Page 1 of 2
Why is it always so cheesy and simple? Every " technical " band I listen either tremolo picks really fast ( and apparently that's technical ) or just wanks with sweeps. I can play straight up and down a harmonic minor scale too, does this make me a good technical guitarist? No.

So on the other hand, could anyone actually mention some bands that aren't horribly cliche or awful? Obviously I can't listen to every band.
Why don't you start off by listing the bands that you consider to be in the genre of technical death metal, first?
XBL GamerTag = IAmSentient6

My gear:
Ibanez Artist
ESP ltd Viper 200
Schecter Diamond 8

Amps:
Marhshall MG30 (for sale)
Line 6 Spider III Half Stack (mine forever)
Interested in Melodic Thrash Metal? ALUSTRIUM AND LAST NAIL DRIVEN!
Tech death is more of a blanket term. If it's not melodic/symphonic/melodramaticjazzcore death metal, it's easier to call it 'tech death' than anything else.

Not all TDM bands are bad. Like most genres, there are shitty and cliche compositions that are fairly prominent.

also, troll more
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
Tech death is more of a blanket term. If it's not melodic/symphonic/melodramaticjazzcore death metal, it's easier to call it 'tech death' than anything else.

Why? With all the ridiculous names we;ve come up with for metal you'd think we could call it anything else. It's just not technical. Simple as that.

Not all TDM bands are bad. Like most genres, there are shitty and cliche compositions that are fairly prominent.

Which is what I consider bad.

also, troll more

I don't troll
Quote by BoringUsername
Why is it always so cheesy and simple? Every " technical " band I listen either tremolo picks really fast ( and apparently that's technical ) or just wanks with sweeps. I can play straight up and down a harmonic minor scale too, does this make me a good technical guitarist? No.

So on the other hand, could anyone actually mention some bands that aren't horribly cliche or awful? Obviously I can't listen to every band.

Well, tech-death is really just very technical death metal. The definition of technical is:
1. Of or relating to a particular subject, art, or craft, or its techniques: "technical terms"; "a test of an artist's technical skill".
2. (esp. of a book or article) Requiring special knowledge to be understood: "a technical report."

This means 1: Tech-death is all about advance techniques and their applications. Or 2: You need to be very musically proficient to understand it.

It's a mixture of both. The reason there is a lot of tremolo picking is because to keep a fast, steady pace of it for three-six minutes, is rather difficult. Sweeping, while overused generally, is also difficult to perform. It's very technical .

In my opinion, tech-death is written for musicians. I like Obscura because it seems like the band members know what they're doing and how it works. Everyone in that band (Hannes Grossman?) is very theory proficient. Tech-death is strongly rooted on theoretical grounds (most of the time.)

Tech-death is not just playing a harmonic minor scale up and down. While you might think it's that, I think you aren't listening to tech-death. You might be though. I'll admit, a lot of it is rooted on harmonic minor scales, but more of it is based on eccentric ideas.
Quote by BoringUsername
Why? With all the ridiculous names we;ve come up with for metal you'd think we could call it anything else. It's just not technical. Simple as that.

Which is what I consider bad.

Then you need to lurk more into tech-death. If the prominent ones are cliche and shitty, don't look for the prominent ones. Look for the ones that aren't as mainstream as the prominent ones. If you don't like Cynic, then don't obliquely group everything else called tech-death into one thing. Cynic is not similar to Obscura, but Obscura is similar to Necrophagist, but Necrophagist isn't similar to Atheist. They are all tech-death, but they all sound unique.
listened to obscura (the album) for the first time in a while a few weeks ago and i was like whoaaaa shit still fuckin blew my mind
Quote by carnagereap666
Well, tech-death is really just very technical death metal. The definition of technical is:
1. Of or relating to a particular subject, art, or craft, or its techniques: "technical terms"; "a test of an artist's technical skill".
2. (esp. of a book or article) Requiring special knowledge to be understood: "a technical report."

This means 1: Tech-death is all about advance techniques and their applications. Or 2: You need to be very musically proficient to understand it.

It's a mixture of both. The reason there is a lot of tremolo picking is because to keep a fast, steady pace of it for three-six minutes, is rather difficult. Sweeping, while overused generally, is also difficult to perform. It's very technical .

