Page 1 of 2
Well Pit, I come to you for advice (starting to think that's not the wisest idea). Anyways, I'm trying to figure out... how in the world do i tell my mother i don't want to become a doctor anymore -for that was my original intention, though after having some experience in the field, i don't really like it much anymore- and tell her i want to be a police officer. She is completely "proud" i guess is the term i can use to say that I'm becoming a doctor and what not. Advice?
Quote by twolostsouls
Looks nice straight. I have a reason to go gay now.

Not that I am gay.
Of course not.
Not at all.
Nope.

dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Trowzaa

See thats the reaction i'm expecting!
Quote by twolostsouls

Not that I am gay.
Of course not.
Not at all.
Nope.

Tell her doctors are pussies and that you want to go around beating the living shit out of people with a billy club.
"Recording is God's way of telling you that you suck." -Bob Brozman
Quote by CoreysMonster
"Mom, I've decided that I don't want to be a doctor. I'd rather be a pig instead."

i genuinely LOL'd at this
Quote by twolostsouls

Not that I am gay.
Of course not.
Not at all.
Nope.

Quote by ethan_hanus
Do what you want, as long as you get some kind of college education, she'll understand.

Probably the most sensible response.

It's still a very respectable profession.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
So instead of making someone's day better by fixing their body, you want to make their day worse by giving them a ticket [and beating them senseless with your pigstick].

Good choice bro.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
So what you're really asking is "How do i tell my mom ive flunked out of college?"
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
Quote by Guitarist132
So what you're really asking is "How do i tell my mom ive flunked out of college?"

No.
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
I hate cops, doctors I actually don't mind so much. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate cops because they are cops, I just make a generalization about cops because all the ones around here have this "power-trip" authority idea that they have control over everyone.

Pigs, Freudian assholes.

If she gets angry, practice being a good cop and beat her with a billy club until she supports you - then call her in and book her.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by Guitarist132

This.

Son, your well-being is at stake. Here... let me take it away and keep it safe for you.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Just tell her that instead of being a doctor, you've decided that you want to help that field by sending people to the doctors with excessive force.

Seriously though, this depends on a number of things. Who paid for all your schooling? How long have you been in the field? How long have you wanted to switch over to Law Enforcement? What are the repercussions to you and the people who are important to you if you go through with this?

Personally, if my family paid for years of schooling, and I decided later that I didn't want to follow that path, I would feel like the scum of the universe if I didn't pay them back, but that's me and only one facet of this choice.

In the end you have to go with what you believe is right, but put thought into it too. Decisions like this don't often just affect you.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
"Mum, I'm not going to be a doctor."
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Quote by darkstar2466
So instead of making someone's day better by fixing their body, you want to make their day worse by giving them a ticket [and beating them senseless with your pigstick].

Good choice bro.

Your post is out of order man. Why spend your life being miserable? You only have one. 18 hour shifts don't sound fun for someone who isn't interested in the profession.

Go be a police officer, and do your community some good.
Guitars Owned
~ None (Yet)
Quote by guitarist41
"Mum, I'm not going to be a doctor."

"Also, I appear to have turned British for some reason, mum."
Quote by Adam98150
Your post is out of order man. Why spend your life being miserable? You only have one. 18 hour shifts don't sound fun for someone who isn't interested in the profession.

private practice...work 8 hours a day make 250k+ depending on where you live
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
Quote by Adam98150

You're out of order.
He's out of order.

THIS WHOLE THREAD IS OUT OF ORDER!
Quote by CoreysMonster
"Also, I appear to have turned British for some reason, mum."

Oh. I guess it's true that Germans have the worst sense of humour then.
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Quote by strat0blaster
Just tell her that instead of being a doctor, you've decided that you want to help that field by sending people to the doctors with excessive force.

Seriously though, this depends on a number of things. Who paid for all your schooling? How long have you been in the field? How long have you wanted to switch over to Law Enforcement? What are the repercussions to you and the people who are important to you if you go through with this?

