Greetings all,

A happy new guitar day story to share:

Last weekend I went to Whistler with my wife for a getaway to celebrate our 10th anniversary. I had been hoping (but was far from certain that) she would buy me a guitar for my 40th birthday in three weeks. On the way out of town, we stopped by a music shop so I could show her the guitar I had identified in my quest for tone and comfort.

After enjoying a rare child-free weekend, on the way back into town she asked me when I would like to get my new guitar. I thought she was teasing me -- I was emotionally prepared for a month of good-natured taunting if it meant a Larrivee at the end of the ordeal =^)

So we stopped at the music shop on the way home, and she bought me a new Larrivee LV03re -- or should I say THE new LV03re I had hunted down and identified over months of searching. She won't even make me wait until my actual birthday to play it (ha ha). What an awesome woman! Now I'm doubly happy I didn't give her a hard time when she needed to ditch me with our boy to travel frequently for work this year =^)

Anyway, I am now the delighted owner of a new Larrivee LV03re: solid sitka spruce top, solid rosewood back and sides, one-piece compound radius set mahogany neck, and ebony fretboard and bridge, maple binding, a venetian cutaway, and no useless bling (gold tuners, etc). I wound up purchasing the the model with electronics because Larrivee doesn't make an LV03r without the electronics. I'm happy with this decision -- I plugged it into my little fender amp at home, and it sounded pretty darn good (I need more time to listen & tinker to make a better assessment on the electronics). Having a built-in tuner is also pretty handy. I'm also happy with the cutaway choice -- I wound up using it yesterday, while I was getting acquainted (in my wife's words) with my new "girlfriend".

After some playing this week, I couldn't be happier with my purchase. My old cheap dreadnought is so nasty to play by comparison, I'm in tonal bliss! The guitar is well-balanced between low and highs, the treble is sweet but not strident, and there is still a good bass despite being a little bit smaller than a full-sized dreadnought. The spruce top and rosewood sides and back are extremely resonant, and I found that I need to mute strings more because the sustain is so good. The Larrivee "L" shape guitars are great for people who like OM-style guitars, but want more bass. It seems excellent for both strumming and fingerpicking. I use it mostly for celtic folk songs and fingerpicking.

The L-shape is so much more comfortable to play, as I realized while getting to play it on the couch for a couple of hours last night. It is much easier on the neck and shoulders. Looking forward to many hours of play with this guitar!

I don't have a photo to post yet, but here's a link to the Larrivee web site with beautiful photos.

http://www.larrivee.com/instruments/acoustics/LV3RE.php
that's awesome. congrats on the early bday gift.
Gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a shit?

Last edited by kingbabyduck at Sep 16, 2011,
congrats on your new larrivee
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
It plays very smoothly. The neck is slim, the action is low, and the guitar feels right in my hands. I find it much easier to achieve good tones on it than on my beater dreadnought. It also has some sweet overtones when the strings are run.

It was a tough choice between this model, with the solid rosewood back & sides, and the same guitar with sapele back & sides. The sapele model was brighter, had less overtones, and more of the fundamental tone of each note. I felt it was an awesome fingerpicking guitar, but not as good a strummer. So I went with the rosewood model, since I felt it did both very well. I also play some celtic folk music, some of which was adapted from the harp, so having ringing sustained strings lends itself well to the genre.
Quote by Steve BP
Anyway, I am now the delighted owner of a new Larrivee LV03re: solid sitka spruce top, solid rosewood back and sides, one-piece compound radius set mahogany neck, and ebony fretboard and bridge, maple binding, a venetian cutaway, and no useless bling (gold tuners, etc). I wound up purchasing the the model with electronics because Larrivee doesn't make an LV03r without the electronics. I'm happy with this decision -- I plugged it into my little fender amp at home, and it sounded pretty darn good (I need more time to listen & tinker to make a better assessment on the electronics). Having a built-in tuner is also pretty handy. I'm also happy with the cutaway choice -- I wound up using it yesterday, while I was getting acquainted (in my wife's words) with my new "girlfriend".
Indeed, onboard electronics are good, very good. I actually wouldn't consider buying a purely "acoustic" guitar nowadays.

If you can, create an opportunity for yourself to try the new axe on a "modeling amp". (Even a tiny amp like the Peavey "Vyper 15" is plenty potent for parlor sound reinforcement. Ya gotta love a bit of delay in the sound, as most living rooms are pretty dull sounding without it). I've found that different guitars sound better with different amp models. (All clean channel models for an acoustic electric, of course). Who knows, you might like this type of amp, and Christmas is coming up...
Hi Captain Cranky,

Using a modelling amp is a good idea. I'll have to try the new guitar with my pocket pod! I'll report the results when I'm off of Daddy Duty and have a chance to try it.

Fortunately, the wood & tile floors in my condo provide some excellent natural reverb.

I've tried it through a little Fender champ and it sounded pretty good. Mind you, I couldn't hear it so well, as I didn't turn up the volume loud (apartment living), and the guitar was pretty loud. I'll have to try it with the speaker pointing at my head and hear how much of the dynamics and overtones the amp picks up. If it works well, I have plenty of yummy pedals to try with it.

I also have a modest Mesa Boogie with a really good clean channel -- I haven't given that a go yet. I suspect with any overdrive it will feedback a lot, but I'll have to try

... I still can't get over the sustain on this guitar!
Last edited by Steve BP at Sep 17, 2011,