Page 1 of 4
Does anybody else notice when somebody says this phrase, you can tell they have little-to-no idea about music? And what's worse is that when you continue the conversation slightly, you find that they actually have pretty narrow tastes dealing with the more popular bands of a very small range of genres.

Yes, you don't need to say it, I'm a pretentious music snob (deal with it), but when somebody asks me what music I listen to, I can never think of a satisfactory answer, I'll stammer out some general genres or bands, but I don't want to say "everything", because that's not true, I can name plenty of things I don't listen to.

It's a pet peeve of mine, and I know it's pissy, but why do people do this? Is it just for an easy answer to the question (even if it's a wrong one)? Fear of judgement by pretentious music snobs such as myself? Do these people really believe what they say due to little experience with the vast quantity of music out there?

Help me understand pit.
Well I actually will listen to anything, and I will probably like it. I say "everything" because I can't name bands that I listen to because I just listen to w/e I feel like at the time. I don't have a favorite artist of a genre or w/e, so it's better to just say "everything".
It's probably just an easy, throwaway answer.
Crazier than a fish with titties.
Quote by Lord_Hondros
That was a great troll, and it made me laugh. Which then made me cause I was having a good time being scared shitless

Quote by behind_you
Grandfather clocks and jizz.
i WILL listen to anything...that doesn't mean i'll like everything.

i keep an open mind about music and give all music a chance. that's what i mean and what should be meant when someone says "i'll listen to anything"
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
I think when they say this, they mean anything "mainstream". I doubt anyone who says this would listen to sunno))) or experimental albums that consist solely of growls and trash cans being hit.
Anything really. The way i see it is that I like all music, im just not ready for some at the current moment. I listen to songs now that i once heard and i thought were utter crap. I give anything a chance really.

And OT yeah i know alotta people who say that but then are pretty close minded.
Quote by Portuguese_boy
I really do only listen to anything that is good to my ears.

See, that's fine, and you could follow this up with some things that do sound good to your ears so I get an understanding of what you like specifically.

My point is, these people say "everything" as if listening to Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold, Pink Floyd, Foo Fighters, Miles Davis and Taylor Swift is satisfying that criteria, and rarely see out of this sphere that they're in.

Edit:

Quote by Waterboy799

i keep an open mind about music and give all music a chance. that's what i mean and what should be meant when someone says "i'll listen to anything"

Yeah, I get that, but usually these people will NOT listen to anything and are actually really closed minded about music.
Last edited by Deplorable at Sep 15, 2011,
That's what I say cuz I hate the "What kind of music do you like?" question.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I'll summarize the general sentiment regarding this subject: who cares.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
TLR beside the first line.
I HATE it when people say that and are actually REALLY narrow minded about music.
D:<
NEW SIGNATURE!
Yeah, this phrase does grind my gears. It's a synonym for not paying enough attention to have favorites. So when somebody asks me, I tell 'em.
I've got the spirit, but lose the feeling.
i know what you mean. one of my friends has recently started a band, and when i asked what kind of music they play, their answer was "whatever we like". to me, that sounds like more of a "i dont know, we actually havnt DONE anything yet'.
Quote by darkstar2466
I'll summarize the general sentiment regarding this subject: who cares.

I do, obviously.

Quote by aeromakesmusic
TL;DR beside the first line.
I HATE it when people say that and are actually REALLY narrow minded about music.
D:<

It just makes conversation so difficult...
Maybe they don't want to waste their time naming artist, or maybe they just don't want to talk to you at all.
Because it's an easy answer, and they actually don't know much about music. They expect you to continue the conversation with a popular band.
Quote by TB!Guitar
Maybe they don't want to waste their time naming artist, or maybe they just don't want to talk to you at all.

It's possible but I don't think probable, usually this is in close knit discussions with friends at parties etc.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Because it's an easy answer, and they actually don't know much about music. They expect you to continue the conversation with a popular band.

I get that, but then it becomes:
"You like Pink Floyd?"
"no"
"Aphex Twin?"
"no"
"Black Sabbath"
"no"
"The Doors"
"no"
"WHAT DO YOU LIKE, JUST TELL ME DAMMIT"

Seems like a highly inefficient way to converse.
Quote by Waterboy799

This.

But, there are some people who actually WILL listen to anything. I met 1 guy in my group in university and he's pretty much like that.

