I'm sorta in the market for a new guitar, just because my old one has all sorts of fret buzz and crap i could never get rid of (it was 150 USD from guitar center).

The Ibanez ARZ400T is only 500 bucks and looks cool.

My problem is that all guitars look the same to me, just with different price tags.

What do you guys think of this one?
Quote by Chockomonkey
I'm sorta in the market for a new guitar, just because my old one has all sorts of fret buzz and crap i could never get rid of (it was 150 USD from guitar center).

The Ibanez ARZ400T is only 500 bucks and looks cool.

My problem is that all guitars look the same to me, just with different price tags.

What do you guys think of this one?

........get.................out...........

Buy it, block the trem, educate yourself about guitars, the end.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Well that's not helpful.

The point of what you bolded is that I don't know the difference between guitars in different price ranges. I could probably figure it out on my own if i had a ton of cash to blow on multiple guitars.

I do not. Hence my post!

Also, apparently the guitar in the OP was just released, so is it too much to ask for what people think about it? lol
Quote by Chockomonkey
Well that's not helpful.

The point of what you bolded is that I don't know the difference between guitars in different price ranges. I could probably figure it out on my own if i had a ton of cash to blow on multiple guitars.

I do not. Hence my post!

Also, apparently the guitar in the OP was just released, so is it too much to ask for what people think about it? lol

How is it not helpful, if you like it, get it. It's a good guitar, but the trem is fairly shit, just block it so you don't go out of tune as much. Also, You don't need to have a ton of cash to know that not all guitars are the same with different price tags, You don't need money to figure out differences in guitars, or specs, or hardware, etc.
ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Tango616
How is it not helpful, if you like it, get it. It's a good guitar, but the trem is fairly shit, just block it so you don't go out of tune as much. Also, You don't need to have a ton of cash to know that not all guitars are the same with different price tags, You don't need money to figure out differences in guitars, or specs, or hardware, etc.

Sure i can look at specs all day and think to myself, "okay so this guitar has X pickups, and this other one has Y" But i won't understand the practical differences without experience.

It's like knowing that X computer has an i3 processor and that y has a Phenom II..... ACTUALLY, that's a shit example--because you can find countless sites with benchmarks and comparisons... which leads me to ask, is there a guitar rating site? Like, to see which ones are the best and shit? Comparisons and stuff?

Like i said, i'm having difficulty understanding the practical differences in guitars with varying price ranges.

here's a specific question i can ask, based on your feedback above: why is that tremolo shit? What'd you use to judge its goodness?
Last edited by Chockomonkey at Sep 16, 2011,
Quote by Chockomonkey
Sure i can look at specs all day and think to myself, "okay so this guitar has X pickups, and this other one has Y" But i won't understand the practical differences without experience.

It's like knowing that X computer has an i3 processor and that y has a Phenom II..... ACTUALLY, that's a shit example--because you can find countless sites with benchmarks and comparisons... which leads me to ask, is there a guitar rating site? Like, to see which ones are the best and shit? Comparisons and stuff?

Like i said, i'm having difficulty understanding the practical differences in guitars with varying price ranges.

here's a specific question i can ask, based on your feedback above: why is that tremolo shit?

Well there is no like..."best" guitar, there are certainly better ones for certain genres, certain specs, high end guitars tend to have better specs, but don't be fooled, Higher price doesn't always mean a better guitar. The pickups might be sort of Meh, but better than most stock, so you should be happy with them, the tremolo (edge III) has a bad wrap because it's made from cheap metal, and if you use the tremolo a lot then it will wear out qucikly and won't hold tune. It's a low end trem.
A high end trem would be something like, a Floyd Rose Original, or a Schaller.

There are ratings, but those are fairly subjective same with reviews, you can look at reviews on this site, but if the guitar is fairly new, I'm not sure how many reviews there will be, check musicians friend for reviews on that paticular guitar, or attempt to find one just by using google and see what people have to say about the guitar being good or bad, or what they would change, etc etc.
ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Chockomonkey

here's a specific question i can ask, based on your feedback above: why is that tremolo shit? What'd you use to judge its goodness?

well its really personal preference you do need to educate yourself though like what makes a guitar good such as pickups, trems, wiring and such but your best bet is to educate yourself and go test out some guitars and the fact that you know THIS much about guitars makes me skeptical to what amp you have which is quite a big different?
also what music do you play? because if you play like thrash metal the EMG H4A wont be very good for you and no offense but reallly you wanna teach your self about this stuff before thinking about buying a $500 guitar and for that money you can probbably get a better guitar also but by all means buy it if you like it
Fender KXR 100

a keyboard amp, so yea--it's a ghetto setup already. I got a POD HD300 to plug into it tho, and asside from making too much scraping noise from the horn-like speaker, it sounds good i think.

I've been playing Metallica, Megadeth, and Pantera lately. Pantera uses a lot of lower tuning, which is what caught my eye about this one, as they mention it handles that well.

Y'all don't seem thrilled about this new one, is there another you'd recommend? I'm just tired of my shitty guitar. I think this is it: yea but i remember paying only 150 for mine from guitar center, so maybe it was a shittier one.

My guess is, any guitar will feel like a huge upgrade.
Last edited by Chockomonkey at Sep 16, 2011,
Well he if he doesn't know about the difference in guitars, I doubt he's really going to know the difference between pickups, The EMG's H series as they maybe, will be fine for him.

I say go for the guitar though, just be sure to get a good amp too, amp is always more important than guitar, it's the majority of your tone.
ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Tango616
Well he if he doesn't know about the difference in guitars, I doubt he's really going to know the difference between pickups, The EMG's H series as they maybe, will be fine for him.

I say go for the guitar though, just be sure to get a good amp too, amp is always more important than guitar, it's the majority of your tone.

:L Yeh i suppose but to be fair for $500 he could probably get a better guitar but hes not me so if he likes it granted he should get it but i just think there are much better guitars for $500
Quote by Chockomonkey
Fender KXR 100

a keyboard amp, so yea--it's a ghetto setup already. I got a POD HD300 to plug into it tho, and asside from making too much scraping noise from the horn-like speaker, it sounds good i think.

I've been playing Metallica, Megadeth, and Pantera lately. Pantera uses a lot of lower tuning, which is what caught my eye about this one, as they mention it handles that well.

Y'all don't seem thrilled about this new one, is there another you'd recommend? I'm just tired of my shitty guitar. I think this is it: yea but i remember paying only 150 for mine from guitar center, so maybe it was a shittier one.

My guess is, any guitar will feel like a huge upgrade.

Yeh good amp is a peavey vypr that is something you should consider and any guitar that suits you is the one you should get just it has a shitty tremelo and not that you might know what im talking about but it has EMG H4 and i prefer H2 for metal but yeh go to guitar centre and get testing on some ESP, Jackson, Ibanez (< brands of guitar btw :L)
Yeah, the guitar will for sure be an upgrade, go for it, block the trem, you got yourself a nice upgraded guitar. As far as amp goes, go for a Roland Cube 30x/40x, or even 15x/20x, you won't regret it, also look at the Peavey Vyprs too. Stay away from Marshall MG's and Line 6 Spiders.
ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Tango616
Yeah, the guitar will for sure be an upgrade, go for it, block the trem, you got yourself a nice upgraded guitar. As far as amp goes, go for a Roland Cube 30x/40x, or even 15x/20x, you won't regret it, also look at the Peavey Vyprs too. Stay away from Marshall MG's and Line 6 Spiders.

i understand you so much..... Marshall MG's are so cheapy and shit but if he plays metallica, megadeth and pantera a vypr would be much better for him then a cube
Not really, I have a cube 30x and personally blew the peavey away in my ears, I play from neo-classical, little bit of jazz, all the way to cannibal corpse and necrophagist on it, Still do from time to time when I don't play my better amps, I just like the old, plug in, power, play. No need to wait for tubes to warm up, etc.

BUT, if he does go with the peavey he'll still get a great amp, I liked the peavey a lot, I just like the cube more for the tone I go for.
ಠ_ಠ

They offer that same exact guitar without the trem. Just saying. The ARZ400.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
They offer that same exact guitar without the trem. Just saying. The ARZ400.

Go with this then, for sure.
ಠ_ಠ