I have absolutely no knowledge about this so excuse my sweet ignorance. So I got this used Strat from a bandmate as a gift. But we were both curious as to the origin and if it has replaced pickups and such. The serial number is Z3149094, I searched in Fender.com/support and it says its from 2004. Is this any special year for Fender Strats in some way? And I see in pictures of 2004 Strats they have the white stock pickups, but this one has some black ones. When pickguard taken out for a minor repair I saw "SEM" behind each pickup. Didn't recognize those 3 letters. I also saw under the pickups right in the wood some marks that read American Standard.

Any Fenderheads out there that may help?
And yes shame on me for not knowing my Fender Lore
ill check on that one right now lol

*EDIT* Nop just starting on Z
Last edited by Windex1108 at Sep 15, 2011,
how many frets are on the neck?
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
if it clearly has 21 frets but is stamped "American Standard" in the body, it's a frankenstein. American Strats have a full 22 frets while foreign Strats have 21 frets.
there was a run of Highway One Strats that came with a white pickguard and black pickups around that time
I'm more concerned with the frets
From what I see, you have a 2004 Highway One American Stratocaster body and electronics, with a foreign neck. Check the back of the headstock and see if it says "Made In ____"
Made in 'Merica.. It actually says USA* Any news on those pickups? What does SEM mean?
Last edited by Windex1108 at Sep 15, 2011,
Lol ur good! I would have never found out that info! So the neck is from elsewhere and the body along with its pickups is from an American Highway One Series?
exactly! The neck is likely Mexican which is not a bad thing. The scale length of Fender Necks are the same for 21 fret and 22 fret necks. The 22 fret necks just stick out over the butt of the neck a bit. While your guitar is now all original, it is completely functional, and when set up correctly, still kicks ass!
where on the neck does it say that?
behind the headstock besides the serial number. In front of the headstock it says Fender Stratocaster and underneath Synchronize Tremolo
That's a fake Fender neck if it's on the back of the head. American Fenders have Made in the U.S.A. right on the front. It's a fake neck, but if it plays well, who is to bitch?
Well thats a bummer... But yeah it really plays great i guess! Thanks for the help. Really helpful stuff!
Anytime! But do not be bummed with a frankenstien Fender, I own several that I frankenstiened myself and I love them! I'm currently working on a hot rod Jaguar!
Dude, I have 11 guitars. Only 2 are straight stock, the rest are frankensteins
The thing with this neck on this Strat is that its sort of peeling like this clear coat of whatever. Thats what bums me out.