Although I can honestly say, most of the people who say that lie.
Quote by Deplorable
I get that, but then it becomes:
"You like Pink Floyd?"
"no"
"Aphex Twin?"
"no"
"Black Sabbath"
"no"
"The Doors"
"no"
"WHAT DO YOU LIKE, JUST TELL ME DAMMIT"

Seems like a highly inefficient way to converse.

Ah. Yeah, that does tend to happen. Now that I think about it, I usually just avoid talking to people about music altogether because of that.
I used to say this a coupla years ago until I realised my music tastes only tend to range from blues to pop to rock to metal.
^That's pretty much what I've found too.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Ah. Yeah, that does tend to happen. Now that I think about it, I usually just avoid talking to people about music altogether because of that.

Yeah, I sort of retreat from the conversation unless there's someone who I can tel has a clue about music in general
Last edited by Deplorable at Sep 16, 2011,
That answer does slightly bother me. Especially when they consider liking a Beatles or Bob Marley or AC/DC or Metallica song or whatever in addition to their chart stuff to be "diverse". I'm not saying I'm incredibly diverse, but I definitely expand my taste a bit more.

I also hate getting asked that question. I usually just answer "stuff", because I honestly have no idea how to reply. If I start to name drop I'll go on forever making sure I don't forget anything, and I just don't care for genre naming either. Usually when I give that answer they ask if I'm into screamo and stuff, just as an assumption, and I hate getting asked that because I know what I'm thinking of and what they're thinking of are two different things
It means 'I listen to a lot of bands and I can't be bothered sitting here all night naming them just for you, leave me alone you annoying pretentious dickface'.
i know EXACTLY what you mean. Especially when it comes to finding people to play music with. I am proud to listen to the music I do and will stand up for the artists and their work. Sadly, I am surrounded by idiots or fellow skeptics who share none of the same ideals.

I find most people that deffer are either dodging that question or feel the need to conform in some mass social music arena. If the saying "music brings people together" is true then it left out the fact that not all music is worth listening too. The good thing about music is it doesn't matter how many people enjoy your songs, if one person likes it then it was worth it.

Personally, when looking for music, I A.) want to like the sound i'm hearing (duh) and B.) know that the musician is a true artist. The sad part is im so picky sometimes that even if they fit my criteria they just dont fit my criteria...

These "popular" bands had to start at some point right? They had to be that indie band that everybody looked past. But at what point in becoming popular do they sell themselves out to become that one band everybody failsafe's too? I mean F*** even Justin Bieber was a kid on youtube before the devil took his soul.
Quote by aeromakesmusic
TLR

Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
It could be, and I'm just throwing this out there, that they don't want to get into that conversation with an esteemed person such as yourself.
I get the feeling TS hears the sound of shitting when other people's music is played.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

My friend's lil bro said his taste was diverse cause he listens to pop music and underground music. I asked what underground bands he liked, he said Death Cab for Cutie
Quote by MakinLattes
It could be, and I'm just throwing this out there, that they don't want to get into that conversation with an esteemed person such as yourself.

It's a nice theory, though it fails on the grounds that I: a. did not ask the question and b. had never met these people before.

(this is in reference to yesterday, though there have been instances in my life where the above is not necessarily true, but similar results all the same).

Thanks for being a bit of a twat though.
Quote by element4433
That's what I say cuz I hate the "What kind of music do you like?" question.

Yeah I can never think of what to say when people ask me that. And I really will listen to anything at least once.
cat
Quote by guitarxo
Yeah I can never think of what to say when people ask me that. And I really will listen to anything at least once.

It's easier than trying to list exactly how broad the spectrum is, especially when most of the people who'd be asking me have never heard of Blackstar, Infected Mushroom, Noisia, Streetlight Manifesto, All That Remains (unless guitar hero), Immortal Technique, and Claudia Cazacu.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by Deplorable
Do these people really believe what they say due to little experience with the vast quantity of music out there?

This makes sense. The people that I've seen who say they listen to everything are usually the people that listen to everything... that they are told to like.
Quote by SteveHouse
I get the feeling TS hears the sound of shitting when other people's music is played.

Depends what it is, though I think you'd agree some Noise DOES sound like people shitting.

Quote by SteveHouse
It's easier than trying to list exactly how broad the spectrum is, especially when most of the people who'd be asking me have never heard of Blackstar, Infected Mushroom, Noisia, Streetlight Manifesto, All That Remains (unless guitar hero), Immortal Technique, and Claudia Cazacu.

I would have a much better conversation with you if you said this, really.

Quote by MakinLattes
Blood recognize blood.

Page 1 of 4