Personally, if my family paid for years of schooling, and I decided later that I didn't want to follow that path, I would feel like the scum of the universe if I didn't pay them back, but that's me and only one facet of this choice.

In the end you have to go with what you believe is right, but put thought into it too. Decisions like this don't often just affect you.

Some background...
I'm a certified medical assistant, i got the certification through my high school. Right now, School is being paid by a scholarships, so in a sense im paving my own path... As for what my family would think.... only real family i have is my mother and sister who's 33 (im turning 19 soon.) Sister wouldnt mind, just i really dont know how mother would react.
Quote by twolostsouls

Not that I am gay.
Of course not.
Not at all.
Nope.

I'm interested in why everyone thinks so negatively of the police? I'll grant you that some genuinely go out the screw people over. But, I don't believe that's any excuse to have such a negative connotation of the police. So why do you guys not like the police?

Edit: on topic, if you want to do this and you don't have too much time or money invested into the medical career than just tell her straight up and be completely honest with her.
Last edited by cody 0893 at Sep 16, 2011,
Uh, dude your 19. That means you have plenty of time to decide what you would like to do. If you rush your profession, your going to be miserable.

But, if your going to be miserable you may as well be a pig, then you can make everyone elses life miserable along with you. I imagine you would be able to get a hold of a fair amount of high quality drugs along the way, but then again you could of done that as a doctor.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by Vypor
Uh, dude your 19. That means you have plenty of time to decide what you would like to do. If you rush your profession, your going to be miserable.

But, if your going to be miserable you may as well be a pig, then you can make everyone elses life miserable along with you. I imagine you would be able to get a hold of a fair amount of high quality drugs along the way, but then again you could of done that as a doctor.

Because **** the police thats why
Quote by jewdannydan
Some background...
I'm a certified medical assistant, i got the certification through my high school. Right now, School is being paid by a scholarships, so in a sense im paving my own path... As for what my family would think.... only real family i have is my mother and sister who's 33 (im turning 19 soon.) Sister wouldnt mind, just i really dont know how mother would react.

You're taking care of yourself, which is more than most of the Pit can say, so autocongrats to that.

One really important detail about both professions I want you to consider is the specialization factor involved. With Medical school, you will be dedicating 5-7 years of your life in study, residency, and beginning whatever field of practice you decide to subspecialize in. With the copshop, you aren't forced to stay forever or anything, but it's one of those things where complacency can easily take over and turn you bad. It sounds like your mom won't mind, considering you're a responsible adult.

So it remains your choice. Do you want to make people's days better or worse?
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Just tell her the truth. It's that or be miserable.

And to all the other folks: You're absolutely right, cops are horrible. How dare they protect the peace to keep society functioning without violence and put their life on the line for too small a paycheck! Bunch of pigs, the lot of them!
Quote by cody 0893
I'm interested in why everyone thinks so negatively of the police? I'll grant you that some genuinely go out the screw people over. But, I don't believe that's any excuse to have such a negative connotation of the police. So why do you guys not like the police?

To put it simply, regular people don't like to be pushed around by people that are constantly on a high horse, or that take a power-trip mentality about their job.

Like so many police officers do. Sure, there are a couple cool cops in the bunch that don't take their job super-seriously, but its safe to make a generalization about most cops because they are all trained the same way.

Theres this mentality that they have to possess, and its that mentality that they live by.
Quote by darkstar2466
So it remains your choice. Do you want to make people's days better or worse?

Or do you want to have to tell 4 families in the same day that there's nothing you can do to save their loved one?

Quote by cody 0893

Edit: on topic, if you want to do this and you don't have too much time or money invested into the medical career than just tell her straight up and be completely honest with her.

Because cops are like the jocks of adult life. They need a certain personality to be able to deal with people and command their co-operation, this comes across as arrogant a lot of the time.

Also most of the pit are stoners who get pissy about getting caught.
Last edited by SG_dave at Sep 16, 2011,
Quote by jurnag12

And to all the other folks: You're absolutely right, cops are horrible. How dare they protect the peace to keep society functioning without violence and put their life on the line for too small a paycheck! Bunch of pigs, the lot of them!

