Me and a friend are running the schools tv station, and we get to do our little "radio" thing on the station. I'm putting on stuff like Disturbed, Linkin Park, Korn, Black Sabbath, and Metallica. However he likes the stuff I do, put wants to put on more current popular songs (Like 30 seconds to mars and eminem) in order to boost our views (mind we only broadcast in a local area of a couple thousand). However I really don't like that stuff. What should I do?
this could have some helpful information.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
why not have sections for certain genres?
GENERIC SIGNATURE
Being a good DJ means not forcing your music tastes onto others. If you want to expose people to more of your kind of music, pick music that is more accessible to a large amount of people. I'm not going to play Rime of the Ancient Mariner on the radio, but I would play Blood Brothers.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Just compromise and play both alternately. You'd have to pick the classics wisely so they're catchy though. A lot of people have attention spans of goldfish.

OR if you really wanted to get listeners, play Ke$ha, Britney spears and all that derogatory crap they put on music stations. People like that. Unfortunately.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Quote by Silent Murder
Just compromise and play both alternately. You'd have to pick the classics wisely so they're catchy though. A lot of people have attention spans of goldfish.

OR if you really wanted to get listeners, play Ke$ha, Britney spears and all that derogatory crap they put on music stations. People like that. Unfortunately.

I can't name a single person who actually likes Britney Spears (Now that is, they did like 10 years ago).
Quote by theunforgivn
Me and a friend are running the schools tv station, and we get to do our little "radio" thing on the station. I'm putting on stuff like Disturbed, Linkin Park, Korn, Black Sabbath, and Metallica. However he likes the stuff I do, put wants to put on more current popular songs (Like 30 seconds to mars and eminem) in order to boost our views (mind we only broadcast in a local area of a couple thousand). However I really don't like that stuff. What should I do?

Swallow your pride and mix it up. You'll get a more diverse listener base, will introduce new music to people and may even find some new stuff you may like.
Quote by rockingamer2
Being a good DJ means not forcing your music tastes onto others. If you want to expose people to more of your kind of music, pick music that is more accessible to a large amount of people. I'm not going to play Rime of the Ancient Mariner on the radio, but I would play Blood Brothers.

But you should.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I'm surprised people actually listen to your show, because all of those bands suck. If you think you're hcore because you rather listen to Linking Park than Drake, you're wrong. Drake's way better anyway. KoRn is absolutely ridiculous too.

Play some stuff that comes on the Pop Station in your town, and not be a douchebag.
Quote by ChadLikesGuitar
I'm surprised people actually listen to your show, because all of those bands suck. If you think you're hcore because you rather listen to Linking Park than Drake, you're wrong. Drake's way better anyway. KoRn is absolutely ridiculous too.

Play some stuff that comes on the Pop Station in your town, and not be a douchebag.

Woah woah woah.
Let's not start bashing someone's taste in music.
Quote by ChadLikesGuitar

Not everyone listens to music because they want to seem "hcore".
Quote by theunforgivn
Disturbed, Linkin Park, Korn, Black Sabbath, and Metallica.

Gross.
Quote by Ahteh
Not everyone listens to music because they want to seem "hcore".

He's talking like he thinks he's cool for listening to bands that just barely miss the top 40.
You already said in the OP:

'Me AND a friend'.

Stop being a selfish dick, and think of someone other than yourself and what you like.
Quote by ChadLikesGuitar
He's talking like he thinks he's cool for listening to bands that just barely miss the top 40.

Those were examples. I don't think I'm hardcore. If I wanted to give that guise, I would listen to BVB or something along those lines.
I listen to a lot of rock/metal bands.
Get a better taste in music.

Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Take turns like somebody who has passed kindergarten should?
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
Quote by theunforgivn
Those were examples. I don't think I'm hardcore. If I wanted to give that guise, I would listen to BVB or something along those lines.
I listen to a lot of rock/metal bands.

Alright man, we cool.