Poll: is there a market for custom cases?
Poll Options
View poll results: is there a market for custom cases?
Yes I would be interested in this
12 34%
No I am not interested in this
11 31%
No I am not INterested, but I feel there are many others who would be.
12 34%
Voters: 35.
Trying to not make this an advertising thing, but I am considering going into business for custom road/flight cases. The thing behind this was that I haven't found a viable, relatively cheap road/flight case pedalboard that was large with good features. I made one and my choir director suggested I go into business for it.

I could do cases other than just for pedalboards, really i could do it for almost all sizes and it would be basically incredibly high grade stuff.

I need a website however. I know how to design webpages for the most part, however I don't know about hosting them on the internet or where to go or advertising. I don't know FOR SURE thar there is a market which is kind of why I am asking UG. What do you guys think?
- Cody

Quote by Ninja Vampirate
What a faggot, do a few lines of cocaine and have a shot of whiskey or 5 if you want to study right
Wait so... you want to make cases for holding guitar pedalboards?
If so, that sounds like a terrible idea.

The market would be rather small and there do not need to be specially designed cases for guitar pedals in my opinion. You'd be monopolized by market giants like Ikea bro. Those guys and their boxes..
I also find it hard to imagine you could patent your product, because i can't imagine your special case being innovative in any way, so therefore, you'd have nothing you could patent, and if your product already exists, it is infact probably patented itself, so you wont be legally allowed to make it. I'm no investor or anything of those sorts, but i've watched a lot of Dragons Den bro.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and i'm sure someone has already taken your idea.

And a piece of advice.. Watch lots of Dragons Den. There's a shitload of things that you have to consider if you plan on starting your own business. I could write an essay on this shit. If you jump into it, you're gonna lose the game.
Last edited by vayne92 at Sep 16, 2011,
Get in with a local shop and work out a consignment deal with them, you're bound to have some customers that way, even if you don't deal with them directly. As far as a website goes, a good place to start would be webs.com, and I'd be inclined to believe that there's a market for a cheaper alternative to the bigger brands of hard cases.
Begin again in the night, let's sway again tonight.
Your arm on my shoulder, your cheek against mine.
Where can we go, when will we find that, we know.
Bust a move.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
I get the feeling that if you had a pedal board all wired up and ready to go, in a high-grade sturdy case, and it got scanned at the airport...
shit would get real.
Quote by vayne92
Wait so... you want to make cases for holding guitar pedalboards?
If so, that sounds like a terrible idea.

The market would be rather small and there do not need to be specially designed cases for guitar pedals. You'd be monopolized by market giants like ikea bro. Those guys and their boxes..

There's already an entire market for powered pedal boards with ATA cases, duder. Ebay it up sometime.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
That seems like it could work. It'd be cool to make a guitar case that holds several pedals boards as well.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
I think there's a market for it. I don't know if you're familiar with Pedal Pad, but they make great pedal board/road cases. You would probably want to shoot for a lower price then they offer. And while you're at it, if were so inclined, there's probably a market for inexpensive, well made rack cases.
Don't limit yourself to pedal boards.

All sound equipment needs flightcases, and because it's all different shapes and sizes, all the cases are custom-made for specific pieces of equipment. I think you should offer your service to a local music store. Have a few ready-made cases for pedals and amps, and offer to make custom cases for other things.
According to your profile, you're 17.

Since I assume you're looking for a source of income on the side and aren't looking to make this your fulltime job, I suggest you start small, and by small I mean REALLY small. Try putting up a thing on Kickstarter and see how interested you can get people in your custom pedalboards. If people like em, you can think about expanding. If nobody is willing to put any money at all into your designs, you probably should think about something else instead.

Just my 0.02, though.
if that is what you want to do, go for it man. i think that's the only way to find out if it will be successful. i'm pretty sure there can be a market for custom equipment cases
Quote by vince1991
if that is what you want to do, go for it man. i think that's the only way to find out if it will be successful. i'm pretty sure there can be a market for custom equipment cases

Going for it if you plan on starting a business with your own money is an extremely risky idea, especially if you don't do thorough research and planning. Depending how much money you put into it, you're likely to lose every cent.
Quote by vince1991

Market research --> Market segmentation --> Catering product to segment --> Data from Sales (or lack of) & Business Analytics --> Refinements --> Rinse and Repeat.

If your market research shows a lack of want for the product, you obviously stop there lol.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Make sure have a bigger product range than that. If you just sell flight cases for pedal boards, there would be a very small market. Guitar cases would be a great place to start.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
the thing is that it would not just be pedalboards, i am considering things like keyboard road cases, so they protect you keyboard and you never physically have to remove the keyboard from its case, it has wiring to allow you to plug in a sustain pedal and other things right into the box. This is just an idea idk if it would go through or not. It's not something i think i could be truly monopolized by because I don't think the market is truly filled like i imagine doing.
- Cody

Quote by Ninja Vampirate
What a faggot, do a few lines of cocaine and have a shot of whiskey or 5 if you want to study right