I wanna know, does the gauge of the pick matter when alternate picking?
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Not necessarily. I'm more comfortable with heavier picks but that's just preference. Plenty of people pick fast with light picks. Try a range of sizes and just use what works best for you.
Gear:

Parker P44
Ibanez RG2 with EMG 81 and 60

Fender Frontman 212R 100w
Peavey Vypyr 30w

Hardwire Valve Distortion
Hardwire Metal Distortion
Hardwire Stereo Chorus
Hardwire Chromatic Tuner
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
It matters in that the one you like the best will help you play the fastest. IME.
Yeah. I just noticed coz I've been picking with a light pick. 0.76.
Now I've switched to a heavier pick (1.00) and my picking has sped up.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
I prefer thick picks. I like them to have no give at all. I always drop my pick when i use the thin ones.
I use Dunlop 1.43 picks or something like that. Stiffer picks are better for picking, but thinner picks are better for strumming chords.
"To this day I don't have a guitar idol. I have people who are my favorites." - Randy Rhoads
If you're hitting the string with the tip of a thin pick, the pick will flex easily.

For fast playing it can be disadvantage because through a fast lick with blistering alternate picking the pick tip may not have come back to its 'rest' position before you have to hit the next string.

Since I'm no where near being Paul Gilbert who can alt pick with just about any gauge, it's just another variable I'd rather not have to deal with so I tend to use thicker gauge and always 1mm or more.
Last edited by Phoenix V at Sep 17, 2011,
Thicker picks don't flex as much, meaning that the amount of energy the pick transfers is much closer to the amount of energy that you put into the stroke. I prefer thick picks, especially since I play some fairly rapid passages using a variety of techniques. a
the shape also matters. i use dunlop ultex sharp picks, 0.9 mm and have no trouble picking fast. i just never liked the feel of 1.5mm + picks.
As long as there's no give in the pick then fast picking should be possible.
Originally posted by raygreendaystud
your a fag, listen to real music like green day, you moron
Yeah it is.
Quote by stealstrings
I wanna know, does the gauge of the pick matter when alternate picking?

It matters to the extent of what's comfortable to you.
Beyond that there is no rule that thicker pick = faster picking.

Personally, I use 1mm dunlop max-grip for .10 strings and heavier.
.88 pick for .09 gauge strings.
I use a Jazz 3 which I think is about 1.3mm, but the shape of the pick and the material it's made out of matters a lot too.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
using a 4.5 mm pick here..... can confidently say its the fastest pick ive used :P

but as long as the pick doesnt flex too much you should be fine
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Just try both, and see what you like
Not exactly a frequent poster.
Quote by oneblackened
I use a Jazz 3 which I think is about 1.3mm, but the shape of the pick and the material it's made out of matters a lot too.

+1

Jazz 3 is the one that i use too. With thinner picks, the strings tends to offer more resistance therefore i have to pick harder. Also the shape of the Jazz 3 being so small and very pointy helps a lot to pick faster in comparison with a Dunlop Tortex's pick which edges is more rounded.

The problem with thicker picks is the muffled tone and lower volume, which i think is the reason why Paul Gilbert use thinner picks. Personally i use a thinner pick (0.73mm) to play the acoustic because with a Jazz 3 the tone suffers too much, but on the electric with a decent amount of distortion, the difference in tone doesn't stand out that much with the pick's gauge.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS

The problem with thicker picks is the muffled tone and lower volume, which i think is the reason why Paul Gilbert use thinner picks. /QUOTE]

Yeah, that is a good point. I'm pretty tempted to start using lighter picks for this reason. Would also be nice to play some chords once in a while, which isn't really on the cards when you're using a 3mm string raper.
Chords are degfinitely not out of the question with a thicker picker. You have to exercise more control when playing them, but they are definitely very doable with a thick pick. Try it; I promise they won't come out as djents.