Ive just finished replacing my 1 and 2 strings into my electric guitar, tuned it up, and then when i was finished my bass strings go out of tune. i set them up too, and then my high strings went out of tune, and so on a couple of times till it all got fixed up. Then ive noticed my bridge, which usually is parallell to the guitar body, was really high(pulled to the direction of the neck rather than near the body.)
I have an Ibanez GRG170DX, and as far as i can tell this as never happened to my before. I am too afriad to tinker any further with the strings so i wont blow up my guitar.

What should i do?
You've unbalanced the tremolo. Try tightening the screws on the trem claw in the back of the guitar, or using lighter strings next time.
did you buy the same gauge strings?

also because the other strings are older they'd be more "stretched" than the new ones, it's always best to replace ALL the strings rather than 2, 3, 4 or 6. if you're only replacing one string then you might get away with it but otherwise i'd suggest you change all your strings.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
I've had the same problem when I switched from 0.09-... to 0.10-... strings. It's actually not a big deal, the only problem could be that your intonation gets worse the longer your bridge is crooked. I just put another trem-spring in and fixed the intonation, now everything's fine again.
Uhh everone is saying something else...

Whats to "Stretch" the strings? arent they already streched?
It isn't about the stretching of the strings. That would not cause u to have tuning problems like tuning the bass strings causing the high strings to go out of tune. New strings(unstretched) rather go out of tune gradually as u play and the strings stretch properly.

What is going on is your movable bridge otherwise known as tremolo bridge. There are a few types of tremolo bridges, eg. my fender strat has a vintage synchronised tremolo. there are springs connected to the movable bridge which in turn hold your strings. as you tighten 1 string, the force on the spring is increased and your bridge will adjust accordingly. This is why u may find other strings going off tune after u tune a string.

This kind of bridge system makes tuning quite troublesome as u need to keep tuning the strings till u can get a balance. Like tune the 6th string, then 1st string, then 5th string, then back to the 6th string and 1st string, and so on.

If your bridge is raised too high, it either means there is an increased tension from the strings that your springs are not used to, or the screws on your bridge is loose. If you did not change the string gauge and brand of strings, it will probably mean the screws are loose.
Last edited by kaista at Sep 16, 2011,
You need to tighten the springs in the back. Your tremolo should not be floating, meaning it should only dive, not be able to pull up like a Floyd Rose.
Quote by W4RP1G
You need to tighten the springs in the back. Your tremolo should not be floating, meaning it should only dive, not be able to pull up like a Floyd Rose.

That's actually preference, I set my trems like that to float, not much mind you, just a little, so I could get at least a full step+ pull up, it kept my strings in tune better, it was on a squire, hardly ever went out of tune.

Just tighten the springs and it should go back to normal, remember to tune down your strings first though, then tune them again.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss