Ive had my 2008 American Fender Strat for almost 3 years now, and i think it is an awesome guitar, but sometimes i think it can sound "better", i can't really describe what lacks, but i just want to try to get the best sound out of the guitar. Since i love the body and neck feel, i was wondering if the stock pups could be replaced for some better ones (the stocks are great , i know, but i'm wondering if i can find something "Excellent" ). I play mostly PJ/ foo fighters/ John mayer/ SRV / Hendrix / RHCP / anything rock & funky kinda stuff and occassionally something jazzy by lowering my tone knob.
Been looking at Dimarzio Areas, Lindy Fralin Vintage Hots and Texas Specials, What do you guys think about these pups? Thanks in advance!
In my experience, for passive pickups, single coil or humbucker, DiMarzio is the way to go. I also think that the lace sensors are all over-rated.
i wanted to get a std strat and throw texas specials in it, THEN i found the classic player 60's strat which has the custom shop 69 pickups in it and i think they sound better for mayer/srv/hendrix sounds than the TS's do.
though texas specials are great, the 69 pickups give you another option of a slightly hotter, jazzier but also more rounded sound for a similar price.
i'd suggest you try them out, they'll certainly give you something to think about.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Hearing all the different opinions on this makes it very hard because everyone prefers something different so it seems... And because pickups cant be tested in advance and i can't hear what they sound like in my setup, what i buy first will probably be a wild guess..
Quote by Hendrik93
Hearing all the different opinions on this makes it very hard because everyone prefers something different so it seems... And because pickups cant be tested in advance and i can't hear what they sound like in my setup, what i buy first will probably be a wild guess..

You can listen to sound bytes at some pickup manufacturer's sites, and check out demos on youtube, but they aren't going to be using the exact same rig as you most of the time and you are also depending on their recorded quality you are hearing, etc., and also the speakers on your computer, etc. but yes, mainly it will be a wild guess unless you have first hand experience with pickups.
For more distoring and the more hendrix type stuff you want pickups wound with 42awg PE wire. Most modern pickups use poly wire which is a bit mushy sounding and you don't get the cut.

If you want a more SRV or RHCP sound then you want something wound with 42awg formvar wire. These will have a smooth sound that PE pickups won't have and a brightness and chime that modern pickups don't tend to have.

There are not good Fender pickups for the SRV tone but the custom shop 69's are pretty good for the the Hendrix tone.

If you have the money I'd look at sd pickups (not to be mistaken for seymor duncan). I make some great pickups for what you are after too but poor health means that I'm not taking orders at the moment.
Not taking any online orders.