Can someone tell me why I shouldn't get one? I thought that it's clean tone was nice and would be suitable for running pedals (delay, overdrive, modulation, etc.) into it. They go for a rather low price when purchased used, and I'm very conscious of my budget.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
They're great amps for clean, their overdrive is a bit meh but with a good dist./overdrive on top of it, it sounds fantastic.

I plugged an MI Audio Tone Zone overdrive into it and sounded lovely.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
I have a HRD, into which I run a series of OD/Distortions (TS9, RAT II, Riot, Triple Wreck). The cleans are indeed great, and it handles the pedals really well, the distortions sound particularly immense when power tube saturation comes into play when the amp is cranked.
the deluxe is a great amp. the distortion is really good for blues but nothing more really. the cleans are awesome but be aware though: The amp is LOUD!!!!!1 it's not a bedroom amp at all! even with the volume on 1 it's really loud(and when you're only on 1 the tubes arent being pushed and it doesnt sound as good). so have that in mind before buying.
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
It has great cleans for its price, IMO, and it takes pedals great. I'm kinda disappointed at the drive channels, but that's not really what I got the amp for.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
the hrd and hot rod devilles are one of the best clean sounds you can come across today. dial in the amp right and it sounds amazing actually.

overdrive is nice too. its more bluesy in nature, but add a od on top of that, and you get really nice distortion.
Unless you need to play gigs unmiced I'd go with a Blues Junior. Cheaper, lighter, and surprisingly better sounding. It could handle small gigs fairly well, but not crystal clean.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I wouldn't say the blues junior was better sounding. But it does have it's merits
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
The HRDx III are a lot different than the older ones. Fender finally fixed the volume pot (volume on the old ones goes from silent to ear bleeding by 1 or 2) and the drive channel is a lot better now. It's still not a metal amp, but you can get some good rock tones out of it. I replaced the stock GT 6L6 tubes with JJ 6V6s and it sounds great to me.

Oh, wait... If you want great clean tones, don't go with 6V6s. My amp starts to break up on the clean channel at loud bedroom levels since I've replaced the tubes. Maybe JJ 6L6s to darken up the tone while keeping enough headroom for cleans.
Quote by agroban
The HRDx III are a lot different than the older ones. Fender finally fixed the volume pot (volume on the old ones goes from silent to ear bleeding by 1 or 2.

ah ok. my experience is with a II version.
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
Quote by drying out
I wouldn't say the blues junior was better sounding. But it does have it's merits

Yeah, I wouldn't say the BJ is a better amp than the HRD, they both have their purposes... But the BJ might suit you better. Both have great sparkling cleans, both have a good OD (HRD has the channel, BJ you crank) for blues/light rock. They both really sound similar, just you have the size/volume difference. I use a HRDeluxe, as my main amp, in my home. It is simply too loud for most applications, I can dial it in at a low volume and use it when my parents are home, but it does not sound nearly as good at that volume (it still sounds good, but not GREAT). I use a modded Champ600 or a Marshall Class5 MKII for low volume stuff at home, I used to have a Blues Junior that I should have never gotten rid of.
I have found the HRD II to have amazing cleans. Mine has the original tubes, but my amp tech did some light modifying and changed the speaker to a Jensen Neo. It sounds great now! I grabbed the extension cab for it to, changed the stock speaker to antother Jensen Neo. It's a fantastic addition, and adds tons of bass for gigs. It also makes the tubes breakup earlier. Overall, it's a great amp.
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

If you can find an old blackface Twin you'll get better cleans than a HRD but the HRD is pretty good. See what the used market has to offer in way of a BF. As well, a BF will increase in price over time and a HRD will depreciate for the forseeable future. You see guys score BF Fenders pretty cheap in the States here at times, certainly worth having a look around. You could get lucky and find somebody that doesn't know what he's got.
A Blackface Twin will wipe the floor with a HRD.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
sure, if you're gonna use it for cleans.

Though as cathbard says, if you're only going to use it for the cleans, you might be able to pick up a vintage fender or clone for a similar amount of money which would likely sound better.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd love to score a BF fender for a clean platform, but I'm really attracted to how good the cleans are on the HRD for the prices you can find them for. I was in a Guitar Center today and a guy had hooked up a Lovepedal Superlead and a Fulltone OCD and he was getting massive tones from the amp.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
If you are attracted to a HRD's cleans you're gonna want to marry a BF Twin.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
If you are attracted to a HRD's cleans you're gonna want to marry a BF Twin.

Having both, I have to say, the HRD does amazing things as far as price goes. My BF Twin has cleans that can't be mathed though. There's just something there i've never gotten from any other amp.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

A Blackface Twin's cleans are the cleans by which all other amps are judged.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I've been jamming on my modded HRD for the past hour. I think i need to record a clip really quickly.... no cleans though
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

Quote by kracdown
I've been jamming on my modded HRD for the past hour. I think i need to record a clip really quickly.... no cleans though

Please do and let me know what mods you have done to it.
I'll record some tomorrow. I don't know what was done to it besides a speaker swap (Jensen Neo)
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

Quote by Cathbard
A Blackface Twin's cleans are the cleans by which all other amps are judged.

what about the robben ford chirp, though?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?