I'm in the market for a new bass. The last one I had (Geddy Lee sig) was absolutely amazing but I traded it for a guitar amp. While I don't regret that decision, I am starting to miss having a bass around. I'm also getting into recording my work a bit more and can't stand playing bass on a keyboard.

At the moment my budget is $300-$400ish but if y'all talk me into it, I can save up a little more. I play mostly alternative and softer rock and some country. I'll touch on the metal side a bit, but nothing too terribly heavy. Basically I want something I can lay down some sick grooves with...

My local used music store has a Yamaha RBX374 that I have my eye on, but I know very little about them and I didn't have time today to try it out. I'm also thinking about saving a little more and getting an Ibanez SR500/SR700. My problem is I want to spend as little money as possible as there's lots of recording gear I also would like to buy, but I want a good sounding and good quality bass. Is the Yamaha decent? Or should I save up more and get the Ibanez?

Before anyone suggests it, I'm not a fan of Squires, and not a P bass guy. A Jazz bass would be ok, but from what I understand, I can get more quality for the money looking elsewhere.

Thanks for the help.
Yamaha basses are pretty good, but I would definitely save up for the Ibanez. I have an RBX250, and it's pretty good. Hope I helped.
Those Yamaha basses are great quality for the price, you can't really do wrong by buying one. Of course, the Ibanez SR are great instruments too.

SDpeaking of Jazz basses though, I know you said you don't hagfve an affinity ( ) for squiers, but have you tried the VM or CV series jazz basses by them? Great quality basses.
Saints walk the earth
They don't patrol the skies
They're the people right behind you
Riding tandem through the night
It's the comfort that's discovered
Through two sets of eyes
It's the hand that stills the other
That shakes like candlelight
Quote by sandyman323
I'm in the market for a new bass. The last one I had (Geddy Lee sig) was absolutely amazing but I traded it for a guitar amp.

It better be an awesome guitar amp.

At the moment my budget is $300-$400ish but if y'all talk me into it, I can save up a little more. I play mostly alternative and softer rock and some country. I'll touch on the metal side a bit, but nothing too terribly heavy. Basically I want something I can lay down some sick grooves with...

My local used music store has a Yamaha RBX374 that I have my eye on, but I know very little about them and I didn't have time today to try it out. I'm also thinking about saving a little more and getting an Ibanez SR500/SR700. My problem is I want to spend as little money as possible as there's lots of recording gear I also would like to buy, but I want a good sounding and good quality bass. Is the Yamaha decent? Or should I save up more and get the Ibanez?

I'm not a fan of the RBX line. However, comperable in price is the Yamaha BB series, which i AM a huge fan of. If you're a Jazz guy though, the SR line may be a better bet, as their neck profile is closer to a jazz.

Before anyone suggests it, I'm not a fan of Squires, and not a P bass guy. A Jazz bass would be ok, but from what I understand, I can get more quality for the money looking elsewhere.

Broaden your horizons dude. Look past the name on the headstock.

As was mentioned, the CV and VM lines are great. I think the CV 60's RI Jazz is exactly what you need.

Also, from my own experience... whenever i record, i preffer passive basses... which the Yamaha and Ibanez are not. So again... look at the Squierses.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
I think that Yamaha kicks ass, personally. Big fan of that one. If it's a good price and it feels good then I'd go for it.
I've got a Yamaha RBX-375, absolutely love it. Plays great and it's really well built, could use it as a weapon over and over again. Only complaint is that the finish does come off a little easily.
Thanks for the help guys. Turns out that used Yamaha was an RBX 774, not the 374 I was thinking it was. I ended up buying that as I wanted to put a chunk of money away in savings along with getting a bass.

So far I'm loving it. I like that the neck is a little bigger than my GL sig but still not too fat. Haven't really tested it too much tone wise besides through an amp in the store, but it sure sounded decent there so I'm confident that I'll be able to get some workable sounds out of it.