Hey guys today I met up with a problem, that I can't correctly setup my Harmonics Filter (i use one in Guitar Rig 4.2.0).
I want to receive sound that John Frusciante gets in Dani California and She Looks to me, when the main part doubled or harmonized with a couple of harmonies.
I just want to get the same exact sound.
Well, I can't even understand the principle of how the harmonics filter works (I mean, with these sliders and knobs). I understand the physical principle of filtering, I know what harmonics is, just don't understand how to use filter to directly filter my sound.
Any can help?
Dumb question, but are you sure it's a harmonics filter? The only effect I can think of that he uses in Dani California is wah and probably some reverb or a tight delay. (However, I can't listen to the song right now so I'm not 100% sure). What part of the song are you thinking?
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
He said in interview that that sound were received by passing the guitar sound through the Moog filter six or more times.
Last edited by PavelD at Sep 17, 2011,
Quote by Dilberto
That's not an effect, it's multiple guitars.

yeah and if it is another guitar.....still what effect is it.... useless post
Fender Strat 60th Anniv HotRoded
others

Marshall 1980 JMP 2203
Marshall JCM900 1960A Cab
Valve Jr.

VOX v847a Modded
EHX Small Clone Modded
Maxon OD-820
MXR 1978 Flanger
Digitech Whammy
TC Polytune
Custom LPB-1 Boost
He did treat his guitars very heavily on that album(s) with filters but he also used an entire 24 track tape machine to track guitars. You say you want the "same exact sound". Firstly, there are more than one guitar track, possibly treated with Moog filters. This is not going to create harmonies. You need either a harmonizer or to overdub guitar tracks and then to treat it with filters. I have no idea what a harmonics filter does.
Quote by peterocker
yeah and if it is another guitar.....still what effect is it.... useless post

What effect is multiple guitars? Really? Useless question.
no but if there is another guitar in question, that guitar signal is surely going to thru some effect.
Fender Strat 60th Anniv HotRoded
others

Marshall 1980 JMP 2203
Marshall JCM900 1960A Cab
Valve Jr.

VOX v847a Modded
EHX Small Clone Modded
Maxon OD-820
MXR 1978 Flanger
Digitech Whammy
TC Polytune
Custom LPB-1 Boost
I haven't listened proplerly to see if there's something subtle going on but if you listen to the clip the main guitar part is a 3 (or more, I said I haven't tried to figure it out!) part harmony on guitar.
Frusciante used his filters all over the album to achieve sounds that sound nothing like guitars but I don't think this is the case.
the effect isn't what is creating that sound. it is multiple guitars playing different notes that harmonize with eachother.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
the effect isn't what is creating that sound. it is multiple guitars playing different notes that harmonize with eachother.

I said this, I got shouted at.
It makes me laugh when people try to get thick, heavily produced studio sounds out of a live rig. Not even Kali with her four arms couldn't pull off that trick.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Haters gon hate. Bring it! :P

I think they were just confused about what you meant. He still thought there was an effect making that noise. That's just the sound of multiple guitars harmonizing together. I got what you meant, but....you know.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
Haters gon hate. Bring it! :P

I think they were just confused about what you meant. He still thought there was an effect making that noise. That's just the sound of multiple guitars harmonizing together. I got what you meant, but....you know.

Dilberto, despite the fact that I was rude to you I say thank you because you have left at least some valuable comments on this topic. Thank you.
Well, I agree with the previous posters, and I couldn't agree more, that's yeah, there was no harmonizer. It's not a one note that's is harmonized with filter to be a multi-voice. I do not put the question correctly. I need the same exact sound. Well if someone know how to emulate that filter...
Last edited by PavelD at Sep 17, 2011,
According to John "The second verse begins with a couple of guitars playing in harmony. After they were recorded, I ran them through a Moog MF-105 MuRF (Multiple Resonance Filter Array) pedal six times, and recorded the results on individual tracks. The MuRF is very unpredictable, and sounded different on each pass."

You need to start with two guitar parts. I'd recommend trying a combination of phaser and the pro-filter. I can't give you settings but you should be able to get close through careful tweaking. If you want the exact same sound, you need a Moog MuRF. Nothing on Guitar Rig will give you that unless it's suddenly got a MuRF modeller!!