There's been some debate among me and my friends, sparked by something Van Hammersmith said. Sometimes in a band even though there are 4 or 5 members, there is usually one or two people who are the driving force behind it all. They may not be the singer or the frontman or the lead guitarist, or even the person who started it. Its not to say that each member of the band doesn't give it their all, but with some bands its just obvious "who's band" it is.

For example to, get the discussion going:

Megadeth is Dave Mustaine's band, not just because he was the most consistent member (Dave Ellefson was there for the longest time too), but because its him who was writing the music, getting the band in people's faces, booking their first shows. The band is him expressing himself above all the other members.

Another example in the Thrash genre. Imo. Metallica is Lars and James' band. James may be the frontman, but it is both him and Lars that drive the band internally. Even though Kirk's leads and solos certainly are a HUGE part of their sound, in my opinion it is Lars and James that make Metallica what it is.

A few more examples without explanation (all from my own opinion):
As I Lay Dying is Tim Lambesis' band
Mutiny Within is Andrew Jacobs' band (which is cool, cuz he's just the bassist)
Machine Head is Robb Flynn's band
Slayer is Kerry King's and Jeff Hanneman's band
Children of Bodom is Alexi Laiho and Roope Latvala's band
Racer X is Paul Gilbert's band

Disclaimer: Some bands like Rush and The Beatles, are examples of bands were I think it really is just "everyone's band".
Last edited by Roran109 at Sep 16, 2011,
Any band that would not sound the same if any one member left is a band that belongs equally to everyone in it.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Smashing Pumpkins = Billy Corgan
Paramore = Hayley Williams
Black Flag = Greg Ginn
Black Sabbath = Tony Iommi
Public Image Ltd. = John Lydon
D.O.A. = Joey Shithead
Nirvana = Kurt Cobain
Dinosaur Jr. = J Mascis (sort of)
Quote by IommiPage
Black Flag = Greg Ginn
D.O.A. = Joey Shithead
Nirvana = Kurt Cobain

Of all the bands you mentioned, I think I disagree with Black Sabbath. I think Black Sabbath was Tony's and Ozzy's band. Most of the Black Sabbath we know (at least I know and love) is with Ozzy.
I think the band belongs to its members and not 1 person. just because 1 person might have a few riffs, it takes a drummer,bassest,singer and guitarist to arange the music and make it what it is.

Yes bands like Megadeth where Dave is the only original member left, get the its his band. But in all reality Dave couldn't do that music by himself on stage. So in all hopnesty hes just the front man of Megadeath.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by IommiPage
Black Flag = Greg Ginn
D.O.A. = Joey Shithead
Nirvana = Kurt Cobain

Nirvana I would have to disagree with. Krist was the guy who basically made that band go. Kurt wrote most of the music (and all of the lyrics) but Kurt was not a businessman, Krist handled that, Krist booked shows early on, and before they got to be famous Krist would do most of the talking in interviews. I would definitely say Kurt and Krist's band.
Last edited by iwannabesedated at Sep 26, 2011,
Iron Maiden = Steve Harris's band.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud