Hello all, I will be moving to my uncles apartment in Brooklyn this upcoming January. He lives near Prospect Park, specifically Park Slope area. My questions
Is this a "nice" area to live in?(I'm not to picky, just want to know)
Any other tips about how to not be overwhelmed by the city?(I come from a smallish town, 20k ppl)
I SEE A BAD MOON RISING
I SEE TROUBLE ON THE WAY
Brooklyn is horrible. I just remember staying overnight there at a friend's house. Walked out the next day and there was what must have been a gallon full of poop sitting right there on the sidewalk. Never again.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Honestly, just try to stay on your toes. I have friends that live in Brooklyn, and they say that its all just common sense. Its not the nicest area ever. Are there "nicer" areas of Brooklyn? Sure. Are there bad areas that can get you mugged at 1am? Yes.
there's 2 sides to the Prospect Park area, the nice quiet neighborhood and the absolutely terrible neighborhood on the other side. i'm not 100%, but im pretty sure Park Slope is on the better half of Prospect Park so you should be alright.

honestly, it's not as crowded or congested as you might think in Brooklyn (i live in the Marine Park area) and Park Slope is actually a decent area of Brooklyn so i think you'll adjust rather quickly. Manhattan is the real "city" and that's where you might become overwhelmed by the population...but you'll only be visiting anyway.

Quote by Xiaoxi
Brooklyn is horrible. I just remember staying overnight there at a friend's house. Walked out the next day and there was what must have been a gallon full of poop sitting right there on the sidewalk. Never again.

lived in Brooklyn for 18 years...never known anyone who's had anything remotely close to that happen to them. Don't know where the hell you were staying.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Last edited by Waterboy799 at Sep 17, 2011,
Anywhere in Brookyln you go is never considered a 'nice' area.

Just stay cool and don't do anything stupid to get you beat up.

Common sense reigns supreme.

population wise, there really isn't much of a shock.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Quote by DylanHendrix
Hello all, I will be moving to my uncles apartment in Brooklyn this upcoming January. He lives near Prospect Park, specifically Park Slope area. My questions
Is this a "nice" area to live in?(I'm not to picky, just want to know)
Any other tips about how to not be overwhelmed by the city?(I come from a smallish town, 20k ppl)

Hmm... it may smell...
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Quote by Waterboy799

lived in Brooklyn for 18 years...never known anyone who's had anything remotely close to that happen to them. Don't know where the hell you were staying.

The Russian neighborhood...

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
Just don't look at anybody in the eye and you should be good.

If it's anything like North Philadelphia you'll want to avoid general human contact. And 11th Street.
....he's living in Park Slope, arguably one of the nicest areas in Brooklyn. He'll be perfectly alright.

just don't be stupid and look for trouble...just like in any neighborhood.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Prepare to be called an idiot every single day. And don't play any street-side shell games. You can't win.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

I'm from Brooklyn too and that is one of the nicer neighborhoods like Waterboy said. Just have common sense and you will be fine

Edit: What most people said here is true too. Just keep your head up and avoid eye contact, it's gotten me through for a while
Last edited by alexz64 at Sep 17, 2011,
Brooklyn generally sucks. I'm from Spanish Harlem and recently moved out, and apparently it's a really bad place for anyone to be in except for the people that live there. Comparing it to Brooklyn, Brooklyn is way dirtier and the hoodlums are so stupid it's ridiculous. So it's basically a shit area. There are "good parts", but all of the hood trash from the worse areas end up hanging out near good areas. They will only really start with you if you're in the bad part of town or whatever, so stay out of there, especially if you're alone and can't defend yourself.

Oh, and Manhattan is waaay more crowded, so go with someone who knows how to get around if you don't want to get overwhelmed/lost/killed/etc. Have fun with your move.
Brooklyn all day yeah buddy!!! It's a tough neighborhood, but welcome to New York!!
Quote by Xiaoxi

I was jelly of you moving to NY, then I read this.