So I have a macbook with Garageband. I've been using it to make electronic music, but I'm wanting to actually record guitar with it.

I know I need an interface, but I'm not sure what ones I should look into for what I'm wanting to do. I know the M-Audio fastrack is a great start, but I was wondering how it and the Line 6 POD UX2 would work on garageband, as well as being used to record amps, instead of having a guitar plugged straight in.

Also, I plan on recording vocals, bass, and drums. (Though I know drums are expensive to record well.)
Quote by Nomack
Next hendrix is like a a sidesplitting triumph of slapstick and scatology, a runaway moneymaker and budding franchise, the worst thing to happen to Kazakhstan since the Mongol hordes, and, a communist.

This is my sig!
you're on the right track, although i don't recommend any mbox or line 6 interface. I would suggest Focusrite, Motu (awful tech support), or Apogee.

They're in your price range, have better conversion and pres.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
If you want to record drums, you're going to want an interface with at least 6 mic inputs. I have a Tascam US-2000 that I love, and every big name interface maker has something in the same price range that can do the same. Focusrite makes good stuff as well.

Drums are the trickiest thing to record, but since you're doing electronic stuff, you can always sample them for now. Also, you could look into Amp Sims for guitar-work if you don't want to buy a mic to record your amp. Even though you'll need one for vocals eventually anyways.
Thanks for the help.

Is there anything you'd recommend for around $200 or a bit lower?
Also, should I be looking for something with phantom power?
Quote by Nomack
Next hendrix is like a a sidesplitting triumph of slapstick and scatology, a runaway moneymaker and budding franchise, the worst thing to happen to Kazakhstan since the Mongol hordes, and, a communist.

This is my sig!
Quote by Next Hendrix

Also, should I be looking for something with phantom power?

For vocal recordings yes. Large Diaphragm Mics often need phantom power.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Condensers need phantom power, that's pretty much it. You can use condensers for anything but common appliances would be drum overheads, room mics, vocals, acoustic guitars, pianos and so on.
Can't hurt to have the option but remember to turn phantom power off when using dynamic or ribbon mics. I've heard of people getting shit quality and all kinds of strange anomalies when using pp with the aforementioned two.

If you want enough inputs to record drums (no less than 6 imo) you'll have to find something used or raise your budget to the 300-500$ area.
Last edited by Ascendant at Sep 20, 2011,
I'm back with another question: Would you recommend the M-Audio fastrack pro for what I'm looking for?

Also, I failed to mention i can do MIDI drums if need be.
Quote by Nomack

This is my sig!
Have you thought about getting a multitracker to do the recordings on? You can either buy one which is a standalone unit, or get something like the Zoom R8/16/24 which works on it's own, but also acts as a PC interface and controls your software.

I know the R16 & R24 both record up to 8 tracks simultaneously (not sure on the specs of the R8) so would be more than enough to record drums.

This sort of setup also has the advantage over PC based recording that you can take just the multitracker to a practice/gig, record everything, then hook it back up to your PC when you get home.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud