I thought it was fret buzz forever. Until today. I decided to try, yet again, to track down why my upper strings sound so shitty, E & B especially.

I finally figured out that it was a piece on my bridge. A small metal wire-ish piece that goes across all the screws which you change for intonation. I realized that if i wedged a screwdriver between the wire and the bridge, the buzz would go away.

So, anyone dealt with this before? Can i remove the vibrating wire? or.. do i need a new bridge or something?

Working on pics atm, will hopefully edit soon.

Thanks!

edit: k so here it is
http://files.scottyshideout.com//files/1/0916111533.jpg

phone pic so it's blurry (sry), but you can barely make out the wireish thing going across all the screws.

Guitar is a Dean Dave Mustaine Signature V
Last edited by Chockomonkey at Sep 16, 2011,
Pics would help.

What guitar is is?
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Quote by Chockomonkey
I thought it was fret buzz forever. Until today. I decided to try, yet again, to track down why my upper strings sound so shitty, E & B especially.

I finally figured out that it was a piece on my bridge. A small metal wire-ish piece that goes across all the screws which you change for intonation. I realized that if i wedged a screwdriver between the wire and the bridge, the buzz would go away.

So, anyone dealt with this before? Can i remove the vibrating wire? or.. do i need a new bridge or something?

Working on pics atm, will hopefully edit soon.

Thanks!

edit: k so here it is
http://files.scottyshideout.com//files/1/0916111533.jpg

phone pic so it's blurry (sry), but you can barely make out the wireish thing going across all the screws.

Guitar is a Dean Dave Mustaine Signature V

I honestly cant see it well but im sure there ia a reason for the wirebeing there. Try applying some chap stick maybe it just needs some lube. And dont worry chapstick wont damage ur guitar
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
The wire keeps the intonation screws from vibrating and moving, some bridges are alright without 'em while others need it. You could always shove a piece of paper in between the bridge and the wire? Or dab a bit of glue on it to stop it from making noise. Or just take it out and rebend it a little to where it fits a bit more snug. It's a ridiculously simple fix no matter how you go about it
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Sep 16, 2011,
Okay, so--I tried this chapstick trick with no success. Much more probing has finally led me to the part that is actually vibrating.

My bridge is very much like the below:
https://www.martinsixstringcustoms.com/store/images/uploads/SiklineToneProsABR1.jpg

The vibration is actually coming from each of the screws which adjusts the intonation. They are sitting in a U-shaped catch, metal-on-metal.

Anyone solved this problem?

I suppose i could get one of these: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/tonepros-t3bt-locking-fixed-bridge
Last edited by Chockomonkey at Sep 19, 2011,
Set up your guitar, then use a dab of loctite on the inside thread, when it drys it should be ok.
Last edited by sstony at Sep 20, 2011,
Clear nail varnish/loctite is pretty much the solution for all bridge buzzing issues. You'll have to reapply when you adjust the bridge though, but it should hold everything sturdy.
Thanks for the replies. I'll try that today, but i want to make sure you understood me correctly. There aren't really threads, you see... the reason it vibrates is because it just lays in this metal U-shaped cradle. Would this nail varnish still be of use here?
I always remove that wire. they're pretty useless unless you've got some bottom of the barrel chinese hardware

edit:

if it's those screws, I just dab some clear nail polish in them and go about my day
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Last edited by CJ Noble at Sep 20, 2011,
I removed any possible vibration at this area with a few wraps of teflon tape around each screw, but unfortunately to no avail.

What else do you guys do to determine the source of a vibration?

Did i mention that the vibration moved? It used to be on the highest 3 strings. I adjusted the truss rod and changed strings (same gauge, just new), and now playing the lower 3 strings seems to cause it.
i remember reading someone using a stethoscope for this sorta thing. I think i'm going to buy one at walgreens today to hopefully put this thing to bed.
it sounds like oscillation to me... did you change string gauges recently?
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by SomebodySomeone
it sounds like oscillation to me... did you change string gauges recently?

Well, this has been going on forever... but yes i changed string gauges when it first started happening, along with a lot of other tinkering--which is what made this problem such a headache to track down to begin with.

Could elaborate on what you think is going on?
Quote by Chockomonkey
Well, this has been going on forever... but yes i changed string gauges when it first started happening, along with a lot of other tinkering--which is what made this problem such a headache to track down to begin with.

Could elaborate on what you think is going on?

do you hear like a harmonic when you pluck an open string. likle a halfassed pinch harmonic?
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by SomebodySomeone
do you hear like a harmonic when you pluck an open string. likle a halfassed pinch harmonic?

one might describe it that way. When i'm plugged in it muddy's up the bottom e and makes it sound as if it were a half-step off. (which may be this harmonic your talking about)
Quote by Chockomonkey
one might describe it that way. When i'm plugged in it muddy's up the bottom e and makes it sound as if it were a half-step off. (which may be this harmonic your talking about)

what else did you do besides change the string gauge?

if the strings are a bit thicker than what comes stock, the strings may not be sittin on the saddles and/or nut slots properly

also stretch the strings so that the windings tighten up a bit. i find that helped sometimes when i got the oscillation from my strings....
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
i believe at that point in time i changed strings, played with pickup height, and adjusted the action and intonation a little at the bridge.

However, i took all the strings off to change them--i hadn't heard that you should do it one at a time.

When i got it all put back together and adjusted, i suddenly had this weird vibration/buzzing happening, which muddys up the tone when played through an amp. You can hear a whirring sound when played un-ammped.

Also should probably mention that this noise can be heard no matter how strong or soft i pluck the string.