Hey!

First time in this forum actully, so i don't know if this is the correct place to post this question.
If it´s wrong, please tell me.

Anyways, i´d like some help regarding garageband. I've managed to get a good Clean tone on my guitar but i can't seem to get a good metal sound. So i wondered if you had any good settings for metal tones in garageband.

A few things regarding this that might help you give me a good answear.

1. I need a tone that works for Drop C/D standard aswell as Drop D/E standard. The ones i've tried makes the low E string sound very "muddy" when in drop C tuning. I need kind of a crunchy sound, so you can hear the low e.

2.I play mostly Metalcore stuff in that tuning (Drop C) so i was hoping you could help me get a sound that works for it. Bands like BFMV, august burns red, Killswitch Engage, All that remains etc.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, thanks in advance.

Sickz.
Probably belongs in the 'Recording' forum more than anywhere else, but oh well. I don't know what format Garageband's effects are in. But if they're a standard .dll (or whatever the standard Apple VST is), try some amp simulation plugins (I highly recommend the Poulin plugins, like LE456, SoloC, Legion, etc), with some impulse loading software.

I've used Garageband to play around in college briefly, and from what I gathered, the amp simulation effect in it, isn't all that great. Maybe there is a website dedicated to just extra effects/plugins for the program, if 'normal' plugins aren't compatible for whatever reason.

EDIT -
Are you just listening to the guitar on it's own right now, or in a mix? Sometimes something that sounds crap by itself, can sound fantastic in a mix. This can be especially true with guitars, aslong as they aren't too muddy or fizzy/hissy.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Last edited by Carl6661 at Sep 16, 2011,
check out the recordings forum it helped me in this area. good links and tutorials as well.

anyway here are some great plugins for mac and pc the same as mentioned above.
http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com/
also look for nick crow's 8505 amp vst they are great.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Quote by Carl6661
Probably belongs in the 'Recording' forum more than anywhere else, but oh well. I don't know what format Garageband's effects are in. But if they're a standard .dll (or whatever the standard Apple VST is), try some amp simulation plugins (I highly recommend the Poulin plugins, like LE456, SoloC, Legion, etc), with some impulse loading software.

this. you're gonna have a tough time getting a good tone with the gb amp models but get some free poulin plugins and some cab impulses and you'll be set
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Sickz What I do is take the maelstrom amp, roll the gain to about half, presence at 3 or 4, bass at 6, mids at 4, and treble at 4. Then I go to the pedalboard, and put the yellow distortion pedal with tone around 6, drive and level all the way up. Then put the treble boost pedal up and change the switch to full. Go into eq and cut the very high end. You should be set. Make sure your guitar volume is all the way up. Not the highest gain in the world, but it makes a single coil neck pickup in my friend's strat knockoff sound smooth and warm when he solos, and the bridge pickup is crunchy but clear. Sounds great in a mix.
Been working with garageband for about 3 years, doing mixes for a couple of my friends' bands. They seem to like the sounds I get, and I've been using these settings for a long time.
Last edited by 4metalguitarist at Dec 9, 2016,