So I'm getting a new amp soon, and I need suggestions on what I should get. I really like the Orange Thunder 30, but I think I should look around a bit more before I get it. My budget is about $1k and under, and I play a wide range of music, but mostly rock and some metal stuff.

I want a tube amp, and this will be my first. I need something with good distortion channel, and nice cleans. I also plan on getting a few pedals, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Any suggestions?
A used Peavey XXX + a decent 2x12.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
i like the thunder 30, but if you get into a situation where you are unmic'd and you have to turn it up, the clean channel will loose some of its cleaness. lower wattage typically means less headroom. i am sure you wouldn't mind if you dont mind a little bit of dirt in your cleans, it may not be idea.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Of the rock and metal you play what kind of stuff do you play the most? What do you lean toward as far as crafting your own tone?

In my mind there are 4 basic types of amp tone

1.) American amp tone. Fender/Mesa/Peavey/etc. Typically use 6L6 power tubes. There are bands that fit in here.

2.) British amp tone. Marshall/Laney/Orange/etc. Typically use EL34'ish power tubes. There are bands that fit in here as well.

3. ) German amp tone. ENGL/Diezel/Bogner/HnK. Use all kinds of power tubes and have a unique tone of their own. There are bands that fit in here too.

4.) Pedal amp tone and everything else

not really sure if that helps but we'll see. There are obviously lots of exceptions. I'm guessing you prefer a British tone?

What do you like about Orange/Thunder 30?
The rock and metal I play ranges from Say Anything an Taking Back Sunday to Bring me the Horizon and Asking Alexandria. I've been noticing a shows that a bunch of bands I like have been using Orange so I checked them out and they seem pretty awesome. I liked the Thunder 30 because its pretty loud for 30 watts, and its got plenty of gain. I also like the idea of being able to cut it to half power so I don't piss my parents off so much.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Of the rock and metal you play what kind of stuff do you play the most? What do you lean toward as far as crafting your own tone?

In my mind there are 4 basic types of amp tone

1.) American amp tone. Fender/Mesa/Peavey/etc. Typically use 6L6 power tubes. There are bands that fit in here.

2.) British amp tone. Marshall/Laney/Orange/etc. Typically use EL34'ish power tubes. There are bands that fit in here as well.

3. ) German amp tone. ENGL/Diezel/Bogner/HnK. Use all kinds of power tubes and have a unique tone of their own. There are bands that fit in here too.

4.) Pedal amp tone and everything else

not really sure if that helps but we'll see. There are obviously lots of exceptions. I'm guessing you prefer a British tone?

What do you like about Orange/Thunder 30?

I thought Bogner was a USA amp company last I checked
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ I said tone not 'Made In _____'

Bogners have what most would consider a German tone. Most would say it is a German amp despite where it ships from. Reinhold was born in Germany. I have some German heritage. Gotta keep it real...

Stryker - the Thunder 30 should work well. I really like just about every Orange amp I've played.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ I said tone not 'Made In _____'

Bogners have what most would consider a German tone. Most would say it is a German amp despite where it ships from. Reinhold was born in Germany. I have some German heritage. Gotta keep it real...

Stryker - the Thunder 30 should work well. I really like just about every Orange amp I've played.

actually there's really nothing about bogner that would make it german.

he didn't even start producing any amps until he was in LA.

it's more of a soldano sound.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
^ you might be right Min. I see them lumped together with German amps so often I don't even think twice. It doesn't help that on their web site it says that Reinhold started making amps in Germany before he came to the US

that said - I actually thought he was more after the British Marshall tone more than anything.

Maybe in the future I'll replace Bogner with Framus or something when trying to give examples of German engineered or German sounding amps.

Admittedly, I do not know much about the circuit differences.