For the past few years I've been dreaming of being a guitar teacher, composer, mixing artist, or a guitar maker. So, does anyone have any experience with it or know someone who came out of it? I saw a lot of cool videos on it and I know Paul Gilbert came out of there.
it seems like a solid school for performance. DO NOT go there if you want to teach, as in many more academic circles it has a terrible reputation (moreover its for profit and not regionally acredited--meaning the bachellors you get there is essentially meaningless). if you like there attitude and want somewhere thats accepted as more legitimate, check out Berklee, Belmont CALARTS, UARTS (technically a jazz program but VERY open to rock players), Umiami, or USC. if you don't care about that, just want to play and don't need financial aid I say (seriously) go for it and work very hard (some great players have gone through there and in the 60s-80s they had some of the best guitar teachers in the world teaching there).
i think a couple people on this forum went there, I'm sure they'll chime in.
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)
Last edited by tehREALcaptain at Sep 16, 2011,
I went there.

If you want to be able to say you went to a school that Paul Gilbert went to, go to Musicians Institute.

If you want a solid education and/or a degree that has the slightest chance of getting you work I recommend going to a community college and/or university instead.
shred is gaudy music
A couple of my friends went there for the guitar building program. It's pretty cool, throughout the semester you're designing the body, neck, etc then you paint it and for the final you pick out all your hardware and install it yourself, giving you one badass hand-made guitar. As for going there for their music program, I would do it if I were you. They specialize in taking average players and making them phenomenal.
Those west coast schools have a reputation for turning out some real solid musicians. I'm kind of torn here, one part of me wants to say follow your dreams and do what you really enjoy, the realist in me says it can be a hard way to earning a living for the amount of education time put into it. Good luck to you with whatever road you decide on.
Quote by stevosmusic1
i want to go there too im just a little nervous about the audition...

If you own a guitar, you'll get in. If you don't care about their rep- go for it. MI is a joke!
Quote by Nottachance
For the past few years I've been dreaming of being a guitar teacher, composer, mixing artist, or a guitar maker. So, does anyone have any experience with it or know someone who came out of it? I saw a lot of cool videos on it and I know Paul Gilbert came out of there.

I went there. I don't recommend it.
Quote by MatthewLeisher
A couple of my friends went there for the guitar building program. It's pretty cool, throughout the semester you're designing the body, neck, etc then you paint it and for the final you pick out all your hardware and install it yourself, giving you one badass hand-made guitar. As for going there for their music program, I would do it if I were you. They specialize in taking average players and making them phenomenal.

You only make a single guitar in the whole semester? Unless its a single class thats completely underwhelming.
Quote by lovestations01
Diplomas are just designed to encourage a diversity of approaches to performing, directing and teaching music and to stimulate achievement through acquiring skills, knowledge and understanding.

"Love is not to be with someone, love is to be with someone forever."

NO ME GUSTA ADBOTS
I know someone who went there for drumming and changed into the recording program. He's pretty positive about it but doesn't do music professionally.

I know someone else who is there now for guitar, and she seems pretty enthusiastic about it.

Look, it almost doesn't matter where you go, if you surround yourself with other musicians, competent teachers (which MI has a lot of) and are willing to work your tail off you're going to improve a lot.

On the other hand, most people tend to have a much higher opinion of acreditted schools, which have stuff like endowments, than the for-profit ones.