I have currently been learning Andy James' song "Jump to light speed" and have been having problems with the tapping at the start of the song. Can anyone give me some hints or good exercises to get better at this technique?
Practice slowly and accurately, then speed up. If you try it at full speed immediately, it'll sound messy. Symphony X has some licks like this too.
Quote by Cavalcade
Practice slowly and accurately, then speed up. If you try it at full speed immediately, it'll sound messy. Symphony X has some licks like this too.

Saying Symphony X has some is an understatement. Every song has 'em.

For OP, just slow down your metronome to a speed you can play it at and build up from there.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
I find that Guitar Pro and Tux Guitar help a lot with more complex passages, since you can play along to the song and have it incrementally speed up during practice. That's how I learn most complex stuff these days.
Quote by Dream Floyd
Saying Symphony X has some is an understatement. Every song has 'em.

For OP, just slow down your metronome to a speed you can play it at and build up from there.

Pretty much. Michael Romeo is the string-skipping tapping god.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
I think i know what your problem is, since it's very common for people that are starting out with string skipping tapping. So i am guessing it is muting?

Only real way to get it clean is to practice it so painfully slow that you can control all sounds, therefor muting the unwanted sounds.

So start slow, get it clean. Then move a little bit faster.

Hope i helped.

Cheers.
Quote by Speed-metal9000
I have currently been learning Andy James' song "Jump to light speed" and have been having problems with the tapping at the start of the song. Can anyone give me some hints or good exercises to get better at this technique?

What problem are you having with it? Is it the actual tapping technique or the string skipping bit or is it a case of you're good at both but when you put it together you just can't seem to do it?

-If it's the actual tapping technique you are struggling with, I highly suggest this guy as a good person to learn from, as in this video I've linked he will explain everything I could and more about the tapping technique. Guthrie Govan- Tapping Lesson

-If it's the string skipping or the putting the two together your struggling with, then as many people have mentioned and will mention to you, it is a simple case of starting slowly and making sure you master it at that tempo before building it up, it's not good practice to speed it up, even if you only make the odd mistake at the tempo you're at, because when you speed it up, you're just gonna be practicing those bad habits quicker if that makes sense. So overall, practice slowly and be harsh on yourself, if you make the odd mistake then stay at that speed until you don't. The general rules would be to be able to play it 5 times 100% accurately before you move up the tempo in around 5bmp each time (Yes it may sound labourious and boring but at the end of the day it will make your technique better).

And in future, please be more specific about what your struggling with as it will help people to be able to give you more precise advice and help.

Good luck dude, hope this helps.

Aidan.