Hi everyone

So I've been working on a website over the past month, and the idea of it is to help beginning guitarists learn their fretboard. it's called FretTutor (www.frettutor.com), I put it online a couple of days ago.

Anyway, I've been looking for feedback on it, and I figured you guys would be the ideal people to advise me. Essentially, I put it together because I figured I would have found it useful, but i'd like to know what you guys think of it. Regarding looks, usability, and usefulness. If you're a beginner, would you use it? If you've been playing for a while, would you recommend it? What would you change?

Any advice/comments would be more than welcome! (Also, I hope this isn't against the rules. It's a non-profit website, and it doesn't have a forum, so I don't think it is...)

Thanks,

Mandla
Hey jkielq91

Hm, dunno why the link's not working, but if you just stick the URL (frettutor.com) into your browser, it should be fine.

Regarding the rules, if you show me which rule it's breaking, I'll delete the thread, but as I said, I did check, and it didn't seem like it was in violation.

As I said, I'm just trying to put together something useful, and would appreciate some feedback

Mandla
I didn't like it too much to be honest - it was fairly abstract, functionally, but I admire the spirit in which you are trying to help others. Maybe I'd need a guided tour, so that I can understand how you intend it to be experienced and understood, and I could provide you with some honest feedback and maybe suggestions...

Best,

Sean
It seems alright, I'm not sure if I'd use it though. For the "Play That Note" function, it implies that you already know where the note is on the string it's asking you to play it on, it's not really a guide that will teach you the notes on the fretboard, but more of a test that generates random notes to quiz you with. In that respect I think it's kind of cool that you build a note locator quiz machine, but again, it doesn't teach you the notes on the fretboard. It looks really nice and I can tell you put a lot of effort into it. If you could include some sort of visual for learning the notes on the fretboard (Perhaps one similar to the one on musictheory.net) I think it would be a huge factor in getting people to use your site. As for the random riff generator, I didn't fully understand what was going on there.