So I was just curious to see what google had to say about overrated guitarists and apparently everyone likes to jump on people like Vai, or Petrucci, or Zakk Wylde, or Van Halen because they are repetitive in their techniques. I think it's a stupid reason to call someone overrated since what these guys play is really pretty tough and can't just be done by any idiot that picks up a guitar. I'll admit that Zakk Wylde does pound out a lot of pinch harmonics, but the difficulty of some of the solos that he does and the chicken pickin he does, that does require a lot of skill. IDK i just decided to rant and give other people a chance to rant so go for it guys.
Last edited by z28dylan at Sep 16, 2011,
It really bugs me when people don't think A7X are one of the greatest bands out there right now. I have no idea how you could hate on Synystyry Gates. He's a virtuoso.
Overrated doesn't mean bad.
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017

And enviers gonna envy. Simple as that. People think they're better, so should be just as if not more famous, popular, widely-liked, or rich as the guitarist in-question. They fail to realize that, amongst a myriad of other things, there's more to being a popular artist than just skill. Lots more.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Guitar is overrated, therefore all guitarists are overrated

-leaves thread-
Proud follower of Åkerfeldtism

P S T F I N D E R

Quote by FFTLxx
Uhh there was this guy who didn't get any of the questions in some exam so he put 2 pencils in his nose and headbutted the desk.. and died.. that's pretty stupid.

How many guitarists does it take to change a light bulb?

100. 1 to change the bulb, and at least 99 to say how much better they could have changed it.
Yeah, people pound of Wylde for his pinch harmonics, but no one ever pounds on Billy Gibbons.
Quote by denfilade
For a moment I thought velcro shoes were ones with the whole bottom made of velcro

She could walk up your pubes with those

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
and 07'ers will always be well-respected members of UG society.
Oh it's the "overrated" thing again. Well we've never had this discussion before.
Overrated is a term I f*cking hate..

It basically means "band I'm jealous of because they are more famous than bands I like"..

Even though some bands do seem to receive more love than they should because they are a "thing" for the time being..
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Quote by smb
Well we've never had this discussion before.

this. if it wasn't for trailblazers like TS and their truly avant garde style of thinking, such pressing matters as this would never be brought to the attention of the masses of the pit.

TS, you are a hero to all!
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
the reason is cos steve vai songs are really boring, guitar speed is about as relevant to making good music as toenail length
Quote by ErikLensherr
It's threads like this that separate grammar Nazis from only mildly anti-Semitic grammar conservatives.
Quote by blake1221
It really bugs me when people don't think A7X are one of the greatest bands out there right now. I have no idea how you could hate on Synystyry Gates. He's a virtuoso.

sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by L42yB
How many guitarists does it take to change a light bulb?

100. 1 to change the bulb, and at least 99 to say how much better they could have changed it.

Nice
You are part of the rebel alliance, and a traitor.

It's only "overated" because you don't like it.
Overated is such misused word.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Quote by bry0n
Yeah, people pound of Wylde for his pinch harmonics, but no one ever pounds on Billy Gibbons.

That's because Billy's songs are a lot sexier and he dresses cooler.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Putrefaction
Guitar is overrated, therefore all guitarists are overrated

-leaves thread-

Then why are you here?
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Quote by StewieSwan
Overrated doesn't mean bad.

This, people seem to use overrated as a fancy way of saying "they suck". I find it funny when people get confused when I say I like something and say it's overrated at the same time.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by ma_tt11
Then why are you here?

He's probably a bassist. They're all jealous because guitarists have more strings than they do.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by teh_goon
the reason is cos steve vai songs are really boring, guitar speed is about as relevant to making good music as toenail length

You've never really listened to a lot of Vai, have you?
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
To me, overrated is a term that is applied to someone who is considered great, just because they're popular. Like Ben Affleck - popular, but not a very good actor. Paris Hilton - popular for being a famous slut.

Some guitarists that imo are in this category would be Kirk Hammett & John Mayer. I'm not implying that they're completely without talent, but they're definitely not groundbreaking or totally original.
I'd like to help, but not as much as I'd like not to.

"To be successful, you need to be a good musician. To be popular, you just need to be fashionable" - Ritchie Blackmore
Quote by blake1221

I throw myself into the sea,
Release the wave,
Let it wash over me
To face the fears, I once believed
Tears of the Dragon, for you, and for me...
Quote by z28dylan
So I was just curious to see what google had to say about overrated guitarists and apparently everyone likes to jump on people like Vai, or Petrucci, or Zakk Wylde, or Van Halen because they are repetitive in their techniques. I think it's a stupid reason to call someone overrated since what these guys play is really pretty tough and can't just be done by any idiot that picks up a guitar. I'll admit that Zakk Wylde does pound out a lot of pinch harmonics, but the difficulty of some of the solos that he does and the chicken pickin he does, that does require a lot of skill. IDK i just decided to rant and give other people a chance to rant so go for it guys.

I don't care for Vai or Petrucci's music. Van Halen / ZW are awesome. ZW is an all around great player if you listen to his stuff in Pride N' Glory it's awesome ; as well as his acoustic stuff. He digs into his pinch harmonics a lot but I don't know about over-rated. I mean what does "over-rated" even constitute now-a-days?

I would says Slash ( who is actually my favorite guitarist ) is over-rated ; but why? Because of the legions of fans he has who think he's "teh bezt ever". Is that his fault? Eh. Over-rated/Under-rated is such a stupid term , much like "sell-out" people just use it as a blanket term on why they don't like something.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
That's because Billy's songs are a lot sexier and he dresses cooler.

there are many girls that dig the biker look, but every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
I would says Slash ( who is actually my favorite guitarist ) is over-rated ; but why? Because of the legions of fans he has who think he's "teh bezt ever". Is that his fault? Eh. Over-rated/Under-rated is such a stupid term , much like "sell-out" people just use it as a blanket term on why they don't like something.

Slash is my favourite too, along with Billy Duffy. Even so, I totally agree with you about the people who say he's "teh bezt ever" - if I was discussing the best technical guitarists I wouldn't mention either of them. Favourite, yes. Best, no.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud