I want to incorporate the melody of a song into an original piece by myself, but from what I've read it's not quite 'sampling'.

Instead of taking the actual audio from a song and re purposing it, I want to use a vocal piece as the solo in a song, played by myself on guitar. The rhythm would differ slightly but the melody would be unchanged.

An example of what I want to do that I can think of is Kanye West's song 'Hell of a Life' in which he uses the melody of the riff to Iron Man as the vocal melody in the chorus, though in my case it would be the other way around; playing a vocal line on guitar.

So my question is, is there a name for what I want to do? And also what are the laws concerning this practice?

Thank you
Squier Tele Vintage Modified Custom > Laney TF300
it actually depends on what label the original band is under. As long as it's not Disney or WMG you should be fine, and it's not illegal. Is it a really well known song your ripping off?
Reimagination of a focal melody? I don't think the name matters much, but the general rule is that, if the part is an obvious rip-off and important to the entirety of the piece, you give credit where credit is due.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Actually, it's the song Billy Boyd sings in the third Lord of the Rings film

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY9dQ8hUi7U

Edit: of course I would give credit, and I don't wish to claim the piece as my own, I just want to know the legal implications in terms of royalties and such.
Squier Tele Vintage Modified Custom > Laney TF300
Well, unless you're already signed and putting out more than a handful of tracks, you won't make enough for anyone to worry too much about royalties, but I'd wait for a more legally savvy member (Alan) to verify that.

e: yeah, listen to amc
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Last edited by Hail at Sep 16, 2011,
Quote by JD Close
it actually depends on what label the original band is under. As long as it's not Disney or WMG you should be fine, and it's not illegal. Is it a really well known song your ripping off?

Okay.... so how does this ring to you?

Q. I have something and I'm wondering if it is stealing, or if I should have to pay for it.

A. It actually depends who you're stealing from. As long it is not the Thompson family or a church group you should be fine and it's not illegal.

So, stealing something from some people is illegal, and stealing from other people is not illegal? Where the hell do you get that from? How can you possibly rationalize that?

In answering the TS question, it IS an identifiable portion of someone else's work. Not only do you need to give credit, you need to pay to use it. What you're looking for is a mechanical license - the same one you would require to record and perform a cover of said song. The going rate is about 8 cents a copy per copy MADE (not sold), and more info on that is in the "copyright for dummies" sticky.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
any time you sample you have to get permission from the publishers or the original composer, whether it be speaking a main line or two from a book before a song (recently worked with a band that had this problem), using a main melody, etc.
Quote by homesneez
Technically, what you want to do is called interpolation.

Just what I was about to say. Just like Hell of a Life.