I have a J&D Les paul lc3 with EMG 81/85 pickups that i bought second hand 6 months ago. Today i figured i should check the intonation so i started adjusting the screws. The E and B string was fine but then i got to the G string.

The screw had a greyish coat over it but i figured it was probably just some dirt and i started turning the screw but all the sudden it came loose and the head of the screw fell off. Turns out the previous owner had broke it and the glued the head to the screw again so it would look like everything was okay -.-

The screw and the saddle still sits tight in the bridge but so how do i get the old screw out? It got no head so i can't just unscrew it. And where can i get a new screw?

Please help, i dont know what to do!
Last edited by noxo at Sep 16, 2011,
Relax. First you need to know if your bridge is metric or imperial. Aftre that relacement parts are cheap. STEW MAC, Parts is Parts etc, tons of sources. You may need to chnage the saddle as well as the screw but it's no big deal.
Moving on.....
Man! That's a tricky one. Well, you can probably get a new screw at a hardware store, just get one that's the right size. As for getting the screw out, I don't know. Can you push the screw out the other side? Is the Intonation on that string good? Maybe you could leave it like that (for now). I really don't know.
might be a lot less hassle to get a new bridge...
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
I'd say just get a new bridge.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Okay i'm probably going to buy a new bridge then. Are they hard to install?

edit: Can i get any tune o matic bridge, eg. are there different sizes or is it one fit and are there any significant difference between cheap bridges and more expensive ones?
You can probably tell that i don't have any experience in buying guitar parts
Last edited by noxo at Sep 16, 2011,
nah just detune the strings, and it'll slide off the 2 screws, then just slide the other one on and adjust the intonation.
should do, measure the string spacing with a measuring tape and also the main bridge screw distances.
Wow, nobody knows how to remove a broken screw haha? The easiest method is to drill it out.. find a bit that's the same size as the screw and run through it. Then you'll need a regular non-NPT tap and die to cut new threads into the new slightly-larger hole. Most taps come in two standard types (coarse and fine thread) and I'd recommend the fine thread version for this task. You can find a screw based on the specific tap that you use. If this is too daunting for you, a local machine shop can do this in less than 5 minutes and probably give you a new screw.

You might be able to use a stripped screw remover (can't think of the actual name for the bit) but I don't think the screw shaft will be wide enough in diameter to cut the drive head into.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Sep 16, 2011,
Quote by Flux'D
Wow, nobody knows how to remove a broken screw haha? The easiest method is to drill it out.. find a bit that's the same size as the screw and run through it. Then you'll need a regular non-NPT tap and die to cut new threads into the new slightly-larger hole. Most taps come in two standard types (coarse and fine thread) and I'd recommend the fine thread version for this task. You can find a screw based on the specific tap that you use. If this is too daunting for you, a local machine shop can do this in less than 5 minutes and probably give you a new screw.

You might be able to use a stripped screw remover (can't think of the actual name for the bit) but I don't think the screw shaft will be wide enough in diameter to cut the drive head into.

i do agree with you as far as taking so long for somebody to think to fix it themselves. i have dealt with quite a few machine shops here, as i drag race (1/4 in bradenton), and build motors, and machine shops are not cheap.

they will bill $50-$60 for an man hour regardless of what it is, which isn't worth it IMO and from my experiances.

just buy a new one.

also i dont think an easy out will do any good with this.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Flux'D

Or you can take said bridge out, get a small bit on a drill, and drill on the opposite side of the screw, and force it out using it's own threads. If it's not hard to turn, the bit should only catch it, and not actually drill a hole in the screw, and force it out through the threads.
I've never had much luck doing it that way, especially with tiny fine thread screws. I always end up drilling them out
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D

Seems a bit advanced for me :/
And if i have to buy tools/ho to a machine shop it's probably going to cost as much as buying a new bridge.
Quote by noxo
Seems a bit advanced for me :/
And if i have to buy tools/ho to a machine shop it's probably going to cost as much as buying a new bridge.

just order a replacement.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If your in the USA Guitarfetish.com has replacement bridges for <$15
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by JustRooster

I use them all the time. Killer prices, good pickups, great customer service.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I live in Sweden so i'm going to order from a Swedish site

Btw, the bridge i'm probably going to buy have all the saddles in one direction, the one i have now got 3 in one direction and the other 3 in opposite. Does it make a difference? And should the intonation screws go towards the bridge or the pickups?
You should insert the screw towards the pickups so the heads are on the back of the bridge.