Hi everyone.

I currently have my heart set on an ESP Horizon Non-Tremolo for my next guitar. This, combined with the fact that my current guitar already has a trem, and it is quite bothersome sometimes, has made me want a non-trem guitar as my next.

But, alas, some of the music I want to play in the future involves whammy bar use, so I've been looking for alternatives.

My best bet seems to be the Digitech Whammy Pedal (http://www.guitarcenter.com/DigiTech-Whammy-Pedal-with-MIDI-Control-100883446-i1124231.gc)

What I want to know is, as far as mimicking the effects I could do with a whammy bar, how capable and "true" is it? Is it a compromise for a non-trem guitar or is it pretty close to the real thing?

Also, it says it has octaver and harmonizer, is this for stuff like duets? Where you play one guitar and the pedal creates the other? (e.g. Fear of the dark, intro to Wasting Love)

TL;DR - How good is the Digitech Whammy at mimicking the effects of an actual whammy bar? Is it a compromise or is it pretty close?

Thanks everyone!
The Whammy is nothing like an actual whammy bar, it's far more sensitive.

What it excels at is rapid pitch shifting up or down octaves, not the gradual effect that you get with a proper trem bar.

Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_iFxfCh2B8
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
The whammy bar's brilliant for going up, but going down dosen't work so well, the one octave and drop tune work quite well as trem type sounds, but the dive bomb mode is a very poor simulation, if you are the type not to do divebombs it'll work quite well, but not as well, personally i'd suggest you stick with a trem and get a whammy anyway, they both brilliant at the opposite thing (trem bar-down whammy pedal up)

Also it sounds balls on clean, but most things do on my amp
Quote by ErikLensherr
It's threads like this that separate grammar Nazis from only mildly anti-Semitic grammar conservatives.
Quote by teh_goon
The whammy bar's brilliant for going up, but going down dosen't work so well, the one octave and drop tune work quite well as trem type sounds, but the dive bomb mode is a very poor simulation, if you are the type not to do divebombs it'll work quite well, but not as well, personally i'd suggest you stick with a trem and get a whammy anyway, they both brilliant at the opposite thing (trem bar-down whammy pedal up)

Also it sounds balls on clean, but most things do on my amp

Wait, what? The whammy bar doesn't work so well for going down in pitch? It's fantastic for that! Ask EVH.

The dive bomb mode isn't so bad, but it's very easy to go too fast. If you do it slowly it's a fair simulation, but will never be as quick and realistic as a real tremolo arm. It's better for ambient noise type things like vai's dive bomb in the halo theme. Other than that, octave up or down is the most useable mode. Harmony mode is a bit difficult.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Last edited by Reincaster at Sep 17, 2011,
Quote by Raijouta
The Whammy is nothing like an actual whammy bar, it's far more sensitive.

What it excels at is rapid pitch shifting up or down octaves, not the gradual effect that you get with a proper trem bar.

Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_iFxfCh2B8

Is it too sensitive? As in, wouldn't enable me to use like the actual bar, or is it just a matter of learning it's touch?

Thanks!