In my opinion, tech-death is written for musicians. I like Obscura because it seems like the band members know what they're doing and how it works. Everyone in that band (Hannes Grossman?) is very theory proficient. Tech-death is strongly rooted on theoretical grounds (most of the time.)

Tech-death is not just playing a harmonic minor scale up and down. While you might think it's that, I think you aren't listening to tech-death. You might be though. I'll admit, a lot of it is rooted on harmonic minor scales, but more of it is based on eccentric ideas.

Well even guitarists who aren't extremely " skilled " can still tremolo pick like a mother ****er. So I don't count that. And I never found sweeps to be technical, maybe to someone who is just learning, but once you sit down for maybe an hour you could sweep.

I mean bands like Decapitated though. I love Decapitated's music, but christ it's not technical at all. Or Origin, which is just straight 32nd notes. It's boring. I prefer more of the demilich style. It's still not quite " technical " but at least they're actually bothering to make interesting/weird riffs as opposed to just making every song along the same structure.
Most modern tech death is garbage, here is what you want.

Demilich-Nespithe
Morbid Angel-Blessed Are The Sick
Timeghoul-Anything by them
Origin-Informis Infinitas Inhumanitas(very different from what they do these days, barely any sweeping/wankery in comparison)
Suffocation-Peirced From Within
Gorguts-The Erosion Of Sanity
Cryptopsy-Whisper Supremacy

That's a good start for you.I am leaving out some for now though.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Last edited by Riffmast at Sep 16, 2011,
you know, i wonder if like, a really really really good looking group of technical death metal guys (no homo) could actually get girls with their music
I don't care what others say, I am personally very fond of Spawn of Possession.

I also second Riffty's list, and third the rec thread.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Last edited by The Virtuoso at Sep 16, 2011,
spawn of possession put some really ****ing hard work into their music, noctambulant is one of the few metal cds i own... they play their own style like nobodys business 8D
Quote by BoringUsername
Well even guitarists who aren't extremely " skilled " can still tremolo pick like a mother ****er. So I don't count that. And I never found sweeps to be technical, maybe to someone who is just learning, but once you sit down for maybe an hour you could sweep.

I mean bands like Decapitated though. I love Decapitated's music, but christ it's not technical at all. Or Origin, which is just straight 32nd notes. It's boring. I prefer more of the demilich style. It's still not quite " technical " but at least they're actually bothering to make interesting/weird riffs as opposed to just making every song along the same structure.

That guitarist would be skilled in tremolo picking. I learned how to sweep in a couple of days. I got good at it in a couple of years. As of right now, I am perfecting my five string sweeps, working on six string sweeps, and messing around with seven string sweeps. If you are going to act like an elitist and say, "Sweeping is easy! You can learn it in an hour or two." You better back it up with some proof. Sweeping, once you get the hang of it, becomes easier and easier. You can't just learn it in an hour. You can't do that with any technique. Even picking a note takes a couple weeks until you feel comfortable with it, when you are a beginner. Sweeping isn't really impressive once you've been hearing it for a couple of years, but figuring out how to do stuff with it is the hard part.
Quote by carnagereap666
That guitarist would be skilled in tremolo picking. I learned how to sweep in a couple of days. I got good at it in a couple of years. As of right now, I am perfecting my five string sweeps, working on six string sweeps, and messing around with seven string sweeps. If you are going to act like an elitist and say, "Sweeping is easy! You can learn it in an hour or two." You better back it up with some proof. Sweeping, once you get the hang of it, becomes easier and easier. You can't just learn it in an hour. You can't do that with any technique. Even picking a note takes a couple weeks until you feel comfortable with it, when you are a beginner. Sweeping isn't really impressive once you've been hearing it for a couple of years, but figuring out how to do stuff with it is the hard part.

It was a 3 string sweep. I was jamming with a friend and he showed me a shape, I played it a couple times. Got use to it, practiced moving around with it. Got it down. Later on I merged that 3 string into a five string. I have done a 6 string, however I can't really seem to get a good shape or pattern going for it so its frozen for now. But yeah imo I don't think it should take a couple years to get good at it. Unless of course you rarely play your guitar. I suppose it also helps when you're already comfy with your guitar. It's not like I picked up a guitar for the first time and started sweeping. I had already been playing classical and electric for a while before that.
^ This

I've only been playing around two years, but still. I've practiced enough that if sweeping was a basic skill I'd be pretty damned good at it, and I'm still working with three or four string sweeps. And tremolo picking took quite some time because I had to be capable of alt-picking first. If what they're playing is easy for you, shut up and write it yourself.

EDIT: The guy above you, sir.
What's the point of living if you're not living a dream?
Last edited by jazar94 at Sep 16, 2011,
Quote by jazar94
^ This

I've only been playing around two years, but still. I've practiced enough that if sweeping was a basic skill I'd be pretty damned good at it, and I'm still working with three or four string sweeps. And tremolo picking took quite some time because I had to be capable of alt-picking first. If what they're playing is easy for you, shut up and write it yourself.

EDIT: The guy above you, sir.

I actually don't sweep in my music. I refuse to. It's far too overdone. And I am actually writing a kind of music. I don't want to say " technical " because as I said, most tech death bands are either completely un technical or so technical its just bad.

I'm just trying to do something interesting with the diminished minor.
Quote by BoringUsername
It was a 3 string sweep. I was jamming with a friend and he showed me a shape, I played it a couple times. Got use to it, practiced moving around with it. Got it down. Later on I merged that 3 string into a five string. I have done a 6 string, however I can't really seem to get a good shape or pattern going for it so its frozen for now. But yeah imo I don't think it should take a couple years to get good at it. Unless of course you rarely play your guitar. I suppose it also helps when you're already comfy with your guitar. It's not like I picked up a guitar for the first time and started sweeping. I had already been playing classical and electric for a while before that.

Was it a Minor sweep shape? I've found those to be hella easy.

Why would you completely discard sweeping in your music? I mean yeah it does get over used alot, but why not add subtle, more exotic sounding sweeps into your music that go all across the fret board and really give a sense of character and identity?
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Was it a Minor sweep shape? I've found those to be hella easy.

Why would you completely discard sweeping in your music? I mean yeah it does get over used alot, but why not add subtle, more exotic sounding sweeps into your music that go all across the fret board and really give a sense of character and identity?

No minor sweeps. I guess that was technically the first sweep I learned. I even did it on a classical guitar. My friend and I were ripping hxc music about how all of their solos/sweeps were just minor shapes.

But anyways, I just don't feel like sweeping fits in with my music I've written so far. I'm going for more of a demilich kind of feel. I think sweeps would just ruin it.

On a side note, the only time I've seriously done sweeps in public was when I covered the power rangers theme song with a friend.

And I will definitley get on that list of bands, I'm quite satisfied because on most other sites if I ask for metal they'll give me the most main stream band on earth.
Quote by BoringUsername
No minor sweeps. I guess that was technically the first sweep I learned. I even did it on a classical guitar. My friend and I were ripping hxc music about how all of their solos/sweeps were just minor shapes.

But anyways, I just don't feel like sweeping fits in with my music I've written so far. I'm going for more of a demilich kind of feel. I think sweeps would just ruin it.

On a side note, the only time I've seriously done sweeps in public was when I covered the power rangers theme song with a friend.

And I will definitley get on that list of bands, I'm quite satisfied because on most other sites if I ask for metal they'll give me the most main stream band on earth.

Hardcore solos?...Would it be too much to ask if you could give me an example of some bands you are referring to?

Fair enough, I personally like a really fancy pants sweep section in my music. Think Per nilsson/Oli Herbert style sweeps clean and exotic.
Best modern tech death is probably Ulcerate, Augury, Anata, and Spawn of Possession. There might be others, but my more extensive library is on another computer.
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Hardcore solos?...Would it be too much to ask if you could give me an example of some bands you are referring to?

Fair enough, I personally like a really fancy pants sweep section in my music. Think Per nilsson/Oli Herbert style sweeps clean and exotic.

I just kind of took his word for the sweep thing. He was the " core " kid in school and I was the " metal " kid. So yeah, I wouldn't know any exact bands.

And I'm not too familiar with all that remains and haven't listened to enough SS to say much about them.
By hardcore solos, giving that he is a scene kid, he is probably referring to the sweeps used to add character in metalcore and deathcore.

EDIT: That said core kid, my bad. Still, most core kids don't know any actual hardcore punk, just metalcore and deathcore. I love trolling "hardcore fans" who don't even know Dead Kennedys are.
Last edited by jazar94 at Sep 16, 2011,
Quote by BoringUsername
I just kind of took his word for the sweep thing. He was the " core " kid in school and I was the " metal " kid. So yeah, I wouldn't know any exact bands.

And I'm not too familiar with all that remains and haven't listened to enough SS to say much about them.

Ah, gotcha, he was probably referring to most Nu-metalcore bands then, whom DO overuse minor sweeps I must admit.

ATR have some more exotic and sweeter sounding sweeps then most bands in their style and they usually are very clean which is a bonus, but they do at times fall into predictable shapes.

Scar Symmetry's solos(Pers) tend to be extremely melodic, clean as a whistle, and usually don't stick to one set shape.

And listen to dude above you, he mentioned Augury and Anata, therefore he is wise.
Quote by jazar94
By hardcore solos, giving that he is a scene kid, he is probably referring to the sweeps used to add character in metalcore and deathcore.

He wasn't really a scene kid. You would never really tell by looking at him. But I don't really listen to much core music.
i actually sort of like some of that "emocore" stuff like taking back sunday, alexisonfire especially. metalcore/deathcore rarely has the same emotion and power as hardcore/ posthardcore/ emo OR straight up metal
Quote by piratemetalhead
i actually sort of like some of that "emocore" stuff like taking back sunday, alexisonfire especially. metalcore/deathcore rarely has the same emotion and power as hardcore/ posthardcore/ emo OR straight up metal

I endorse and support this message of TBS. :3
I grew up on "emocore", though I'm pretty sure I never used the term "emocore" when describing it. Actually, I had no idea what it was called, because I didn't have internet so I just stole my sister's CDs, but that's besides the point. There is no point, other than "emocore" does not exist and by saying you like "emocore" you're essentially saying you like "nothing."
Quote by jazar94
I grew up on "emocore", though I'm pretty sure I never used the term "emocore" when describing it. Actually, I had no idea what it was called, because I didn't have internet so I just stole my sister's CDs, but that's besides the point. There is no point, other than "emocore" does not exist and by saying you like "emocore" you're essentially saying you like "nothing."

I heard it on the wiki, therefore it must be true. Don't dis da wiki.
I just looked it up Emocore does exist. It's not Alexisonfire though damn you, it's Jimmy Eats World stuff.
i just used it to shorten "emotional hardcore"

and alexisonfire is just awesome anyways; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYr8R8FE264

the tone of the screaming, the way the harsh and melodic vocals flow through each other perfectly (something a lot of other -core bands can take a note from...), and the fact that they wrote such a sick sng about go carting

edit

actually, this song is better i think: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiqpeQdsiB0 , everything about this one is "all killer no filler" xP
Last edited by piratemetalhead at Sep 16, 2011,
the only "modern" tech death I enjoy is spawn of possession. I prefer good song writing over technique.
Listen through this. This is the good stuff. The rest is shit.

Quote by Steve08
I made a rec thread-style list precisely for this moment.

Baby's First Tech Death
Cosmogenesis by Obscura
Of Ashes by Abysmal Dawn
Planetary Duality by The Faceless
Epitaph by Necrophagist

The Best
Everything is Fire by Ulcerate
The Omnipresent Curse by Vengeful
Scepter of the Ancients by Psycroptic
Furioso by Pavor
The Conductor's Departure by Anata

Further Listening
Fragmentary Evidence by Augury
Cryptic Implosion by Odious Mortem
The Thin Line Between by Neuraxis
The Afterthought Ecstasy by First Fragment

Old Skool
Immolation
Morbid Angel
Suffocation
Gorguts
Demilich
Atheist
Monstrosity
Cryptopsy (avoid recent album like the plague)

What to Avoid
Brain Drill
Viraemia
Decrepit Birth (excluding first album, which is nice)
Nah, the only good ones on that list are the old school bands (who may be technical but not really what I think of when someone say "technical death metal") and Ulcerate. The rest are wanky and have the Necrophagist complex.
So I was going to say how I listened to Augury, but apparently I listened to the progressive Augury instead.
Page 1 of 2