Hey guys,
Just wondering, how much do you get for trading in a guitar at GC or Sam Ash?
Justifiable amount or would I be better off selling it myself?
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
I would sell it yourself, or do it at a private business.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
it will range from 70%-50% of what they will sell it for.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
it will range from 70%-50% of what they will sell it for.

And that's what they sell it for used. So if you traded in let's say a $600 Ibanez, they sell it used for $400-$450, you would get probably $250 max.

You can sell it privately for the GC price, if you have patience.
yup. ebay/craigslist/thread
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
One thing to consider though, at GC you always get 10% off an item when you sell them something (I think they're running a deal right now for 15% off). I don't know if we fudge the system because they know use there, but me and a buddy will always grab a pedal or something else small to trade in when we're making a big purchase (For instance, my friend had a pedal that goes for $50 brand new. He traded it in, got $15 bucks for it. But, he was buying a new bass amp for $500. So, with the 15% discount, he ended up "getting" $90 for the pedal ($15, plus $75 discounted off the price of the amp).

That was a massive wall of text. I hope it makes sense.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
i just traded in a fender strat deluxe against custom shop strat.

i got about 80% of what i paid for the deluxe 3 years ago, which i thought was not bad. i see that the store is now selling the deluxe at more than i paid for it (new )originally!
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by dr_john
i just traded in a fender strat deluxe against custom shop strat.

i got about 80% of what i paid for the deluxe 3 years ago, which i thought was not bad. i see that the store is now selling the deluxe at more than i paid for it (new )originally!

yea but you got the remember the resale value for those custom shops only go up with time
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
You'll always make more selling privately than trading in. It will take more time though, so if you've got a serious case of I want it NOW, then do the trade.
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
Quote by EspTro
yea but you got the remember the resale value for those custom shops only go up with time

yes, sure, i agree. i'm not complaining at all about the deal i got, i was just a little surprised that a deluxe can increase in potential value after only 3 years. it cost me £1050, i got £800 px against the custom shop, and they are (trying to) sell it on for £1200. that's business, they have a living to make and overheads to cover etc, good luck to them, i'm happy with the deal. i saw similar deluxe strats struggling to make less than £800 on ebay, and that's before selling fees and paypal charges.

as for the custom shop, i've no doubt that will probably do even better with time.

what am i trying to say - don't rule out trading in, i'm sure it was the best deal in my case.

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
60% of market value is what you should reasonably expect from Sam Ash. They generally undercut market prices a little, but not too much (when they put it on the floor).

Always better selling yourself.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex