Hey guys, I was checking out a Riffoftheweek video (Dave Weiner) and he was talking about chord inversions, and it really blew my mind and opens up so many possibilities.

Check it out here.

He starts off with an Fmin7 and is moving between a Cmin7 if I remember right and he's inverting the Fmin7 in a 1, 3, 5 sequence. (This sort of talk is not my forte, so I hope it makes sense)

So he worked out these inversions using the 1, 3, 5 from the Fmin scale. He worked these out as F, C, Ab and Eb. Now I have no idea how he got these. So in my "effort" I counted these when I played the Fmin scale. yknow, the basic minor scale everyone learns when they begin lead. (and i failed, i got a Bb from somewhere.

This is probably badly worded, but does anyone know what I mean? and what is the trick behind learning these? because I am foaming at the mouth over inverting loads of chords

thanks, gee.

*Oh, and I understand these are 7th chords, so does the sequence vary over major, minors, etc.

and please, keep it basic.
Here you go. This guy was asking about the same thing.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1475400

Post 8 onwards.
Last edited by mdc at Sep 16, 2011,
Thanks, that was informative. However can you or anyone explain these 1, 3, 5, 7 things?

Like, if in Fminor. Is 1 the note F, 3 the note Bb, 5 the note Eb? and so on?

The guy in the video found F, C, Ab and Eb?

I'm having trouble with this, i don't understand it. I'm not a big theory head, I play for fun but i would love to play these chords, i just need to know which notes are 1, 3, 5 7 etc... all that. please?

SUPER EDIT

Um, so i googled the minor scale. it's definitely different than the minor pentatonic.

i'm sorry for wasting the time of anyone who viewed the question.

Silly me, for not knowing the correct scale.

Thanks for the response anyway!
Last edited by Geeee at Sep 16, 2011,
Haha I doubt that was informative if you don't understand intervals, and the major scale. You need to learn these first.

Have a nose at this http://musictheoryblog.blogspot.com/2007/01/intervals.html
Last edited by mdc at Sep 16, 2011,