Nobody said cops are horrible, but they can be frigging annoying. I missed a bus the other day because I was randomly stopped for an identity check due to multiple cases of arson in the area. They asked a bunch of questions, checked my bag etc. etc. Of course they were just doing their job, but it's stuff like that that just makes the general, law-abiding public annoyed by the police.

And female cops in Germany always have that look on their face that says "I've kicked better men than you in the balls and I won't hesitate to do it again."

*shudders*

EDIT: between being a doctor and being a cop, I'd MUCH rather be a cop, though. I could not deal with seeing people dieing around me all the time, or seeing families cry when they're told their little son has asthma/diabetes/leukemia or whatever other horrible things doctors have to go through.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Sep 16, 2011,
Quote by jurnag12

The last time I checked, people still go 60 in 25 zones (every motherfucking day in front of my apartment, as a living example) without caring for others' safety at all... and they are the ones that get away with it while the rest of us get speeding tickets for going 10 over the limit on a freeway. Don't you pull the 'how dare they' card on us. One's humanity is automatically reduced in the position of unjustly punishing others that aren't your friends or family...

p.s. my point in the statement is to say 'if you have the time to pull me over for going 75 on the freeway, why don't you have the time to take the actual evildoers' licenses away...?'
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Sep 16, 2011,
Quote by darkstar2466
The last time I checked, people still go 60 in 25 zones (every motherfucking day in front of my apartment, as a living example) without caring for others' safety at all... and they are the ones that get away with it while the rest of us get speeding tickets for going 10 over the limit on a freeway. Don't you pull the 'how dare they' card on us. One's humanity is automatically reduced in the position of unjustly punishing others that aren't your friends or family...

p.s. my point in the statement is to say 'if you have the time to pull me over for going 75 on the freeway, why don't you have the time to take the actual evildoers' licenses away...?'

The difference is those on the freeway get caught.
You only live once, so **** it man go and do what you want to do (as long as it does not seriously impact on others in a negative way)
Quote by Vypor
To put it simply, regular people don't like to be pushed around by people that are constantly on a high horse, or that take a power-trip mentality about their job.

Like so many police officers do. Sure, there are a couple cool cops in the bunch that don't take their job super-seriously, but its safe to make a generalization about most cops because they are all trained the same way.

Theres this mentality that they have to possess, and its that mentality that they live by.

Alright I do guess that I have a different perspective because I've grown up in a small town. I haven't experienced but one officer that was like that. That does make sense though. Thanks for pointing that out.
Quote by cody 0893
Alright I do guess that I have a different perspective because I've grown up in a small town. I haven't experienced but one officer that was like that. That does make sense though. Thanks for pointing that out.

Yeah man, im sure you will feel similar when your getting harassed for something you didn't do -

Or your getting overly harassed for something that isn't that big of a deal. Like skateboarding or busking.

If I'm busking, you don't have to pull up and turn your lights on and get out and scream and take my guitar and tell my to put my hands on the car and start to process me.

If I'm telling you I have permission by the owner, don't tell my you dont care and that its still against the law and your writing me a $200 ticket. Thats an asshole thing to do.

All you have to do is tell me I can't do that here, and ask me not to return. I'll happily busk somewhere else.
If you're going to be a cop, don't be one of those gung ho assholes who don't comprehend basic civil liberties. K thnx.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
If you're going to be a cop, don't be one of those gung ho assholes who don't comprehend basic civil liberties. K thnx.

Quote by SlinkyBlue

The solution is simple and obvious.

We revolt against ourselves. Mass suicide. The ultimate revolution.
Mr. Patel --- I mean TS, parents usually want their kids to be doctors due to the social status of being a physician since the hours can be very demanding and calls can come 3-5 times every night when you're on call, interrupting your sleep.

It's her problem she needs to get over.
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
Page 1 of 2