Hi folks,

Kind of a newbie to the world of guitar. Hoping to do a lot of reading on here and the gear building forum to pick things up. I was wondering if anybody might be able to help me out with a spec comparison in the meantime.

Comparing the PRS Tremonti SE here
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SEMTBBK/

and the "signature model" here
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TremontiBKS/

the only major differences that I can see is the latter is fitted for a whammy bar, comes with Tremonti's pickups instead of the stock ones and there's a hardshell case. They also list the controls as different as well but in the first link I feel like it's a typo as I see 4 knobs not 2.

Can someone enlighten me why there's a $2k difference here? Thanks in advance, sorry to bug any senior members that view this as obvious.
well the sig has a carved flamed maple top and the other one is just a flat top.
the sig has 25 frets to the others 22 and different shape necks.
Last edited by carpincowboy at Sep 16, 2011,
Your comparing a SE to a real PRS. One is made in the USA, has better wood, pickups, hardware, build quality. The SE is made in korea I think, good for the price but id say in all aspects its a lesser guitar.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
while i think you would be happy with either (im a big fan of Tremonti), i think you would notice the overall better quality for the USA version. Basically what Snapple said honestly
Quote by Snapple
Your comparing a SE to a real PRS. One is made in the USA, has better wood, pickups, hardware, build quality. The SE is made in korea I think, good for the price but id say in all aspects its a lesser guitar.

Thanks for the responses guys. Where did you come across the manufacturing info Snapple? I'm curious so I know how to look for the higher quality in the future as they both have the PRS logo. (ie don't wanna wind up paying 2600 for one that is really worth 500)
^ SE on the headstock dude. If you buy from a reliable store, there's no risk of you mixing up, all the SE line is made in Korea.
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Hughes&Kettner Tube Meister
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
I am obviously a PRS fan

Have a look at their website, paul reed smith himself talks about the SE guitars on youtube. They are cheaper made, good for their price but they are aimed at a cheaper price point. Most of them will have flat-tops, solid finishes, and a big SE on the headstock.

USA PRS will be pretty much a carved top, better wood, either phase 2 or the vintage tuners and the proper PRS headstock. Generally its silk-screened signature or 25th anniversary and modern eagles/private stock have an inlayed bird.

At the end of the day, there's no one thing that separates them, but when you hold them there is a world of difference. The USA are just better, a lot more expensive tho.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by carpincowboy

Umm.. 25?
Where's Waldo?
You can always buy locking tuners (Grover 406c's are a direct fit), pickups, hardware, etc. and get a Tremonti SE similar to the American made guitar. But there will be a difference in appearance, the woods, and most of all the neck profiles. You can get an SE to sound similar, perform similar, but never FEEL similar to the American made.

Not that you can't shred on a Wide Fat neck, but to me the Wide Thin neck on a single cut body is what separated the Tremonti from other single cut models. The Korean model is more like a SC250 SE with Mark's name stamped on it. I really wish they would make it with a Wide Thin neck to make it more true to his actual signature.
@Doggy-Style & Snapple

Thanks guys, hit the nail on the head with what I was looking for.
Quote by carpincowboy
well the sig has a carved flamed maple top and the other one is just a flat top.

The PRS sig has 22 frets and a 25'' scale, like the PRS SE sig.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>