woven, not twisted but still, seems ok. Decent inner conductor. I assume it's the same cable they use in their made up cables and their plugs look pretty good. That's about all you can ask for.
Cables with lifetime warrantys? Woohoo.
I have no idea what their premade cables have in the way of warranty. Lifetime too iirc. Somebody will correct me.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 16, 2011,
I prefer either cheap good cable like the Planet Waves Cath mentioned or even Mogami. You can buy the rolls pretty damn cheap per foot and make your own cables with as good as or better quality as Monster for cheaper. I found a 150ft roll of Mogami instrument cable for $.63 per foot. Then use some good quality jacks and solder it together. If it ever starts shorting out I will resolder it or cut an inch and solder it so its almost like a lifetime warrenty.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Thanks for the feedback; I'll probably grab either a Monster cable, the Planet Waves circuit breaker, or buy a roll and make my own.

Is the Monster warranty really as easy as just taking it to a store and exchanging it for a new one? And is that only at Guitar Center or is it anywhere that carries Monster cables?
^ That's anywhere that carries Monster. Planet Waves has the same warranty btw, even on the low end cables.
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
bullet cables yo.

actually, with their new pedalboard kit, they are much better than the competition to be honest.
Quote by xally
Thanks for the feedback; I'll probably grab either a Monster cable, the Planet Waves circuit breaker, or buy a roll and make my own.

Is the Monster warranty really as easy as just taking it to a store and exchanging it for a new one? And is that only at Guitar Center or is it anywhere that carries Monster cables?

yes. i did it in a different store than i bought the origional in a different state. i never filled warranty or any of that BS out and got a new one right away. took maybe 5 minutes until i was out the door.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
i use canare gs-6 cables with neutrik plugs. it works very well, sold about 75 cents a foot i think. u can make excellent quality 20ft cables for 20 bucks.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by mrc99
cheap cable can damage your equipment and sound

Not disagreeing because I honestly don't know, but how?
A good quality cable doesn't 'add' to your tone. It delivers the tone your guitar produces faithfully to your amp. If you use cheap quality cable, you're robbing yourself of tone by the time the signal gets to the amp that your guitar otherwise might be producing.

Also, good shielded cable eliminates another link in the noise/hum chain. Just as you can shield your guitar electronics and pickups to mitigate static noise and hum, a badly shielded cable will pick up stray hum and noise.

So.....don't skimp on your cable! Get the good stuff.
It matters, but Not as much as you really think, there's absolutly like no change in tone or clarity when I switch my leads. It's good to get a good one, but Satan will be ice skating to work the day I blow $300+ on an "amazing cable."
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss